1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seeing a psychologist.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Dinah, May 6, 2014.

1. Dinah

Third star to the right & straight on til morning.
    I just started seeing a therapist 'friend of the family' to try and get a handle on my depression. Still struggling with the idea that I should be a woman, it feels so right and it feels so wrong. I don't know if this therapist has had any experience with transgender issues, so I don't know if I should say anything or if I should and if I do, how to go about it.

Please, I need some advice..... :frowning2:

2. KTaylor2013

Well I've never been to a therapist but I would think, like a nurse, you won't be the weirdest person they've seen today. I wouldn't worry too much (hypocritical, I know, sorry) I mean they're there to provide a judgement-free environment. Let me know how it goes and remember, we're here for you!

3. DangerAlex

Whether or not the therapist has handled Transgender issues before, he or she is still most likely better qualified to address your concerns than most people. Gender identity is part of the psychology curriculum when you go to school to be a therapist or counselor, although obviously some will choose to specialize in that area while others will specialize in other areas, like addiction, abuse, relationship counseling, etc. But if your therapist feels unprepared or ill-equipped to help you with your particular concerns, any good counselor will refer you to someone who WOULD be able to help you.

So I guess what I'm saying is that you should definitely talk to your therapist. If he or she can't help you, then they can refer you to someone who will.

Good luck!

4. Dinah

Third star to the right & straight on til morning.
    Thanks for the advice y'all. Ultimately, I probably would have come to the same conclusion, but it's nice to 'hear' someone else confirm it.