1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low Testosterone?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by gayangel, May 11, 2014.

1. gayangel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,
    I'm new here and this is my first thread.
    I've been dealing with depression and anxiety for the better part of a year now and I am slowing crawling out of it (I hope for good this time) and I was talking to my sister about it and she mentioned something about low testosterone?
    Is this a legitimate problem? I have a tendency not to eat much food (as I have become quite the social recluse even though I've always been an out-going extrovert in the pre-depression) and I hardly exercise. I have a difficult time being angry or exerting myself for even a short period of time.
    I guess you could say I'm skinny for my height but I am trying to make a conscious effort these days to eat more than usual.
    Are there any steps that I can take to increase my testosterone levels a bit more? I've heard low testosterone can cause depression but because I am also dealing with anxiety I find my mind and body are always overworked as is.
    Any advice is welcome.

2. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I know also the contrary, that depression lowers libido, for example. Before you get depressed, did you have problems?

3. polarpol

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think, from the standpoint of someone who's not a doctor, the problem is low endorphins, dopamine or serotonine. In any of those cases, you could fix this by doing physical activities. Walking a block a day would be a minimum.

4. gayangel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not that I know of. I've had back-problems and that's about it. I'm curious because I seem to only get emotional rarely angry and my voice doesn't seem to have dropped. Could it have something to do with late puberty?

5. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I dunno because I'm not a doctor but at the first sight, it seems that your problems are relatived to your depression. Did you go to the GP? Maybe he/she could tell you more information!

6. Claudette

Claudette Guest

Ok, I'll shed abit of light on my story, I have said it before, in fragments around the site... but I really can relate.
    1.) I hit puberty when I was 16/17 (Yes I was only about 5'4'' 110 pounds until the 10th grade lol)
    2.) I am the black sheep of my family in more ways then one, however I am the middle child, I stand at 5'10'' 140 pounds (175 before HRT) with little to no physical strength, My brothers are both 6'1'' both are over 230 pounds, and built. My father is 6'0'' and easily 275, he is built like a damned bear. my mother is 5'10'' and around 220 pounds.
    3.) I had low Testosterone, after a few tests it was discovered I had higher estrogen levels, DNA work showed many of what would be "normal" testosterone receptors are progesterone & estrogen receptors (women have more of the latter as well)
    4.) a fateful doctors visit a few months past showed I had ovaries and a partial uterus, meaning I was never a male, but intersex. it is called "Persistent Mullerian Duct Syndrome" it effects only an estimated 4% of the male population worldwide and usually goes unnoticed.

I would get some blood work done, and maybe some DNA tests as well which will let you know if the low T is a genetic problem or not.
    Low T usually only effects males over 65

There is also some genetic play in the whole thing, how much hormones your were exposed to in the womb, a genetic sequence.. I am trying to remember the specific sequence name

#6 Claudette, May 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2014
  7. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Low testosterone can give symptoms like yours but usually in much older people.

The thing to do is mention it to your doctor who may say get a blood test to check hormone levels