1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

having a good body is my dream...

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Despitelove, May 14, 2014.

1. Despitelove

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    you know..... some people are genetically born with some characteristics that make them really big, muscle toned, when they get older and start working out. I am not one of them. I am quite short, have a middle scoliosis and a body that I'm not satisfacted with (I always look at the mirror and try to tell me ''How beautiful am I'' but I know I'm lying to myself). My body is not attractive at all. My dream is to have a body like the one of an actor... plus I'm gay, so I don't get how someone could like me If I don't like my body myself.
    I try to keep fit, but it's hard. I'm way too skin and working out doesn't seem to have much effect....that's because I would have to change my diet and start eating in a different way. Will I ever be able to have a good body? I 'm so desperate. Tell me I 'm not the only one who struggles with body satisfaction.

2. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For gaining weight as muscle you need tons of protein, and tons of working out. And obviously tons of patience and persistence. But I just keep thinking "If you're not doing this you'll never be loved you piece of sh*t" if I ever feel like missing out on a workout course or eating one more spoon of rice. So far it's been working. But I also enjoy doing it because my mind also receives a refresh every time.

3. Sotv

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you have a high metabolism that stops you gaining weight then it's important to get the right diet.
    If you look at "myprotein"'s website it has a wide variety of shakes designed for mass gains aswell as meal plans and routines. It's the cheapest protein going and if your committed you can get non harmful pills on there like creatine that are designed to increase the aesthetic appeal of muscles aswell as making you gain around 5lbs of water weight.
    Another option regarding diet is the "macro: meal replacers" they sell. It contains huge amounts of protein and slow release carbs and because it is In shake form it doesn't make you think "I'm gonna get so fat" when you drink it.
    The key really is diet and this is the easiest way to change your diet as it is simply an extra shake or tablet a day.
    I've found over the last month that I've doubled my dumbell lift, feel far more alert and feel more attractive. I'm very self conscious and for the first time in years I'm thinking "In a month when I'm at the beach I will be proud to go topless"
    I'm not on commission to sell you protein products but this is just my honest experience of them and if your looking to feel better about yourself and overcome "skinniness" this is the way I would personally go

EDIT: and as far as your height goes, my boyfriend is 5ft7 and I love him to pieces! :slight_smile: it's good to be short cus it makes you lovely to hug, embrace it ! :slight_smile:

4. Ridiculous

Why do you treat your diet as something you can't change?

5. Trentacles

Depending on age they might be stuck eating whatever their parents give them. I just generally eat whatever my mum gives me.

6. Rumpletubb

7. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Make sure any workout plan is approved by a doctor. Scoliosis is nothing to play around with. Someone I know has it, and they injured their back doing too many sit-ups. Not saying to avoid working out but take it easy.

8. Rumpletubb

Darn good point.

9. Despitelove

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    having scoliosis and not being able to do some exercises of body building makes me feel like my body will never be muscle toned.I am so desperate, I know it's a matter of self esteem but I don't really understand why a boy should prefer me when there are a lot of hot boys around the world....do you think that everyone can have a good body or just the ones who are genetically predisposed?

10. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't make the same mistake that I used to. Looks aren't everything. Sure your body is what's first seen by others, but if someone gets to know you and that someone isn't a complete dick, they will accept some of your shortcomings. That's how a relationship is supposed to work, because noone is perfect. Not everyone wants a good-looking but generally an asshole-type of guy, so don't think noone is going to be after you.

Oh and lastly... it's always better to be skinny (which I don't think is being ugly at all, and I don't get why some think it is) than to be fat, trust me. It's a lot more difficult to get a satisfying result when you have to go the other way.

11. Ridiculous

Scoliosis would definitely make some exercises unsuitable but it doesn't meant you can't do anything. You should get any exercise plan checked with a doctor first, but I expect you would be able to do things like the bench press and leg extensions where you don't need you back to support you. Other exercises (like dumbell curls) could easily be modified so you are doing them from a lying position on a bench.
    Definitely ask your doctor first but I doubt you need to resign yourself to never doing anything.

12. Despitelove

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    thanks, but scoliosis is a permanent condition you can't change, while someone who is fat can get skinner with a diet. It's not the same thing.

However I will try to follow your advice, in the meantime I am doing some exercise with a trainer who knows my condition, but things don't seem to get really better. I think I will have to wait for a long time to have better results. I also swim two times a week.

I have improved my posture but I'm not satisfacted with my body overally. My bones are really small, my body is skinny and doing some exercise doesn't seem to make it really that stronger.

#12 Despitelove, May 17, 2014
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
  13. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My relative with scoliosis has the same problem. He can't gain weight, then it also causes stomach problems because the pain goes through to his ribs. I feel for hm. His car accident made things a lot worse.

As someone who is bi and somewhat overweight, I'd much rather have a skinny guy than someone like myself. I would try to build your arms up if you can. I know that is still hard, but it has to be easier than doing crunches, situps, or push-ups.

Best of luck.

#13 QueerTransEnby, May 17, 2014
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
  14. Despitelove

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    being raised by a schizoid / paranoid parent whose only concern is about body (I would call it an obsession) and not being equivalent to her model of son, I have developed some fears and concerns myself. I ask whether I will have ever a boyfriend, I'm really unsure and self conscious about myself, when I go out I wonder what people will think about me. That is what my mother taught me. She cares only about it, she would like me to be like Brad pitt or David beckham, and she doesn't seem to be satisfacted for her son. Maybe if I were that type of boy, straight muscle toned and so on, she wouldn't have all these concerns.

15. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh then it's clear who's at fault here, it's not you at all. A truly loving parent loves his/her child no matter what. Maybe you need to remind your mother about that.

16. AdelOwl

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would second this. I have a very high metabolism and find it really difficult to put on any kind of weight (muscle or fat). The only time I succeeded was by going to the gym five times a week and eating a ridiculous amount of protein, mainly tuna, chicken or peanut butter as I don't like protein shakes. In the end, I didn't have time to keep it up and lost the extra muscle as soon as I cut down going to the gym. So basically it can be done but you have to decide if it's worth it and it sounds like the scoliosis would make it very difficult. Being healthy and exercising are the most important things and it sounds like you're doing this with the swimming etc. I'm sorry that your mother is making you feel this way, but the problem is with her, not you.

17. 741852963

Sure, but the important thing to remember is the end results may vary.

I think the idea of the three somatypes definitely stands true:

[​IMG]

There are three basic builds (although some middle ground between them) with different propensities for gaining fat and muscle. For example ectomorphs don't tend to put on fat but struggle putting on muscle, and endomorphs can easily put on muscle but also put on fat a lot quicker.

Now most shirtless actors (your Ryan Reynolds, Chris Evans types) and mens health models (neither really my cup of tea I'll add!) seem to be mesomorphs or ecto-mesomorphs. But thats not to say an ectomorph cannot bulk up, or a endomorph cannot slim down. They just have to take different approaches and the end results may look a bit different. For an extreme example compare the actor Rain (probably an ectomorph or ecto-mesomorph) to The Rock (an meso-endomorph or endomorph) - both are probably at the extreme peaks of their potential fitness yet have very different builds.

Whilst I'm in no way endorsing this programme (I've never used it and have no experience of it) this website does act to give some good examples of what realistic transformations are possible for ectomorphs: Bony to Beastly – The muscle-building program for skinny guys

I personally prefer some of the before photos and some of the afters, but thats just me. Everyone has different goals and likes and thats fine! It looks a safe and healthy result though (not extreme or over the top) which is what I'm trying to point out.

I will leave you with this which I think is a very important watch though. In summary don't get disheartened from believing everything you see. There is a lot of camera trickery, good lighting, photoshop, oiling, pumping and flexing and general deception in TV, magazines and the media:

[YOUTUBE]Shocking Before and After Fitness Transformation in 5 Hours EXPOSED! | Furious Pete - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]

So don't compare yourself unnecessarily to others who may have had a very unsporting advantage lurking behind the scenes (or ridiculous amounts of expensive personal training or supplements). In real life people have acne, body fat, body-hair, scars, birthmarks, moles and thats perfectly natural. Workout to get healthy and have fun changing your body for you if you like, but don't get bogged down on comparisons and stats.

Hope this helps. Have fun!

---------- Post added 18th May 2014 at 09:20 AM ----------

And on the scoliosis. I'd say firstly its probably a lot more common than you think. I have mild scoliosis that thankfully I've been told requires no treatment although I've seen some articles suggesting certain exercises using wall bars have been proven very effective at minimizing the curve or even removing it.

Now I'd imagine they are quite expensive but if you have quite severe scoliosis and space in a garage or something it may be something to consider. I'm sure they'd also make a great workout tool for bodyweight exercises in their own right so it wouldn't be too big a waste if it doesn't correct the scoliosis.

#17 741852963, May 18, 2014
    Last edited: May 18, 2014