1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Therapist is switching offices

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Tightrope, May 16, 2014.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So you folks might know I've been seeing a therapist for about 5 or 6 months. It has been working out fine.

I just learned he is moving to another practice. With Jan. 1, my insurance carrier did make changes which required I change MDs. I did NOT like my previous MD, so that turned out to be a blessing because I got a new MD who is in-network and who I like because the personal fit is so much better.

Now, I will have to see if this new mental health practice is in-network. The insurance company is the same as last year's, but they've gone more HMO-like with more restrictive pools from which you can pick your providers. It would make more sense to allow me to continue with this current mental health professional than to be moved over and start over. After a horrible experience with therapy around 2005 and 2006 and obvious countertransference, which I've discussed with this current therapist, I do not want to start over. I have gotten to trusting this therapist and like working with him.

When I learned this, I went into a real funk. I'm not out of this funk yet, either.

2. Lindsey23

That sucks, I'm sorry. My insurance changed shortly after I started seeing my therapist and she became out of network for me. I'm not comfortable changing therapists though so I've been paying more to see her. It totally sucks. I was able to get something called continuation of care though. My new insurance let me see her for a few months under my old rate. It was temporary though. I wish there was a better system for this. They have to know it's hard for people to switch therapists.

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was thinking something like this had to exist. Right now I'm on the fence.

The new office does accept that type of insurance, being that it's a fairly large company, but they've organized into pools of practitioners. Simply being in another pool (network) among those available within my insurance would make this therapist out-of-network. I suppose I could go less often and pay out-of-network for a while. This therapist has a good middle-of-the-road style that isn't too loose yet not cold and clinical, and this works for me.

This is something I didn't want to deal with this year, especially after settling in with this therapist and getting a primary care doctor I like with the new year's changes. I'll find out more on this soon.

4. 741852963

I can't offer any advise but I can sympathise. I had a brilliant counsellor who damn near saved my life who was transferred to a different role never to be seen again. At the time I remember I really grieved and went into mourning at this loss as I was making great progress but the good news is I am still here today. You are probably a lot stronger than you think so although this is a difficult time you can get through it.

I would say try to continue seeing your therapist if possible, if not see if they can wrap things up for you gently, providing assistance, guidance and support to help you transition to a new therapist or continue self-therapy if you choose.