1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hallucinations?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by JacobZ, May 18, 2014.

1. JacobZ

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'm planning to visit a new psychiatric this Tuesday, and decided to tell her about what I think could be called hallucinations. I'm posting this now to know what your opinions are(I mean, I don't want to go and tell this person that I don't know that I'm hallucinating, and then it turns out it's all me being paranoid).

First of all, I'm a perfectionist. I can spend three hours trying to draw two eyes & erasing them because they are not "symmetrical". When I was 13, I had to do this miniature of a cell. So I had already planned five days before the dead line how I was going to do it. The day I was going to do it, I had this idea (I don't know where it came from) and I grabbed a carton, made a paper ball, pasted it in the center and wrote "nucleus". I then contemplated that "miniature" and thought it was fascinating and I was going to get a 12 (the teacher rated it from 1 to 12, being 12 the best). The next day I took that to class (still fascinated by the "beautiful" thing I had done). When I opened the door to enter the class and saw what my classmates had done and saw all this people laughing at me, it hit me that what I had was indeed horrible. I have to admit that I still stay some nights thinking how that was so far away from what I though it really was.

Last week, I was looking through the window waiting for my sister to come from school (I live in the first floor of a building). I saw the car come and before it had parked, I was opening the door. I looked at my watch (it was 17:13, and my sister comes 17:20) before going down stares. When I was half way down, my sister came up running and she told me they have been calling me to open the door for ten minutes or so, and that a friend of hers opened the door. I was going to tell her how that was impossible because of the hour, when I looked at my watch and discovered it was 17:27. I was surprised, because of the hour and because I had seen them arrive. I still can't imagine myself looking 10 minutes through the window like dumb without having noticed it.

Lastly, I should say that I sometime "suffer" of sleep paralysis. I usually wake up and if I stay more than five minutes doing nothing, I freeze and am unable to move. To "go back to normal" I have to talk or move, which usually takes up to a minute or so. When "I decide to talk to unfreeze myself" I tend to say something like "Lalalala" or "Hello". Two or three of the times I choose to talk, it went something like this:
    I open my mouth and I say (insert text here). Then I start moving and it's all back "to normal". And then I realize I never really talked. I mean, it was all just in my mind. I never really opened my mouth, I never really talked, and I never really moved. So I'm still "frozen". And it could have passed seconds, minutes or hours by and I really didn't noticed. I was in my "happy world" created by mi mind to make me believe I had had the ability to "unfreeze" myself.

I may as well add that I don't have the ability to "sense how much time has gone by"(I could tell you I did something last year, and it could have been last week or five years ago). Also, some parts of my memory are black(I don't remember them)(for example, when I was four to seven, I ate in school. I only remember one of this times, (when I was six or so) but I remember being disoriented and not knowing why I was there and who were the people besides me). When I remember any memory(even if it was of a minute ago what I'm remembering) I see it as if I'm watching a movie, not as if I ever lived it.

I'm sorry if I made this post long or if this is just some kind of nonsense, I had to ask someone's opinion about it.

#1 JacobZ, May 18, 2014
    Last edited: May 18, 2014
  2. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Hmm, all of those things you describe happening (hallucinations, sleep paralysis, memory blanking) have happened to me, but they are the result of taking (and withdrawing from) benzodiazpine medication. Are you taking any medications like that which could be causing these symptoms?

3. JacobZ

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    No, the last time I took medication I was 10/11 (probably) and it must have been because of a cold or something like that

4. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Have you ever had an EEG or been tested for seizures? I've had petite mals where I would blank out and lose time.

5. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Well you said you're visiting a new psychiatrist, so I assumed you must have been seeing an old psychiatrist previously?

But you really haven't taken any medication since you were 10 or 11 years old, and it was for a cold?

6. JacobZ

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    No, I've never had an EEG nor have I been tested for seizures. (And now that I think it, I should have had)

Yes, four years ago I started seeing a psychiatrist, but I stopped seeing her last year. This year when I wanted to start seeing her again, I had problems with my timetable, so my mother made an appointment with another psychiatrist. I know I have a(or perhaps more than one) mental problem, but because I'm a minor no one seems interested in telling me what's wrong with me.
    Now that I think of it, recently I have been taking vitamins(not that I want to), but this type of problems started before that.

7. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would go ahead and tell the psychiatrist. The loss of time and sleep paralysis could be caused by many brain conditions ranging from electrical to chemical or even physical. Same with hallucinations. I mean it couldn't hurt to let her know.

What do mean by this? Are you saying that people aren't taking you seriously, or that they won't let you in on your diagnosis?

8. JacobZ

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    People won't tell me know my diagnosis (it shouldn't be legal to hide information of my interest, should it?)

9. Lindsey23

Were you maybe seeing a psychologist? A psychiatrist is someone who prescribes medication and a psychologist is someone you meet with, usually once a week, to discuss your problems. Either way I think you should tell them. They can't help you if they don't know what is going on.

Also, I've heard that doctor's are reluctant to diagnose teenagers with mental conditions because their brains are still growing and they might outgrow certain things. So it's possible you haven't been diagnosed with anything. I'm not sure though and I don't know about the legality of withholding information from you. Ask your parents and your doctor about it. If you tell them how important it is for you to know if you've been diagnosed with anything they might tell you. Shoot, they might want to tell you and are just waiting for the right time.