1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Mental Health

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by IG88, May 20, 2014.

1. IG88

Today my mom dropped a semi-bombshell on me. It has to do with my dad, but I still have no clue what it is, and they're not going to tell me what happened/what the secret is, and it's going to remain secret.

I like to think myself a strong person mentally, but I'm being pushed by this to actually consider seeing a therapist. On top of this news, I almost constantly question my sexuality, and think about the implications would be with my relationships if I came out.

It causes me anxiety, but I've never had an anxiety attack, or if I had they must have been minor. I don't know if I qualify for therapy...I sometimes have obsessions, but not OCD, I sometimes get anxious or depressed, but not enough for a panic attack or something like that. I'm wondering how much of this can I take by myself, how much can I take by getting help from EC, and how much can I take before seeking a psychologist? Seeing a therapist is for more serious problems, but idk when this would be considered serious enough to go. :help:

2. kyfry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Talk to someone. Therapist, friend, family member, anyone. Trust me. I kept all my feelings and what not bottled up until I started getting very severe depression and anxiety. It led to a trip to the psych unit, therapy and lots of antidepressant drugs.

Its okay that you are still questioning, but again talk to someone about it. I hid my sexuality for 10 years until my mental breakdown. Im now out and open to anyone about my feelings, anxiety and sexuality and I feel much more relieved about it now. I still struggle with anxiety alot but overall Im doing much better now.

Trust me when I say this, even if it is something very minor talk to someone. Your mental health is something that you should take seriously no matter how big the issue.

3. Lindsey23

Seeing a therapist isn't only for serious problems. A lot of people go for just a short while to get through a difficult time/situation in their lives. Maybe that's all you need. I would definitely give it a shot, it can be very helpful. Don't worry about not qualifying either. All you have to say is, "I'm struggling with a few issues..." and go from there.

4. IG88

Thanks all!

I'm sorry for what you had to go through kyfry.

Now I have to decide who to talk to...

5. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, talking is good for you … and here too on EC of course.

Unlike your mother who does not talk enough. What kind of mind game is she playing about your father - doesn't she realise you will just assume the worst and worry unnecessarily.

Why not ask him direct what is going on??