1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you need to be in a committed relationship to have sex?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by marcos220000, May 23, 2014.

1. marcos220000

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been asking myself about this lately.

I've never had sex with someone with which I hadn't been in a relationship at the moment. Now that I've been single for a long time, and I've felt a strong need to have sex but don't really know anyone I'd like to have a serious relationship with, I've asked myself if it's ok to have a sexual encounter with someone who's not, and it's not going to be, my partner.

What do you think? (Please excuse my English)

2. channel4399

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I think it's perfectly fine to have sex with anyone you want even if you're not in a relationship. Sex is just two people shoving their sex organs together if you really think about it. If you feel comfortable enough with the idea then I say do it. Sex isn't this holy, sacred thing unless you believe it is. If you feel it's okay to do than it is. I think it's perfectly fine though

3. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know that for myself, I can't enjoy sex with either gender unless I'm in a relationship with that person. I'd rather use my imagination and get myself off rather than have sex with some random person, but that's not me. I understand sex is just sex and whatever other people do I don't criticize.

4. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

"I" need to, but don't set yourself for someone else's standards. It's all what you think.

5. CuteZhemn

Out Status:
    A few people
    No but its safer.

6. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's up to you. I'd need to be in a relationship for this though. It's the question of whether you value your body, or the sensations more.

7. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Not necessarily. So long as it's safe, consensual and you take the proper precautions, certainly nothing wrong with a hook-up. Get tested regularly especially if you have multiple sex partners and always use a condom. Even if a guy says he's clean, a lot of StDs show up negative on tests until weeks after the fact.

8. GeekMonkey

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's fine. Just because society prefers one type of expressing one's sexuality doesn't mean it's the only " right" way or even better.
    I think it's ridiculous how sex is seen as a) something overly important b) something "sacred" and " special" and c) even the genitals are considered "special" in some way.
    I mean two people may rub whatever body parts they want together, but if it's THOSE body parts, everyone gets all moral and preachy about it.
    Genitals are just like any other part of the body, and if two people feel like putting theirs together to feel good, what could possibly be wrong with that?!

9. justjade

You don't have to even be in a relationship to have sex. There are really no "rules" about when or with whom to have sex. However, it's safer both physically and psychologically if you wait until you're in a relationship.

10. apostrophied

Yeah, but by the time you test positive, it's kinda like too late, you know? =/ Testing doesn't do much for prevention other than hopefully damage control. And even for damage control it may be too little, too late, unless you get tested after each partner, (taking into account incubation periods) which you are highly unlikely to do if you engage in serial hookups...

OP, no, *technically*, you do not need to be in a relationship to have sex. I'd say that for your safety, however, it would be highly advisable to hold off until you are. Unless you're talking about a FWB type of thing, in which case I would argue that it's the safety of the friendship that would be at risk lol.

11. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. Have sex with whoever you want - as long as they are consenting and of legal age. Just remember to use protection with no exceptions, and keep your wits about you. There still seems to be a social stigma surrounding casual hookups, but there is really nothing harmful about it - most people you encounter aren't going to be crazy or with ill intentions - they're just looking for the same thing you are - and no doubt they are probably wondering if you're a crazy person too.

I would reiterate what GeekMonkey says - sex preludes romance, and it's really not a big deal at all. It's just something people do because being naked with other people is a lot of fun.

#11 imnotreallysure, May 24, 2014
    Last edited: May 24, 2014
  12. DangerAlex

I've had great, fun sex with people with whom I was not in a relationship. I've only ever had two one-night stands before with two girls at my college and I used protection both times. Mostly it was friends-with-benefits situations. But I must say, when I'm having sex with someone I have feelings for, the sex is significantly better. Sex with my boyfriend, we've both used the expression "mind-blowing" before to describe it.

Casual sex isn't for everyone, but there's certainly nothing wrong with it. It's a matter of personal preference. Good luck!

13. starfish

I usually don't even bother learning their name. Just remember to be safe about it.

14. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. A relationship is not a requisite for sexual encounters.

Happy days :slight_smile:

15. themoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I personally don't have a problem with sex outside of relationships. That being said, I think it depends on the situation - going out clubbing, getting smashed and hooking up with a random person is a no-go for me (you're drunk, it's not going to be a good night and you might end up doing something you regret). On the other hand, meeting with people through apps and so on (within reason, being safe etc etc etc) doesn't bother me so much as I know that I'm in more control.

On the other hand, when you're in a relationship you learn what your partner likes and they learn what you like, so I find sex within a relationship can be ultimately more enjoyable. When single though, practise makes perfect :slight_smile:

16. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, but I think you have better sex in a committed relationship.

17. no.

but it depends on who youre asking. everyone has different opinions. there sint a right or wrong answer.

18. MonsterAnarchy

you can have sex with whoever you want!! :grin:
    just as long as you are single, and the person youre gonna have sex with is single, also c:

19. guitar

As others have said, a relationship is not required. Some people would rather be in a relationship (or even fully married) before they have sex, but other people can not even be acquaintances; and either scenario is fine in my books.

As MonsterAnarchy alluded to, the best case scenario with 2 people deciding to have sex is they're both single and practice safe sex.

20. Runner5

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think it is pretty important to do it with someone you trust at least. A relationship or love is great, but I would at least need someone who cares about my well-being.