1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speech problems

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by jayden, Apr 13, 2007.

1. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ive been thinking about posting this from day one but am very red faced about it and over the years have been upset about it sometimes. i dont no if anyone can tell from my posts that im not a very good writer or speller. I have a pretty bad speech problem, i stutter. My mum and dad have sent me to a speech clinic a few times but nothing has really works. Im in my 2nd last yr of high school now which is 11th grade. My grades at school have never really been good and i think that maybe i should of quit school last year and try to have gone out in the work force? I have been teased at school for not only being the shortest but also because of my speech and i think that some kids think that im gay. Im now nearly crying typing this but i glad ive told everyone.

2. greg

Hey jarden just remember that no one is perfect it is our imperfections that make us unique, special. You may be short but from what I've read of yours you sound like some one with a huge personality and thats important, a lot of greats in history were short but no one noticed. As for you stuttering I'm not a speech therapist I can only pass on the experience of a friend of mine from high school (35 years ago) he also stuttered and worried about it then one day he was confronted by a bigger problem (part of growing up i guess) however it made him forget about his stuttering and worrying about it then it disappeared and he didnt even notice until some one pointed out to him that he wasnt stuttering. All i can say is sounds like you have bigger issues to worry about put that one away for a while, best of luck with every thing you"ll get there. greg

3. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Jayden, have you been checked for possible dyslexia? It can have a heck of an impact on your ability to formulate writing and spelling, but it can be dealt with. When I was in school there was no recognition of such a thing and until my 40's I was always having to use the dictionary to find how to spell a word (rather difficult since if you don't know how to spell it, how can you find it- Catch 22 ). But now I surprise myself and most of the time spell things that I never thought possible. Just something in the brain finally coming together I guess. But the caveat is that some days are better than others, days when I can spell and days that it is best not even try to write anything. Weird in a way, but tiredness has a lot to do with it too.

For your writing, well write. Start a journal and write in it daily or every few days. I also read a lot and it was difficult, but I found that I really enjoyed it, but it also taught me about style and how to put things together in a comprehensive way. Over time with writing and reading I developed my own style and now I have a number of people asking that I write something for their business or for an idea because they don't know how so much, but I seem to be able to do it.

My biggest problem was having all the letters to a word but they were out of place, but I couldn't see that. Now after all these years I can. Same with numbers. I would transpose them but to me it was the right number. Just take your time and do things for you and in time that "something" falls into place in the brain.

I will have to take some time and find an article or paper on stuttering as there are a few techniques out there now that for some seems to work. I have just forgotten it for now. But one thing is to say the word in your head first and don't rush things. It is a bit of a neuro or nerve flow pattern. I'll get some info and send it on to you. It can be overcome.

As for the short stature, I wouldn't worry about it as now there is nothing you can do about it. Know it can be a source of teasing and youth can be so cruel without actually realizing it. But good things come in small packages. It may not be much comfort to you, but my partner is only 5'3" and I am 6'1" but it works very well and he has a tall stature with all his other attributes. As Greg said above, your personality sounds great and when all else is considered, that is a huge positive attribute. I know a few people who are considered part of the "beautiful people" but their personality is a dud. Without that, you are pretty much dead in the water in most situations. You'll never have that problem I would wager.

When I find that info I will PM it to you. Cheers.

#3 JayHew, Apr 14, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
  4. Jim1454

Jayden, Like Greg, I'm really surprised to read your post. In this forum, I've actually never noticed that your writing isn't very good. What I have noticed is that you are a really bright and insightful guy for someone that is only 16. You're positive and supportive and funny - and those qualities do go a LONG way in a person. Kids in highschool can be really cruel - usually to cover for their own insecurities.

Stick with school as long as you can - you'd regret quiting in the long run - I'm sure.

And with respect to being shorter or looking younger, well there isn't much you can do about it, so try not to let it bother you. And while it isn't much consolation, at the age of 35 I really wish I did look younger than I really am!!!

My sister is a speach and language therapist - I'll try to remember to talk to her about stuttering the next time I see her.

Jim

5. Jerr

I am a horrid speller but I do have a secret... The new Firefox has a little bit of a spell check on it... so every time I misspell a word it will give me possible replacements. Now sometimes I trash a word so bad that well..... It doesn't even hit the same ballpark when it gives me suggestions... When that happens I just change what I say and move on. I must say it has helped my typing a ton. I now put in 's in like don't doesn't won't things like that without even thinking.

Not it isn't like Microsoft Word where it will help you with grammar but it gets the spelling thing down.

6. Steam Giant

I know how you feel. I stutter too sometimes, that and my tongue keeps wanting to slip out when I say my "S"'s. I went to speach therapy as a kid, and really, it only helped while I was actually in therapy, heh. There's a lot to be said about therapy, but people react differently to different situations, and there are also many, many different causes for stuttering. For me, it has a lot to do with confidance.

As far as having difficulty writing, I found this statistic to be particularly interesting: 1 out of every 5 people (in america at least, it was an american study) is dyslexic to some degree. Dyslexia comes in many shapes and forms, and as a dyslexic/dysgraphic myself, my best advice...and this may sound like crap, but it's true...is practice. Doing something that requires a substantial amount of writing or typing really helps! I hold AOL Instant Messenger, IRC and MMORPGs nearly 100% responsible for the message I'm typing today.

Now, just to be clear: there's no cure, but you can learn to work around it in time. I still have difficulty reading out loud, it takes me a long while to read something, and I still transpose my letters when I'm highly emotional or in a hurry, but you'll find that you'll significantly improve in just a few years as long as you keep at it ^^

I'd also like to point out that you aren't necesarily dyslexic, heh. There are tests for that. If you think you may be, I would highly recommend finding out for certain. In the very least, it's good for piece of mind.

Highschool students can be really cruel, and I can totally understand your situation. Unfortunately, how people cope with ridicule is different from person to person. I would not recommend doing what I did, heh. I know it's really hard to do, but it really is good to try and ignore it. They don't always stop when you try to tune them out, but some bullies will get bored. Like I said, though, it's different for everybody. I wish I could give you better advice than that ; ;

7. Blamblazer

Blamblazer Guest

First, I know that it's an important part of the social structure of high school to have people think of you a certain way -- but so what if they think you're gay? Is that really so bad? I kinda wish they would have thought of me as gay in high school because I was so gay but I denied it openly and to myself.

Second, use your stature to your advantage. Smaller means more agile -- faster -- and frankly harder to topple. Don't think of any your natural attributes as disadvantages at all -- think of them as a unique set of materials to build up a unique set of skills.

Third, I know that my stutter (now gone) was caused by a particular set of stressors (maybe triggers would be a better word). For instance, my stutter was really pronounced during the 7 or so years I was having a falling-out with my mother and because of the psychological abuse, I'd get a stutter and mild fact tick whenever I had to be near her and usually for the 6 hours after we went our separate ways. It was really bad and it really affected me. I mastered my stutter by figuring out what my triggers were and then avoiding those that I could and for those that I couldn't avoid, I psyched myself up for them. Over about 5 years or so, the stutter (as well as the mild facial tick) stopped when I was in one of the situations where I used to just fall apart. So, what situations do you stutter in? What's common to those situations? How can you control that? Figuring this out may help you continue to get a handle on it.

8. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As others have said, kids can be so cruel. What's even worse is they're looking for a response. So as hard as it is, you have to try to ignore them.

As another poster said, look at being checked for dyslexia or another learning disability. People take learning disabilities lightly, but they can have a tremendous impact on grades, self-esteem, etc. With recognition and some accommodations, grades can greatly improve.

I would highly recommend NOT dropping out of high school. Your career options will be significantly limited. Most jobs, even entry level jobs, are looking for AT LEAST high school, if not higher. I've even seen minimum wage jobs looking for high school grads OR currently enrolled in high school.

Stick it through at least high school, and try to find some post-secondary training that appeals to you.

My communication skills aren't that good. My handwriting is scribbles, my spelling is bad. I'm also happy about spell check in Firefox, though I frequently butcher words so bad that it can't figure out what I'm trying to say. My composition isn't that good either. Frequently it takes me quite a while to write something and re-read / re-write it to make it legible.

My verbal skills aren't that good either. I think it's because I spend so much time studying, I don't talk to people that often. But when I do talk I will frequently say something that doesn't make any sense, and I have to stop, think, and try again. So I avoid talking which makes things worse. I think it's getting worse over time. And the people I do talk to have poor communication skills as well.

If I have to make an important phone call, I always have to write out a script, otherwise it'd be a whole lot of "ummmmm"

9. CM1989

Hi Jaden, I'm a senior in high school and I've stuttered for my whole life. Although it has gotten better over the years I still struggle with it, especially on "S"s and when I'm nervous. As for high school, it SUCKS, but hang in there as it gets better.

People who know me don't give a damn that I stutter, whats hard is getting to know others with a stutter. There are some good speech programs, I went through one a few years ago. I walked out 3 weeks later completely fluent. The only thing is you have to always practice or you'll lose it. Hope all of this helps, o and by the way I'm dyslexic!

http://www.stuttering.org/
    I went through a program like this btw^

10. SpikySpice

I 've been struggle with my speech problems for all my life. I was really streesed. Whatever I spoke out gave people a good laugh.:eusa_sile They said I 'm the funniest guy. But I hate to be fun that way, they really hurt me, and I was really down :icon_cry:

But now I realize one thing: If you struggle through something, in the end, you'll master it, be good at it more than anybody else, becasue you've been spending time for it for your whole life, and now it;s time for feed back.

Now, I still speak funny, and my social skill is at the lowest level, but I dont care anymore, since I know that someday everything will better:biggrin:

11. 94nat

Hey Jayden, your a great guy and good friend to have. I get teased at school as I'm not really the tallest in the class either. I had a friend in primary school who had a really bad stutter. I saw him a few months ago (he's now in high school like me but goes to a different high school) and his stutter seems to be much better. Don't get upset! Thanks for posting my photos in your album and doing that BLOG page for me. My profile and BLOG are now working. see ya, Nathan. :slight_smile: :grin:

#11 94nat, Apr 14, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
  12. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    thanks to evey one that has answered this post. I will now try to answer every one that has asked me questions in it. I can see that there are a few others out there that stutter but i also have trouble reading also. the large posts are some times are hard for me to understand but most of the time i end up understanding what is said.
    hi Greg. thank you for your post, im really not perfect and your post has made me think th at im probably not to bad after all, thanks mate!
    I have been tested for dyslexia and they say im ok and dont have it.
    I am probably going to have to repeat this grade im in this year as im not doing to good and finding the work very hard some times! A lot of the other kids are a few months older than me so if i repeat i dont think it will matter. This could be why i am a bit shorter than the other kids also. Anyway thanks again to greg,jayhew,jim,jerr,steamgiant,blamblazer,kenko,cm1989,spikyspice,nathan. You are all great for helping me out and i feel much better than i did a couple of days ago. :grin:

#12 jayden, Apr 15, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  13. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Large posts with no punctuation or paragraphs etc are quite hard for anyone to understand, so don't worry if you struggle with those!

14. Steam Giant

Always happy to assist, Jayden!

Even if you don't have dyslexia, I stand by my recomendation. Just keep at it, keep yourself writing/typing and you will improve, no question.

I was actually held back a grade myself, so don't feel so bad. Sure, some people will tease you for it, but most people will be cool with it. Still, if it's not set in stone yet, fight it ^^ and if you can make it through the year without being held back, you have my permission to rub it in my face :thumbsup:

15. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    Hey Jayden, as has been said before don't worry if you're finding it a little hard to read or write. I know loads of people who have these problems, some can't even spell basic words... but they've all turned good in the end. Put in a little effort (as i'm sure you do) and over time you'll get better.

As for the stuttering it's not really something you can help. OK speech therapy may do a little, but at the end of the day unless you're stuttering on one word for 5 minutes it's not really a problem. And besides alot of people think stuttering is cute :wink:

So don't let things get you down, just look for the positives and i'm sure you'll be fine!

Jamie x

16. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    thanks again for every ones answers! I find the large posts some times hard to read and understand as i sort of get a bit lost when i in the middle of reading them but if i go over and over them i understand them in the end. Thanks again every one and i will continue to keep reading and posting. :grin:

17. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    hi jim, ive been reading through these answers again just in case i missed anything. In my earlier posts one of my close school mates who looks at this site some times but isnt on it gave me a hand with how to write some things. i've been on my own now in reading and writing the posts and think im understanding things much better.

18. Double Dubya

Hey Jayden:smilewave, this thread is kind of old but I wanted to put my bits in.

I had an awful speech impediment growing up and no one could understand me until I was in the fourth grade. No one ever caught on that I had a hearing problem, and it ended up that my only problem was a chronic ear infection. You say things the way you hear them so when my hearing was jumbled up it jumbled my speech too. There were 16 sounds I couldn’t pronounce. My sister always had to translate for me to my parents and other adults, but my friends who grew up with me learned to understand me. My mother started to tell people that I was autistic because it was easier then just saying that I didn’t hear well, and consequently I couldn’t speak well:tantrum:. In elementary our music class learned all of our songs in sign language so that the deaf kid and I could sing along. After going through six years of speech therapy I started to do great, and now you wouldn’t even tell. Sometimes I sound British, but that’s not so bad, I like the Brits:grin:. But what is affected is my spelling, teachers say to “sound it out” so I put in the letters I hear even though they don’t belong. (Thank God for spell checkers!!) Shamefully I have forgotten most of the sign language that I once knew.

OK, about the stuttering. I never stuttered but I have scene where people are helped by using a DSA (Digital Speech Aid). They saw that people mess up speaking alone, or reading out loud, but do fine when speaking with a crowd. Here in America everyday we stood up and said the Pledge of Allegiance while saluting our flag. Stutter’ers usually do fine because their brain is telling them that they don’t need to panic, their voice will hide behind the other voices. A DSA is like a hearing aid but it picks up your own voice, changes the pitch, and replays it into your ear just milliseconds after you say it. This is tricking your brain into thinking that you are in the crowd again and don’t need to panic, allowing you to not worry about stuttering. They get expensive but it is something to look into, especially if it works.:thumbsup:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKGLM1mOFOE

Best of luck
    WW

19. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    thanks doubledubya for your answers. i maybe will get better with my speech as you did. i no what im trying to say but just have trouble getting it out some times. i find reading hard and my writing is not good but i want to finish high school. thanks for your post i read all you post and under stand it:thumbsup:

20. SpikySpice

yeah, Jayden that's the spirit^^:thumbsup: good job^^

And I understand that, sometimes it's like your tongue is stuck or numb or something

I'm finding it's hard for me to read, too. But I have to read anyway^^