1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discharged from Therapy

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Beware Of You, May 27, 2014.

1. Beware Of You

So been discharged from therapy, they think I am mostly better and don't need to come in every two weeks.

But I have to keep contact with them and if I feel worse I have to come back but hey its better I guess.

Also happened on my birthday which is a bonus I guess

2. Richie.

How long was you in therapy for?

Is it good news for you?

3. Beware Of You

Yeah

Been in for over a year now.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well if that's good news, I'm pleased to hear it! :slight_smile:

5. Richie.

Yeah man, glad your happy!

And happy birthday!!

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Interesting. It could be a good thing. It also means that a lot of ground has been covered and a lot of work has been done. That the door was left open is also a very good sign in that the therapist is not pushing you out should you need him or her.

I was discharged by a therapist in 2011 after about a dozen sessions because he "couldn't help" me. The issue was that his format was to operate in "the now." Well, my issues are not in "the now." They are cumulative and the most hurtful ones were in the past. My current therapist and I went through things almost chronologically and now we are in "free form" state, where we discuss concepts, evaluate things, and take care of current goings-on. Mostly, I like this, because he understands what took place in my life. Screw the "in the now" bullshit. I know that this is a current approach for many, but I don't like it. I want to talk about what hurts, regardless of when it happened.

At any rate, yes, it could be a good thing indeed and sometimes cool things happen on our birthdays, as in "good omens" of sorts. Keep us posted.

7. DangerAlex

Wow, congratulations! Although I'm a huge advocate for preventative and maintenance counseling, so I'm not all that fond of the fact that you were totally discharged. I like that they want you to keep in contact and resume treatment if your symptoms return, but I feel like everyone can benefit from counseling, with or without active, legitimate problems or issues. I think even if it's not to be treated for symptoms of something, anyone would benefit from seeing a counselor like once a month at least. Just venting to an unbiased, objective third-party outsider with in invested interest who has been trained to give only the most helpful advice is unbelievable beneficial.

Just my two cents though. Congrats on your progress and rehabilitation :slight_smile: