1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

broken toe

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Toast, May 29, 2014.

1. Toast

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So yesterday I jammed my toe against a door and heard a cracking sound. It didn't look too bad last night, just red and swollen, but this morning I wake up and its darkly bruised and aching like crazy. I can't walk on it. My coach at the gym I've started going to, as well as the other teachers, all said it looked broken. Fun.

Okay, so I'm keeping it wrapped and stable and applying ice periodically to help with the swelling. Is there anything else I should be doing? I'm not planning on going to the doctor. I already know what's wrong. All they would tell me to do is wrap it, because I'm pretty sure it's just a clean fracture, crack, or chip. Nothing that needs reconstruction.

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Toast,

You need to see a doctor. Period.

Putting it in ice helps with the swelling, but if it's a fracture it may still need to be immobilized...the least you need to do is get an X-ray to confirm it, "pretty sure" is not an adequate substitute for an accurate diagnosis.

Take care of yourself!

3. Sig

Sig

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Toast!
    Ouchy.

Please take greatwhale's advice, it could cause you a lot of trouble in later life if you don't take proper care now.

4. Rumpletubb

If you don't see a doctor, and there is a chip or something, it might develop to bloodpoisoning. So, see a doctor, get it taken care of so there won't be any repercussions. Take it from a boxer, my thumbs and wrists aren't as good as they are supposed to be.

5. Toast

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Really, all I can do is stick to what I can do at home. My dad is in charge of our insurance, and he doesn't like taking us to the doctor, other than for life threatening emergencies or regular check-ups.

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    sigh...health insurance in America...

This is neither life-threatening, nor an emergency (debatable), however, if left untreated, you run the risk of more troublesome (and more expensive) complications later.