1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bellybutton piercings...

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Helen, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Helen

Helen Guest

...they are supposed to be throbbing dully a few hours after the piercing, right?

Also, they didn't really explain exactly how to clean it properly when I got it done, it was quite rushed (there is a piece of paper telling me the basics though, but it doesn't tell me the exact cleaning procedure)

I know it involves cotton buds and the ear lobe stuff, but which bits are most important?

2. jazzrawr

Okies! *clears throat* XD

Weeelll, Yes, bellybutton piercings throb for the first day or so after you get them done.
    As for cleaning, you CAN use the earlobe stuff, but it's kinda harsh on your skin if it's sensitive, so if it is try going for gentler cleaning stuff. So for that, you just put some on a cotton bud and rub it all around the piercing and on it as well, and there's gonna be like...crusty stuff around it while it's healing, just wipe that away. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    when you can turn the ring, which won't be until later, you can turn it while cleaning.

It also helps alot and helps it heal faster if you clean it with salt water. You don't have to, but if you feel like you think it's infected, use the salt water.
    You just put a big pinch of salt ina shot glass or dixie cup, and fill it with warm water, mix the salt till it dissolves and then hold it over your piercing.
    This isn't mandatory, but it helps a bit.

And...yeah! Don't try to move the ring around too much at first, cause it'll be reeeeally tight and just hurt.
    And when you're in the shower, rinse it off really well with water after you're done washing, to get all the soap out. Piercings don't like scented soap. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And enjoy your piercing darling! ^.^

(oh my good god, that was a long post :|)

3. yeah, what she ^ said. Lol.

you just about covered it all there Jazz =]

4. Kat22

Also be VERY careful with them. They can get infected more quickly than any other piercing. Also, be careful with certain soaps around it. Scented body washes, especially Dial ones can infect it for some reason. If you really have a problem with it (i did) try putting a PTFE ring in. It is piercing plasic and I swear by it. It takes a long time to heal no matter what, but mine healed considerably faster when I switched to PTFE. Good luck and enjoy it!

5. Vampyrecat

Hey hey! I have a belly peircing and I have some advice for you

For the first few months, avoid wearing "Tight" (as in skin tight) clothing as much as you can. I live in a cold climate where we kinda have to layer up, so even though my belly bar was nicely padded and protected, because I had a tight shirt on (or two ) it got infected because the heat from your body gets trapped between your clothes and your skin, and in a new peircing, that means one thing, infection!

Don't change your belly bar too often once you are able to. Use the hydrogen peroxide at least three times a day for the first month. When you do, clean around it and very thoroughly with a cotton bud. Try to avoid getting the peroxide stuff IN the hole, because the peroxide goes all bubbly and swells and it fucking drills. (short story, spilled it by accident and it really really really hurt. Like, I fainted it hurt that much. )

If you find you're getting infections, switch to a plastic bar, metal ones seem to cause more infections I've found.

6. BoiCub

Some people have metal allergies not knowing it. Keep that in mind. Also some people have allergies to certian soaps as well. At the piercing and tattooing shop in Vegas that I got my nipples done at...(i know totally different part of body but it is also the same deal).. I was told to use Dial Antibacterial soap. To wash them everythine I took a shower and get the crudgys off. Well theres two other factors.... I wasn't healing too well at the time seeing as I was going through chemo... and I moving it and them being the round circle piercings weren't laying in place and created the tissue inside to break apart everythine I fiddled with cleaning them. Take care as stated above, clean the outside and keep it clear, also the more air and breathing room it gets the better. Don't twist it around and make it go woggy and open up sores on you inside. Hope that helps.

7. Alexander

You should be cleaning it with water and a low percentage of rubbing alcohol. you can buy 92% at the store, and that's fine when it's watered down maybe 1:4 with water.

8. nluvwthagrl1010

When I first got my bellybutton pierced, I had shooting pains that radiated across my stomach. I thought the guy hit a nerve or something, but it subsided. Just make sure you keep it clean and try not to get it snagged on anything. That hurts like hell! Lol.

9. jazzrawr

^ Ooooh, i know >.<
    I got it snagged once lmao.
    A also slid down a slide on my stomach the second day i had it, forgetting of course because i'm an idiot. XD
    So...Helen darling, don't go down slides on your stomach. XD

10. agraves

Well, I pierce ears every day and I know it's a different part of the body, but I assume some of the aftercare advice is the same. We tell people not to se alcohol or peroxide on a new piercing because it kills EVERYTHING, meaning it also takes away the parts that are trying to heal it. I agree with the salt water though. It is definately a good idea to use it. Here in the US we have this stuff called H2Ocean...it's purified salt water and is supposedto be one of the better things to clean a piercing with. I haven't had any infections since using it and I've got my eyebrow, labret, nipples and a bunch of piercings in my ears.