1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prozac is killing my sex drive.....

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by QueerTransEnby, May 29, 2014.

1. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Prozac is great for calming my anxiety, but sex drive is at an all time low. I can't stand this. I can somewhat get an erection but not as often and can't finish. :bang::bang::bang:

2. Maeve

That really sucks. Can you talk with your doctor about lowering your dose?

3. blueskies

blueskies Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I used to be on Prozac and it completely killed my sex drive. As did three other types of antidepressants (Zoloft, Cipramil, Cipralex...among other super fun side effects ranging from nausea to suicidal ideation, yay).

I think you should talk to your doctor about changing medications. There are some types of drugs that aren't SSRI antidepressants, but are used to treat depression and don't have any sexual side effects. Valdoxan and Wellbutrin are some of those drugs. I'm on Voxra at the moment and it's one of those drugs that don't have any sexual side effects. I specifically asked to be put on a drug that doesn't have any sexual side effects and my doctor thought I should start taking Voxra. I've been on Voxra for almost two weeks now and so far I haven't experienced any sexual side effects. All in all, side effects seem to be pretty mild with this one. I'm just a bit tired all the time, feel dizzy and slightly sick and my mouth's dry all the time but I can live with that. I can't tell whether it works for my depression yet but at least I haven't gotten worse since I started taking it so I remain hopeful.

According to my doctor, you can add drugs such as Voxra to whatever antidepressant you're already taking so maybe you could talk to your doctor about that? I mean if the Prozac's working well for you otherwise you could probably still take the Prozac but also add some drug which will remove the sexual side effects.

4. DangerAlex

Wellbutrin/bupropion, in my experience, is used more as a mood stabilizer and isn't very effective for treating depression unless taken in conjunction with something else. I've been taking it for years with Zoloft and I've found that it balanced out some of the side effects I was feeling from the Zoloft, like the lethargy and lack of energy and "lazy mind" as I call it. Just taking one or the other seemed an incomplete treatment for me personally, but since I've been taking them both together I've felt better than I ever had before. Very good combination for me.

Of course everyone is different and there have been cases where Wellbutrin was prescribed by itself to treat depression, but nowadays it's more common for it to be paired with an SSRI or SDRI for treatment of conditions reminiscent or similar to bipolar disorder.

But you definitely could ask your doc what he/she thinks about adding Wellbutrin (in a lower dosage) to the Prozac you're taking; that could help with the side effects you're experiencing. And if you're a smoker, Wellbutrin will definitely curb your smoking habits (that's what it was originally designed to do... help people quit smoking).

Good luck!

5. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's the timing sucks so hard because I am just coming out and was starting to feel great about my sexuality. I have been on it for 5 weeks, but it has kicked my balls(so to speak) for the last week or so.

6. blueskies

blueskies Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    this is pretty much what Google tells me also and I'm suddenly very confused. Everyone seems to be taking Wellbutrin or similar drugs together with an SSRI/SNRI except for me. I'm currently on Voxra for my depressive symptoms, and I take nothing else for my depression. What I don't get is why I'm not on something else except for Voxra?

My journals say I might be bipolar (even though I've never had a manic episode ever) and when I asked my doctor about that, she said it's probably because I don't respond to antidepressants at all. If I remember correctly, bipolar people shouldn't be on antidepressants and if they suspect I am indeed bipolar, maybe that's why they put me on something that's closer to a mood stabilizer than an antidepressant. But I still don't get why I'm on Voxra without taking something else at the same time.
    Also, if I don't respond to the Voxra they plan on putting me on Abilify together with the Voxra, and Abilify is apparently an antipsychotic drug so who knows what they're doing...I don't get it at all.

I can't imagine how much that must suck! gosh, that's got to be awful. Last time I took antidepressants I wasn't in a relationship/looking to have sex with anyone so it didn't bother me as much then but it's got to be even worse when you do that.

7. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, it's not that I am actively having sex, but I had just started to really enjoy anal masturbation etc. If the opportunity presented itself with the right guy/gal(but seems like more into guys right now), I wouldn't say no if Mr. Happy can keep up.

8. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Talk to your doctor about changing medication or dose. If you find that they all have that side effect, then you need to consider what's more important: your sex drive or the positive effects you get from the drug. This depends on a lot of things... how bad your depression/anxiety is, whether you're actually going to need to be sexually active, how well you respond to the drug and other treatments etc.

9. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had the same problems with SSRIs and SNRIs, and Wellbutrin made me totally freak out. I don't think any drug has ever made me feel so blank and depersonalized as that one did. Woah, I almost wandered out in traffic, I was like some zombie. It was as if I was suicidal, but not really aware of it. Totally freaky experience. This was just from Wellbutrin, alone.

To me, the side effects of these drugs were too much for me, so I went back to seeing a weekly talk therapist, and trying to manage my depression/anxiety using other means: acupuncture, the occasional sleeping pill, practicing breathing in and trying to calm down, and also, exploring different aspects of my sexual being by masturbating and with my partner, exploring fetishes, trying new things. Oddly, that seemed to help more than many things. I think when the body's sexual energy is pent up, and doesn't/can't get exercised, it throws things off in a major way, which is one reason why I think these drugs are not all that great, in many cases.

I never got around to meditation and yoga, but many people claim these have helped.

Hope you feel better soon.

(Oh, try Ginseng tea...this tends to help with my sex drive,especially when combined with a healthy diet)

#9 HuskyPup, May 30, 2014
    Last edited: May 30, 2014
  10. justjade

I know that feel, bro. I've been taking Prozac for over a year, and the one day, it was like my balls just dropped off. I mean, I have a hard time getting off anyway, but with the Prozac, I swear it's twice as hard.

Anyway, yeah, HuskyPup has some good advice. I need to try that, too.

11. Theron

I like Lexapro personally, except for the fact that in interacts with some of my medications.

Wellbutrin fucked up my personality and screwed with the part of my brain relating to sense of right and wrong. I did some things that I know are wrong but at the time by brain was unable to recognize them as wrong because of the medication.

12. Lavender

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Avoid bupropion if you can it has a massive side effect of patients becoming suicidal and unfortunately many deaths have occurred from it.
    Have you tried Venlaflaxine? Also there's some current studies being tested at the moment in regards to sertraline being used as required to combat this problem along side taking your ssri. Have a discussion with your doctor or speak to pharmacist :slight_smile: