1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being a lesbian gives me sexual guilt

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Fallingdown7, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

So, I've never done anything with a man nor a woman. Not even a single kiss.
    But I can't ever see myself being sexual with someone because the thought scares me. I have sexual desires, but I repress them to the point it causes depression; it doesn't feel healthy anymore.

I'm sexually reserved, I 'save' myself for relationships because of comfort reasons, so since I'm single It's not a big deal right now. But my main worry is what happens when I find someone and they leave because I was too scared to do anything.

If I were straight, I wouldn't be afraid. I'm afraid because of an inferiority complex; that if I sleep with a girl I won't be good enough or I won't 'count' to her since I grew up with the belief that lesbians don't have 'real' sex.

I've ranted about the topic here and there around EC, but I never got into detail on how it really destroyed my life; making me resent my sexuality, and even attempting suicide various times because I'm out of place and I don't feel worth anything.

I was hurt by an ex-girlfriend who said she wanted to wait for marriage (Which I was fine with and respected) until she told me she's slept with women before but 'that didn't count since she's waiting for a man'. We never 'did anything' but it broke my self-esteem so badly that I feel like I could never trust or date another woman again. Even my previous ex-girlfriend who cheated on me three times didn't hurt me as badly with her actions as this girl did.

I've let all this affect me; now if I feel sexually attracted to women I feel dirty and gross and that I need to be cleaned off somehow. But yet the odd thing is that if I talk about wanting a girlfriend and falling in love, I have no internalized homophobia. I only feel this disgust and shame if I have sexual feelings for them.

I conviced myself I was asexual for years, but now I think I'm just repressed :icon_sad:

How can I ever accept my sexuality and ever have a sexual relationship if I feel that killing myself is safer and more desired than giving my body up to someone? I've tried to get over this fear, but I don't think I ever can.

:help:

2. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can see where you're coming from. You can't decide whether giving up some of the things that mean a lot to you in your value system is more beneficial because there's only so many girls who could be into you, or just sticking with what you believe is right.

You having been hurt also doesn't help very much. But just like you can't expect every girl to be lesbians, you can't expect them to be jerks either. People come and go, and you need to give enough time for your soul to heal before you try again. Don't rush trying to find someone, especially a relationship as a cure to your troubles, that won't work.

You should be proud of yourself because you respect your body more than a lot of people do theirs. If someone thinks it's stupid you shouldn't hesitate about throwing them out, be it an acquaintance, a friend or more.

Also don't jump into conclusions about sexuality. Who knows how you'd feel if you really loved someone and you'd be loved back? At that moment all these feelings would be justified because you'd be looking for a way to express it in a better way than just words or whatever. Someone just needs to get close enough to you. And even if you don't feel like havign sex, the other person should understand that, otherwise that "love" ain't true anymore.

3. Najlen

(*hug*)(*hug*)I don't honestly know how to answer this. I can understand your fear, but I'm not sure how you could deal with it. My best advice is to just tell yourself that its ok, because it is. That girl who was "waiting for a man" is not the norm. There are some stupid people out there, but most of them are wonderful. You will "count", because that person will love you.

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm sorry this happened to you and I did feel the same way you felt when I was in my early 20's but for different reasons , I thought being sexually attracted to women was wrong and that I was dirty for feeling that way . It will take time for you to get over this falling but I'm sure one day you'll meet a girl that will love you and not be like those girls .
    I think the best thing to do is accept you have these feelings which you are doing now and after a while you would be able to feel better . Sometimes the lesbian sex is not real thing pisses me off and makes me feel insecure so I get how you feel .(*hug*)

5. fortheloveoflez

Maybe consider going to therapy. Really, it can help. I know that I will try to go see some one to deal with more stress-management and worrying too much issues. I wish you the best.

Also, you know deep down that women "count". It's completely ridiculous to think otherwise and if other people think differently, then **** them. Just remember that the whole "women don't count" is basically the biggest myth in the entire world.

#5 fortheloveoflez, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  6. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Thank you for responding everyone, it means a lot :slight_smile:

See, this is why you're probably my best friend here Stocking, we understand each other so much. And what you say really does make me feel better, like I can have hope that more girls like you exist.

I've had quite a few short term relationships with girls I felt devalued on...My first girlfriend was just so bad to me, she cheated several times because I didn't want to sleep with her just yet (and to this day I never did) and bragged about how 'better' men are because they have the magic tool, and that hurt. With so many bad experiences with women It's hard to trust another one.

Thank you. I already have a therapist, but I haven't told her most of this yet. I told her once about people not thinking lesbian sex was 'real', and she said they were full of BS, so I can at least know she's an ally and trustworthy. It's just so hard to open up to her about what I'm feeling without being emotional, and since she's on vacation for three weeks I'll have to think it over for when she gets back.

I'm not one of those who thinks women don't count, I'm just afraid I'll land a partner who thinks that since I seem to constantly attract women who treat me like I'm inferior to a man.

7. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    She sounds like one of my exes , You know falling it's a good thing you didn't sleep with her because you actually found out who she truly is , because people who actually cared for you would have waited , and would have use a toy or finger while waiting if they had the urge . Take it from me a woman with a high sex drive if they really did care they would have waited . She didn't deserve you and you deserved so much better than her .
    My ex was like her always talking about how good penis was and how crappy lesbian sex was and yeah she left me for a guy which sucked but you know what just like I'm telling you now your better off without her just like I'm better off without my ex you deserve so much more and you will find a woman that's not like her and will wait . I always think women like that don't appropriate the beauty of lesbian sex and see it as just a fun time .

#7 stocking, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  8. Trev

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am a gay man and I felt the same way for a long time. I felt like that if I sucked another guys dick or let him put it in me there should be some kind of connection. Finally when I was in college I just said f--- it and started hooking up with dudes. I have had sex with a lot of guys and honestly most guys just want to get off and are not looking for any kind of connection. Probably half the guys out there who hook up with guys are bisexual and are either dating or married to women. If a dude wants something more, like to be a FWB, or a FB, thats cool, if he just wants a one time fling with a dude because he is curious, or just the opportunity to fuck a tight ass because his wife or gf won't let him near hers I am totally fine with that too.

You should just get with someone you are attracted and just relax and enjoy the sensations. If a relationship is meant to happen it will.

9. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Actually, This isn't about me looking for a 'connection' before I put out. I honestly don't place any importance on sex at all, and I'd be okay if I died without ever having sexual experience. My worry though, with this thread, is that I actually DO find a girlfriend with a real connection, but I don't ever want to have sex with her because I fear the way she will treat me. I fear she will leave because I don't like/want sex. The thread is about discrimination that lesbians face that when they sleep with women they're still "virgins" or they somehow count "less" than a man does as a partner. This affects you whether you choose casual or relationship sex.
    The fear of being refered to that way has prevented me from ever being intimate or having a relationship. Not being validated as a real partner hurts more than someone harming your own family member to me, and that's why I'm so hesitant to get near any women again.

10. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You know this poor girl is already confused enough as she is. I'd honestly let her think for herself and believe in what she feels to be right.

11. PinkCammelia90

I feel so terrible hearing that you're in so much pain over this. You shouldn't be punishing yourself for something that comes naturally to you, nor should you feel that it's dirty or immoral. I honestly wish I could hug you right now.

Sexuality - although glorious - can also be scary, and can be scarier still if you're putting it on a pedestal. I remember when I was a virgin and the idea of sex used to scare me a lot. Hell, there's an awful lot I still haven't done with women that scares me a bit, but it's worth confronting. It shouldn't make you feel so small, though.

I think most people out there who are non-heteronormative (hell, maybe even some straight people too) feel shame at one time or another for their sexual desires, but there really is no reason to. Who are you hurting by wanting to touch someone?

You need to remember that you're a beautiful human being who deserves happiness, and you should value all the quirks that make you who you are. You need to learn to love yourself before you can love another, as corny as that may sound.

Please drop me a message if you need someone to talk to, okay? x

12. Undertow

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This sounds so familiar to me...I'm sorry that you're going through this. I think I understand the sort of shame that you're talking about, because I feel it pretty often, too. The feeling of being almost (if not completely) afraid of your sexuality, yet wanting that intimacy at the same time...it's confusing as hell. (Forgive me if I've misinterpreted in any way).

I've been there with the shame and the suicide attempts...It stemmed from that same feeling you described, out of place and almost unclean. I felt like there was something wrong with me, even though I knew that wasn't true. It can make it hard to accept yourself and allow yourself to be loved and appreciated. I wouldn't wish that feeling on anyone, but it happens anyway.

If you ever need to talk about any of it, feel free to message me. I'm new here, but I want to listen and help if I can.

13. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sorry you were hurt by an ex-girlfriend and have self-esteem issue. (*hug*)
    Try to take the "real" sex topic as an outstandingly good advertisement saying that "only straight sex is the real sex" and that "only a man is the best and only lover to a woman" and lots of other crap. Advertisement is biased and is supposed to be convincing, right? Many people get "brain-washed" by it and start believing it. And who makes such an advertisement? Straight society that happily discriminates everything what's not mainstream.

Do you know what happened today? I was washing dishes and one pot was probably burnt, I don't know precisely because it was my mom's cooking. I used a dish detergent that was advertised on the TV, the one that promised to get rid of old food, grease, burned-on food, whatever dirt you could ever imagine. In reality, it did NOT work, the ad was overrated. What I did in the end was that I cut a lemon in half and cleaned the pot easily with lemon juice.

What I wanted to say is, please, don't ever think that when making love to a women you won't be good enough or that lesbian sex don't count as "real" sex. (If you look up the statistics, much more women reach orgasm during lesbian sex than compared to straight sex.) Also, don't worry that you won't know what to do. If you are in it with the right partner, you'll know what to do for sure, just listen to your heart. It's like when birds migrate to warm regions, they just know. :icon_wink

14. BelleFromHell

The more I hear about the lesbian community and lesbian hatred in the media, the more I want some magical pill that will turn me asexual.

15. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Thank you, I needed to hear that :icon_bigg

16. xLone Wolfx

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can see where you've been hurt by your ex girlfriends, they were very insensitive and most likely not true lesbians otherwise why they waiting for a man, or about his magic tool? So that should be a good indicator right there that the problem is with them, NOT you. Your sexuality shouldn't make you feel dirty or unclean, I'm sorry you feel that way as I believe it's an individual right to every human being to define their own sexuality. No matter ones orientation, lesbian, bi, gay, straight, etc. you should feel empowered in it, not to regress it. I did that for many years about my bisexuality and now look back with regret all those years I denied myself, and lived uncomfortably in my own skin. That's a big reason I signed up here, hoping I can help others from denying themselves as I did. Because the older you get, the more you realize...it's just plain silly to beat yourself up for who you are! Lesbian sex is as real as any and there's absolutely nothing wrong or shameful about it. Take it from a guy who's been made crystal clear, not every woman wants a guy or his magic tool. When you meet a woman who truly appreciates you she will be patient with you, not rush you, or guilt you into things. You are justified to feeling as you do and someone who cares will respect that. It's good to take little steps to conquer your fears, sometimes jumping right in is good, but bottomline nobody can decide that for yourself but you.

17. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I felt like this for a while.