1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contraception question

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by myownuniverse, Jun 16, 2014.

1. myownuniverse

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey everybody!
    I have quite the embarassing question...
    This topic is for ladies or people with knowledge of the ladies part ahah!
    So I take the contraception pill, for 10 years now, and even if It helps me a little with the pain that the periods give me, it isn't useful for anything else, I never have sex, and while I am learning who I am, I think that I will never have sex with a guy.
    Anyway do you think that taking the pill is useful or not? My periods hurts anyway but maybe it help me to be regulate with them.
    What do you guys think?

2. danball7

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My sister took the pill for her period pain. She unfortunately ended up with a DVT (deep vein thrombosis) in her leg because of the blood clotting side effects. Admittedly, this is something of a worst case scenario, but if you aren't having sex very often and not with guys anyway, I'd say dump the pill and just use some normal painkillers when your time of the month comes round.

3. Ridiculous

It's worth trying, although they do more than just help with period pain.

Everyone is affected by their periods differently, and also will get different uses out of contraceptives, so I'd suggest just trying going without taking them and seeing how your periods are, then use that experience to decide whether they are worthwhile to keep taking in the future.
    Hearing the experiences of others is good but doesn't necessarily mean it will be the same for you.

4. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd say don't use it. There are other ways how to deal with period issues, such as Traditional Chinese Medicine. I used to have pretty bad PMS and after using Chinese herbs it's gone. No breast swellings, no lower back and knee pain, no mood swings and the pain during the first day is very mild, don't even need to use a pain killer.

5. FireRose2071

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was on the pill for a while. I think it messed me up, hormone-wise :frowning2: I had shorter periods, which was kinda nice, but at the same time I feel like it made things worse, if that makes sense. After I got off it, I didn't have any regular cycle until 6 months later. Gah!
    But, if you're having pain, try drinking tea--it helped me. Chamomile, or peppermint. Or just take Tylenol or what have you.

6. myownuniverse

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you all for the reply, I have an appointment with my doctor in a couple of days, I will talk with her about it.

@danball7 and @Ridiculous: you are totally right, I will talk about it to see if some of my recent health issues could be less important without the pill and I don't need it for the most part of why I took it in the first place.

@paris and @FireRose2071: Thanks for the tips I will try them to lessen the pain.
    Although, I am really afraid to not be regulated again, I hated it in my young years.

Thank you all!

7. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I used to take the pill for menstrual issues; but I switched to the depo shot since it was easier. I would say that it depends on how severe your periods are if you even need contraceptives. I have PMDD, so I didn't just have physical pains but heavy emotional symptoms like aggression toward others, suicide attempts, etc. during that time of the month. My doctor wanted my periods to be regulated in an easier way for me, so we went for the shot.

Both the shot and the pill are primarily used to prevent pregnancy, but they also regulate periods quite well, and in my opinion It's worth it (Although they can come with some side effects, unfortunately).

8. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm thinking of going on the pill for my periods but I'm scared it might make me gain weight and get fat . So that's why I hadn't taken it at all .

9. ive just started running to prevent weight gain lol. weight gain on the pill isnt guaranteed though with healthy eating and stuff you should be fine. the shot is the one known to make you gain weight dont no why it just does lol.

op - depends how bad your periods are. i know i couldnt live without the pill, my periods affected work and i could barely function. i tried all the other meds that you can take for periods, some acid stuff (cant mind what its called) and something else, as well as the usual painkillers but it didnt work.

if you come off it and your periods are causing you pain/problems again then you could always go back on it.

10. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

The shot is more risky when it comes to weight gain. I was 117 lbs before the shot and became around 140 lbs afterwards. Now I'm losing weight again; you just need a good diet and exercise to balance it.

11. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Shot?:confused:

12. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Depo shot is a contraceptive shot that has the highest success rate of pregnancy prevention, and it makes you stop menstruating completely. You have to take one every three months given by a doctor:icon_bigg

13. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    wow

14. Maeve

I definitely recommend talking with your doctor about a different birth control. Depending on which one you take, you can have your period only a few times a year or not at all.

You may also want to find out why your periods are so painful. Some women just have bad periods, but sometimes there's an underlying cause that can be treated.

15. Joanie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I took the pill for four years (a few years ago) and did some research on it and in my opinion it's not worth it. In any case. It completely messes up your hormones. This is the reason why you gain weight right away. I never ever gain weight but with the pill I took almost 20 pounds. The hormones in this product are synthetic and have completely different effects than your own hormones. This is what we call "side effects". And there are very dangerous ones. Personally, yes it regulated my cycle, but I don't think it's worth it at all. It's the only positive point. And you can't know if you'll be irregular again if you stop, for me the opposite happened. I'm regular now and my hormones are back on track. I'm really glad I stopped it. For contraception, well I don't need any, but if would, I would choose a copper IUD. No effect on hormones and more effective for contraception. And condoms.

Hormones are such a big part of how you feel in general, they're very important. I personally don't want to mess up with that anymore.

About your doctor, she will recommend staying on the pill. Of course, she's paid for it. But does that mean it's the best choice for you? No. There are other ways to deal with the pain, much safer and better for your overall health.

I hope it helps. :slight_smile:

Joanie.

16. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

And that's fine for you, but the shot has literally saved my life and I don't regret going on it. The hormones it gives me are actually more positive than my pre-shot hormones.

17. Joanie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Unfortunately it's not like that for most women, but I'm glad it's going well for you honey. :slight_smile:

Joanie.

18. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Yeah, I understand that. I only reccommend it when your periods are very very severe to the point they put the health of you and others in danger. Otherwise, there are other options.

19. Unkempt Harold

whatever you do dont just STOP taking it completely XD

20. wandergirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Contraceptive pills are actually very bad for your health. Side effects vary from person to person but there are many, specially in the long run. As you don't need it for the contraceptive reason, stop taking them. For sure your period will be kinda messed up in the beginning but it will adjust with time.
    I took them for about 5 years and stopped about one year and a half when i realized i wouldn't need them anymore. After that i didn't have my period for 6 months and it was very painful that time, but it's getting better. I got a lot acne on my face because of not taking pills anymore but it has helped me losing weight and my blood circulation is a lot better now. I don't intend to start taking them again...