1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice about eating disorder, before its too late.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by NightGrazer, Jun 16, 2014.

1. NightGrazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok, to start off I am going to put it out there that I think I have an eating disorder, or at least am getting one. I am 18, 5 foot 6ish and weigh 115 pounds. I don't know if that's underweight or normal (the internet tells me different things) but what I do know is that in recent times I have developed an unhealthy relationship with food. I don't know exactly when it started but I have lost about 2 kg in almost 2 months. I limit myself to no more than 800 cal a day and the numbers are dropping, I can't eat comfortably anymore (haven't had a pizza in forever!) and count it as a success if I have been starving for long periods of time. I have never thrown up but I'm not going to lie I tried and failed a few times... It's begun to take over my life. My parents (even my dad and that's saying something that he noticed), sister and even my guidance counselor in my school have all commented on my rapid weight loss but I continually assured them that I have no problem.
    But I do.
    Fortunately my pride and stubbornness won't allow me to be ruled by something like food so I have decided to end this, once and for all before it turns into something serious that eventually kills me. NOT the way I plan on dying. Mauled by a tiger, fine, anorexia, no thanks! I don't think its gotten to the point of permanent damage but I am beginning to notice changes. My period was a week and a half late for starters, I nearly fainted when I did 10 squats and get lightheaded when I stand up straight. Yeah, not good!
    Tell me if my idea to fix it before it gets too bad is completely outrageous or if you think it could work! I have deducted that the problem may not have stemmed (hopefully) from any other mental issues but just from my intense fear of getting fat or gaining weight, so I have been thinking about deleting the calorie counter app on my phone, dumping the food diary and sticking stickers over the calories on everything I eat so that I don't have to see it. Also considering not weighing myself in the vets I work at every week anymore. I also thought that maybe if I join a gym and work out the weight will go back on in muscle and I won't have to worry about fat at all? This making any sense at all? I don't want to cost my mam a bomb in therapy sessions for something that may or may not even be a problem and I have overcome enough difficulties on my own, along with a few Disney quotes, which, by the way, are also what inspired my to turn my life around at 4:30 this morning!:lol: Should I still see a therapist about my weight phobia? What do I tell my Mam? And lastly is this completely ridiculous, am I making a big deal over something silly and is this idea of self-help stupidly redonkulous?
    Thanks so much in advance to anyone who replies and I hope I haven't bored you too much! :smilewave

2. Prince Kotch

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think you're making a big deal out of it at all. Eating disorders can be a very serious problem. I've struggled with those thoughts before, and have purged several times. I actually do have a weight problem (5'5" and 208 pounds). (168 cm, 94.3 Kg). I also tend to binge, but I've managed through willpower to keep a reasonably healthy diet and not freak out about an occasional mistake. But anyway, I think the things you mentioned are a good idea. Although, you want to make sure you start getting proper nutrition before you begin to work out, or else your heart could give out. Start small. Eat salads and some lean meats like chicken and fish. Eat reasonable portions, not too small. Eat just a LITTLE more than you would normally eat and gradually increase your calories from 800, to 900, to 1000, and so on. Try to get up to a minimum of 1200 a day, and more once you start working out. Above all else, make sure that if you DO at any time feel like it's getting out of control that you DO get some help. There is no shame in seeking it out, it means you recognize your own strengths and weaknesses.

3. Sarah2695

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Honestly, you are underweight for your age and height. You need to eat 1200 calories a day. I have been where you are. At one point, I only allowed myself 500 to 600 calories a day, while working out for a minimum of 2 and a half hours burning anywhere from 1400 to 2000 calories on the treadmill. This was not healthy and I think you should definitely talk to someone about it. It definitely helped me.