1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Truvada

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by lostlifeguard, Jun 21, 2014.

1. lostlifeguard

So, I don't know much about Truvada, other than that it reduces your risk of getting HIV. I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on it, and whether you think it's worth it to talk to my doctor about it. Also, does anyone know how expensive it would be with insurance?

2. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My thoughts are that it would be a bad idea. Why would you wanna take pills that you don't need every single day? There are way more effective and healthy ways to reduce your risk of contracting HIV: choosing your partners wisely and using condoms. If you do those two things, your risk will be reduced way more than Truvada could ever do (yes, people still got infected even when they were on Truvada in the tests).

But apart from the availability of better working options, there's also the fact that there are actually quite a few negative consequences attached to taking it:
    - Side effects. Not everyone experiences (severe) side effects, but lots of people do. Do you really wanna struggle with those every single day? To reduce a risk you can easily reduce without using a pill?
    - The HIV virus can develop resistance to the Truvada, so that if you do get in contact with HIV, after a while your pill might no longer be effective.

I think you're underestimating what you're considering starting. This is not something healthy people who are not at great risk want to get themselves into. In fact, I think doctors only prescribe Truvada for prevention to people who are at a really high risk, like people with HIV positive partners (which should tell you something about the seriousness of taking a pill like that on a daily basis).

That's also why I think if you do find a way to get your hands on it, your insurance won't cover any of it (although I could be off here); because you don't need it, and HIV medication is really expensive.

Really, I don't think it was meant as a prevention method for anyone who's a little worried about getting HIV; it's a more serious help intended for people who need it.

#2 justinf, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  3. rainshadow

Also if your insurance will even cover it. Like Justin said, it's super super expensive. I think for like 30 tabs without ins is over 400.00. Many times with expensive medications the insurance won't even cover it right away and the pharmacy has to contact the doctor, who then has to contact the insurance company to explain why the doctor prescribed it. If the insurance deems it's medically necessary, under their parameters, they will or won't cover it.

I've heard that many HIV medications have lots of side effects too. So I'm not sure it would be a good idea.