1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self Harm

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Nightdream, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have the bad habit of picking my own skin to create Injuries or make them worse, probably because of anxiety and it's pretty hard for me to stop doing that. Is there anything that I can do about it while I don't talk to a psychologist?

2. BethLauren

When I tried to stop self harming, I kept an elastic band around my wrist, and pinged it when I was triggered. Ping hard enough and it hurts and leaves a mark. You could try the same?

3. tone

I had (still have but not as bad) the same problem. I find that it helps to keep your hands busy, I use silly putty like stuff a lot.

Another thing you can do is just cover the area, put band-aids on your wounds or always wear clothes that cover the areas you pick at. Band-aids or something else are really helpful because then you can't pick at it and make it worse, and then it will eventually heal.

4. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wouldn't it be another form to self harm? Did it work for you?

---------- Post added 25th Jun 2014 at 11:32 PM ----------

It may work for my arms, but not so much for my face and my head which are the places I hurt the most. Keeping my hands busy might help a little.

5. black-cat

Depending on how much control you have over your self harm, you might want to look into Dermatillomania as a possible condition you might have. My friend has it, she had all these little wounds everywhere which she picks at, it's a sister illness to the more well known Trichotillomania.

Keeping your hands busy is a big one. Playing with silly putty, stress ball, tangle toy, even ribbon or string. You can cover your wounds with band aids, or use a spray on plaster/spray on band aid for the ones on your face. My buddy actually uses a gooey stress ball, it's a kids toy.

Long term, you may grow out of it, but I would reccomend seeing a therapist if possible. They can really help you. It's treatable. Feel free to message me privately. :slight_smile:

6. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the advice.

It sounds like the best thing I can do for now is keeping myself busy, I pretend to look for a therapist in the future.

7. black-cat

Yup, unfortunately it really is as simple as keeping yourself busy. Good luck :slight_smile:

8. birdking

Oh yeah I pick my skin too. Usually it happens when I get stressed, and even though I know I'm doing it, sometimes I can't make myself stop. It really sucks and I'm sorry you have to deal with it too!

Definitely keeping your hands busy is the best. If possible, try to release stress. There are plenty of ways you can do that, you just need to find a good stress outlet. I don't know what you like, but things like arts and crafts, video/computer games, and playing musical instruments helps both release stress and keep my hands busy for a while.

9. BethLauren

Pinging an elastic band doesnt leave any actual damage, and keeps your hand busy. It isnt quiet a form of self harm, more just a kind of self harm replacement? Its one of the things my counselor used to tell me to do.