1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headache after Drinking?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by ThinWhiteDuke, Jun 26, 2014.

1. ThinWhiteDuke

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't drink much mainly with family and friends never on my own, but have noticed that even after just one drink I can get a huge headache instantly. It happens sporadically like last week I was watching TV with my dad and we both shared some whiskey, tonight I had a shot of vodka with grapefruit juice and instantly I developed a dull throbbing headache. It seems to not matter what pace I'm drinking at and triggers out of the blue.

I've had this occur before with various other things, sometimes it happens sometimes doesn't and it seems to happen randomly with whatever I'm drinking it's not something I'm particularly worried about but I'm just curious as to what might be causing this?

2. CharlieChalk

Most likely dehydration.
    The best way to enjoy alcohol without worrying about dehydration is to drink one glass of water for every glass if alcohol you have. It helps stop hangovers and dehydration and water is good for you! :slight_smile:

3. Theron

I don't feel like drinking is worth the headache or hangover. So maybe you could just skip it.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Simple solution: Don't drink :slight_smile:

5. BethLauren

CharlieChalk is right. You should have a glass of water after every alcoholic drink. Water usually helps with headaches anyway, and prevents dehydration and hangovers the next day.

6. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Usually it's because you're either tired or dehydrated. Some people just get headaches pretty quickly.. I guess the only solution would be to only drink when you've slept well and have drunk enough water.

Also, if you don't usually drink that much, it may be better to start with something a little less strong than whiskey or a shot of vodka. Maybe this is the way your body responds to something it's not used to?

7. Hexagon

Yeah, my mother is like that.

8. FrenchKid98

Everyone who said to drink water is right. Alcohol can cause pretty quick dehydration which can cause headaches and is not a very healthy thing for your body. Alcohol is a diuretic, it makes you pee a lot so you loose water.
    When I go out with friends (where I live the legal age is 16) and I drink alcohol without drinking anything else, I will most probably feel quite hungover the next day.
    On the other hand, if I also drink non alcoholic drinks on top of the alcohol then chances are I'll feel better the next day and even sometimes no real hangover.

Another thing to keep in mind is that everyone reacts differently to alcohol. Depending on gender, size, mass/weight, amount of fat and other things such as metabolism and liver, your body's reactions to alcohol can be affected. This is at least part of the reason why some people can't stand alcohol and also some people can stand it more than others.

#8 FrenchKid98, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014