1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stopping myself from Self Harm

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Beware Of You, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Beware Of You

I started to cut myself when I started to feel awful for being a gay person, I didn't want to be gay so everytime I saw a cute guy and got hot I ended up hurting myself out of shame.

Sadly I became addicted and used to hurt myself daily just so I could function I guess.

I have been in therapy and haven't harmed in a good few months (apart from a brief one off relapse when my coping mechanism wasn't handy) but I still have to fight a lot to keep doing it, sometimes when I feel bad or stressed the desire floods back.

Anyone have any advice?

2. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I also used to hurt myself. I still feel the urge, you never really stop being addicted to something. But it gets better over time. Eventually the desire to hurt yourself will fade, and it will be just a small part of the whole. If you aren't already on medication, I recommend that you look in to it.

3. Wolf of The Baltic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey man you have to think that what your doing is wrong hurting yourself isn't going to help. Remember that others are going down the same path and are here to help. I mean look at you you've come out to everybody that's a feat that not many here can say they've accomplished. I'll leave you with a quote

A light at the end of a tunnel is better than the fears that come after it

Mr. Ryan Kennsmith

4. Vampire

That. ^

Also, search for friends who you can relate to. Having friends with the same problems as you, often helps you gain self esteem. Being gay is a beautiful thing. Just think of the advantages. *smirk* :slight_smile: You're a perfect and beautiful person just the way you are. You are you. Every morning when you wake up, smile even though you might not feel like doing so and your day will be that much better. Also, something that could get your mind off of hurting yourself is performing energy-requiring activities, such as jogging, biking, working out, et cetera.

I hope I helped and I hope you'll stop hurting yourself.

Lots of love,
    Andy

5. sammy1

U got to find something that makes u feel the same 'high' as cutting does and replace cutting with something not harmful (harder said than done, I know) I understand the urge to self harm except I hurt myself by punching mirrors/walls I do that because when I'm stressed out or depressed the only thing that stops it is if I make myself bleed. So I don't know maybe next time u feel like cutting turn on some up beat music that u enjoy. Good luck (*hug*)

6. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you learned any coping mechanisms in therapy Beware Of You?

I know it's super hard to turn away from self harm, so give yourself a huge pat on the back for resisting the urge.

I notice you are in Dublin, but you may find this UK website informative. It has some good hints and tips and lots more info:

LifeSIGNS :: Self Injury Guidance & Network Support

7. Vampire

Browsing the EC website, I found this:

Empty Closets - Self-Injury Behavior

Reading that great article should give you a better understanding of it and what should you do. Also, the link Linco provided is also great. Check that out as well.

8. black-cat

I've been in your situation, I know how you feel. Feel free to message me if you need to talk about it. I felt so ashamed and was so full of anger towards myself, I didn't know what else to do either.

I'd recommend you talk to your therapist, she/he will give you the best advice. I guess we all just have to battle on through the urges. 'Keep calm and carry on' as they say. I find reading or gaming helps to distract me from the urges, but we all different. :slight_smile:

Good luck!