1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting into exercise. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Nychthemeron, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hullo everyone. Lately, I've been considering to make an exercise schedule, but I don't know where to start.

I'll begin by saying I can't buy any exercise equipment. I'm pretty frugal when it comes to money, so I can't bear to waste any if I decide to give up.

Anyway, I made a nice little chart for ease of reading:

RUNNING
    • Last time to exercise, I did running and only running (and walking).
    • I ran from my house to the road gate. There and back, it's probably only 0.2 miles to 0.25 miles. Really impressive stuff, I know. However, I can run down the entire road and back, which is a whopping 0.6 miles to a whopping 0.65 miles. Which is better?
    • I used to run as fast as I could, but then I soon took it at a slower, but steadier pace. Which is better?
    • When I get tired, sometimes I sit down and rest and other times I just walk around until I catch my breath. Which is better?
    • My legs hurt terribly the first few days. Is this normal, since it was the first time I began to exercise? Or did I push myself too quickly?
    • How long should I run? When should I run? Do I run for thirty minutes in the morning and thirty mintues in the afternoon or what?
    • Weather - what should I do about it? If it's hot, should I be running? What about if it's cold? If it's rainy? Snowy? Windy? Does it matter?
    • And what about the terrain? I plan to run up a hill - is that a bad idea? Should I run only on flat surfaces?

WALKING
    • Should I pair walking with running?
    • If not, how should I go about it? Walk first, then run? Run, then walk?
    • How long should I walk? When should I walk?
    • What weather should I be walking in? Does it matter?
    • Does the terrain I'm walking on matter?

STRETCHING
    • How the hell do you stretch for exercise?

JUMPING
    • Jumping jacks?
    • Or jump rope?
    • Or something that we didn't learn in elementary/primary school?

OTHER
    • Any other exercise suggestions?
    • And how do you stick with an exercising schedule?

Any advice is super appreciated.

2. girlpower

Hi! first of all i'd say its really good that you have at least started trying already as many people are still 'thinking'.

So, its totally ok if you dont want to go to a Gym and use equipment. Running is a great way to keep fit. you can start with running at a steady pace for few initial days (2 weeks atleast) untill you gain enough stamina. So, as you said you tried running faster, i assume like sprint? because sprinting is a great excercise than running slowly ata steady pace. Where running slowly and for long distance is considered as 'Cardio/Aerobic' (which is also important for our body to burn calories) and Sprint is considered as 'Anaerobic' which is like doing strength training to work on muscles. Also, as you asked about taking breaks, i'd suggest dont sit in between breaks.. if you feel out of breath just simply walk for 2 mins to catch your breath back.

You can do it early in the morning or in the evening too, doesnt matter. but make sure you do some pre-workout stretching before running to warm up your body which is very very important. it could be done by simple jumping/rope skipping for couple of minutes. and post workout stretching is equally important too, you can check videos on youtube to get the exact stretches required after running or any other workout you do.

Other workouts could be strengthening your rest of the body muscles like thighs, abs, calves... which includes Lunges, Squats, full and half crunches followed by stretching :slight_smile: do check the exact posture for these workouts on youtube which is very important.

hope it helps.

3. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, that definitely does help! Thanks a lot for the tips and advice.

4. Melanie

Melanie Guest

I need to know your age and general physical condition.

I dont know what you have available to you fitness-wise, but joining a gym has been instrumental in keeping me on track. Ive had a gym membership for most of my life. Even if you're frugal, fitness/nutrition is not one area you should skimp on.

Otherwise I would simply start with walking and build up distance/time (however you decide to track it). The key thing is being consistent. If you are fairly young with no health/physical problems, I would aim for 6-7 days a week. When you've been consistently walking for 6 months, I would consider adding other activity.

The main reason that I recommend starting this way is that the biggest issue in getting fit for most people is sticking with it. There are going to be days you dont want to go walk, but you have to push yourself to.

5. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You don't need exercise equipment to be fit :slight_smile: you're doing fine.

When you say you're running at a slower pace, you mean jogging right? Jogging is good because you can keep it up for longer. Also if you sprint too much at first it can give you stitches.
    I train for rowing, and what we do to build stamina is we jog for most of the distance we're supposed to do, and we sprint the last part. That really gets up your stamina, jog first and sprint right at the end. And I'll tell you something, some time soon after you begin jogging, you start feeling REALLY tired and like you want to give up. You should keep going through that time. After a point it stops being so painful and gets better. Also, when you jog, listening to music helps. Go through the music you like and find songs which have the same tempo as the speed at which your feet hit the ground when you run (should be somewhere in between 130-160 bpm). This works amazingly and makes it much easier.

When you're taking breaks, don't sit. It can give you muscle fatigue if you've been doing something strenuous right before. Walking around is good. In fact, your other question is answered here, walking and running can definitely be paired. Start with walking for a distance, then start jogging, then sprint for a small amount of time, go back to jogging if you feel up to it, and if not then walking more is fine.

Also, legs hurting is normal. It means muscles that weren't very active before are waking up and getting stronger. The pain will go in a few days.

If you manage to run for thirty minutes straight, that's excellent. You might need some practice before you manage that though.

There's nothing wrong with running in the heat (I live in a tropical country and I do it nearly every day) but make sure you drink plenty of water, and put some juice powder in it if you can, to replace the salts you'll be losing from sweat as well. It doesn't snow where I live but I'm guessing that's not advisable, you might slip and fall :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Running uphill will kinda hurt, I don't think anything is really wrong with it per se but it'll tire you out very fast, and it's much easier to keep a steady pace on flat ground.

When we stretch for rowing, we do this routine which is kinda stolen from a yoga routine called surya namaskar. We added some other things to it, but you can look up the actual surya namaskar, it's really great for stretching. You can look up videos on youtube as well, I'm sure there are good ones which show you how to stretch properly.

For other exercises, you can try squats and sit-ups... don't do too many of any of these at first otherwise you're going to have an incredibly achy body the next day and you'll barely be able to walk. Starting out with three sets of 10 should be fine. Do them every alternate day, and slowly increase the number when you get more comfortable with it.

As for sticking to the schedule... willpower :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: be consistent and don't try to do too much at once. This isn't something you can push too hard, or else you'll hurt yourself. Just be regular with it and it'll be absolutely fine.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

6. BethLauren

I don't have any advice, I just wanted to say I'm so glad you made this thread because I'm going to start trying to get fit over the summer when I'm no longer exhausted from college every day (so starting next week)

7. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm fourteen and quite healthy, outside of not exercising and poor eating habits, I mean.

By poor eating habits, I mean eating at random times and eating random stuff. My dad does bring up fresh fruit and smoothies every night, though. BLESS HIS HEART.

I can't go to a gym because someone will have to drive me there. And because I am much, much too shy to actually go. I would just prefer to exercise within my neighborhood.

And, thanks so much for your input. I'll see what I can do about the walking. How long do you recommend?

Thanks a whole bunch for all that information! I really appreciate it.

I have tried listening to music before, but the earplugs fall out sometimes. Haha. That, and I don't want anyone sneaking up from behind me.

In any case, you covered a lot. I'll definitely look back to this post, haha.

No problem. I wish you good luck! I have commitment issues when it comes to things like this, so I'm hoping by actually posting a thread and being serious about it for once, it won't slip up like last time. >>

8. Yosia

My advice: Dont. XD

9. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :lol: