1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cutting

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by artist92, Jul 7, 2014.

1. artist92

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lately Ive been struggling really hard with depression, and everyday gets worse. I had only one thing left in my life that gave me a glimmer of hope, and now it's gone. My parents are no help, my therapist and my meds don't work, and I have no friends. Ive been cutting my arm just because it feels good. Knowing that I have the power to end it all once it gets to be too much gives me a little comfort, but I know its not right. Should I just end it all, because I honestly think its the right decision. I just want to make sure.

2. BreezyB

No you shouldn't because that's a very permanent solution to what are probably temporary problems
    just like you have the power to end it all you have the power to make change in your life for the better
    and believe me no matter what problems you have if you hold out things always get better as long as you work to make them better

3. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, i agree with breezy it is not worth killing yourself over temporary problems, if you ever feel the urge to cut, try these things, listening to music, go outside and breath in nature, go for a walk, or just talking to someone can help, if you ever need help im here :slight_smile: (*hug*)(*hug*)

4. WorldWalker

I'm sorry you feel that way. :frowning2: I'm not sure of your situation but I do understand that feeling of desperation and hopelessness. It doesn't have to be that way. Here's the number to the National Suicide Hotline in the US. 1-800-273-8255. Call them or call a friend/family member!

(((Hugs)))

5. BethLauren

I'm really sorry you're feeling that way!!! I know how addictive cutting is and it feels like it really does help, but it's not a good way of dealing with how you feel. Please just try and keep your chin up, do things that make you smile (write, dance, draw, eat, watch a funny movie)
    Please don't end it!

6. Mr D Gamer

You should write a list of everything you are great at that makes you feel good and focus on enjoying your strengths. Once I tried to overdose and it is terrifying so please think twice before you do anything to hurt yourself. Have a hug (*hug*)

7. artist92

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the advice. I did attempt to end it all 2 days ago, but I stopped right before I did it. I've had multiple almost attempts within the past few years. I'm just to weak to actually do it I guess. But I'm afraid what my parents will say if they see my arms. I just cant get happy, or even smile anymore. I've tried everything that usually helps, but nothing helps.

8. CyanChachki

I used to cut A LOT. I have over 100 scars on my body, mainly my arms. When I first started it wasn't like it felt good or anything. It stung, it was a mess and moving my arm in any slight way came with a fair amount of pain. I did it because it was a release. I was still harming myself but in the end I realized something. Something big that changed my entire life:

I was not getting better.

It took me years to take off my punk arm sleeves and show the world what I actually looked like. No one says anything but you can tell in their eyes that they are afraid. They don't understand and often, they want to run away because they're afraid if they try to help and it doesn't work, then THEY will be to blame. I don't resent them for it at all, but I used to. I used to be so unreasonably jealous and loathed those who didn't understand because I personally couldn't understand why it was so hard to care for someone and that they really did want me gone. I wanted to prove to them that I had a place but I was doing it all for the wrong reasons. I was doing it to get back at those who where innocent onlookers and didn't know what to say to a stranger. I was doing it to climb higher than everyone else, in which I would've probably released my wrath, which wasn't good.

In the end, I learned that cutting doesn't do anything. I learned that therapy sometimes doesn't work and medication sometimes fails. That there are many people out there who will look the other way to avoid an awkward situation instead of helping and that it is heartbreaking and yes it could make anyone feel that heart groping pain inside. That reasons like that are the reasons why you want to hurt yourself.

But try to think of it this way. You are here because you want to be. You are here because you are strong and you love yourself enough to hold on to that hope that tells you that there are better days out there. That hope that tells you if you hold on long enough, you can find people who care for you and find people who want to help make you happy in any way possible. Hold on to that hope because harming yourself isn't the answer and I'll tell you why.

I've cut for years and the only thing that it gave me was a ton of scars. Scars that only I knew why they where truly there. It doesn't help to look at them and like yours, my parents never said a word to me. They never allowed me to talk about my problems and that made me a very angry, bitter person seeking something that I should've never started seeking in the first place. My advice is to stop hurting yourself and start looking for people who really want to make a difference in your life. I know that it sounds hard to do and it is a little bit but you will get there and when you do, you'll look at those scars and you won't see them as a bad time in your life. You'll see them as battle scars, knowing that you've won your battle with depression. Believe it.

9. ChainsrGone

The fact that you posted on the forum looking for advice shows me that in your heart of hearts, you really don't want to end it. You reached out to other people, people who care and will listen. I struggled with depression and self harm for many years (over 20) and as many times as I wanted to end it all, I wanted to keep searching for hope even more times, and I am so happy that that side won because if you had told me even 4 years ago that I'd be married, happy, and carefree I would have laughed in your face. But here I am, married to my soulmate and I've never been happier. Everyone deserves happiness, and there is happiness for everyone out there. Don't give up.

10. Mogget

My general recommendation for dealing with the urge to self-harm is grounding, particularly forms of grounding that are painful but not harmful like holding an ice cube to your skin, biting into a chili pepper, or snapping a rubber band on your wrist.

11. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I was like you once too. I had Schizoaffective Disorder. It made me have manic depression and horrifying visions of my family being tortured by demons. I cut myself sometimes, but more often I would pick at my skin and peel it. I would also hit myself. Many times I felt suicidal. My meds weren't working either and I had to be checked in to the mental hospital many times. But eventually I got a new doctor. She found the right medicine for me and now I am almost 100% better. I still hallucinate sometimes, but the demons are gone and I'm not depressed or manic any more. I am proof that things get better. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Find a way to keep living, and if you feel like you can't keep yourself safe, go to the hospital.

12. artist92

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you all. I don't really have the courage to end it, but I also don't like cutting. But I can't stop, because its the only thing that feels right. I was going to tell my parents, but they called the police when they found out I was suicidal. Now I can't tell them, because they'll call again. I just want to die, but I can't get the strength to do it.

13. ABeautifulMind

I have heard stories of people who attempt suicide and survive. Every single one regretted it as soon as they did, and were happy to learn they failed.

I would have to suggest that you try to find out what is at the root of it all. Whether that means severe and intense introspection, therapy, or talking to your parents. I know it seems like you cant trust them but your parents obviously love you. They would not call the police if they didnt. They didnt know how to protect you, so they called. If you really feel you cant talk to them though, perhaps you should tak to them about getting into therapy. Not a psychiatrist, I mean psychologist. Just to talk. You have to figure out why your unhappy before you can be happy.

I also think it is important to point out that the reason you can not get the courage is not fear, it is knowledge. You know this is not the answer. I frequently tell people who are depressed that this is a very permanent solution to a very temporary problem. Just try to get help because I think you may be in a little over your head, and there is no on in the history of anything that didnt need help with something. Everyone needs help or support at some point. Just stay strong and accept that help and support and I think you will be fine. (*hug*)