1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to fall asleep easier?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Nychthemeron, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Last night, I went to sleep at 21:00. And yes, I was tired. But I tossed and turned, and eventually, I had to get up and put my blanket away. Then I checked the time.

23:00.

Thankfully, I went to sleep soon after. But still - TWO to THREE hours?

That's better than some people, but I don't have any sleep disorder or anything. I literally just went to sleep tired and couldn't fall asleep.

I think it mostly has to do with how my body adjusts. I can't get into any comfortable position. It always feels tense and uncomfortable, so I end up switching positions about thirty or forty or fifty something times, and I'm not even kidding. It's like I have to shift or move every ten seconds.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is it caused by something I'm doing? What can help?

EDIT: And yeah, I've Googled it. But nothing seems to help, or the things that possibly can, I can't do them.

#1 Nychthemeron, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  2. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh how I wish I knew.

Last night I actually went full nocturnal and slept 9am to 6pm. When I'm on a long holiday I always sleep later, but that, just... wow. I'm starting to feel it's my bed/positioning and the fact that I haven't found the off switch for my mind. I've got a small, old mattress which can't help so whenever I'm on someone else's bed in a different room I can usually get decent sleep. Maybe it's worth checking out your sleeping equipment and how comfy it is?

I've tried white noise, fans, hot baths, less electronics, warm milk. Can't say any of them have worked for me, I don't know if you've tried them but if you haven't it's worth a shot I'd say. You've probably got a job, so in that case this wouldn't be a good idea on weekdays, but maybe try stripping your room of everything time and work related, and opening your curtains a bit?

I doubt any of this'll help since you've probably already tried it, but it's worth a shot. Nightowls ftw!

3. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nah, I'm still a teenager. Apparently we're 'wired to go to sleep later at night,' but I don't want to. It adds onto the electricity bill and it will wreck my performance at school. Plus, no one's up at 6:00.

Peace and quiet.

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually fell asleep after the fan was turned on, and it's pretty sweaty here, so perhaps it's because my room was stuffy?

In any case, I hope you find a way to sleep easy, too. I have a feeling I would be so much happier if I could actually lucid dream, but alas, it was not meant to be. :tears:

4. 101DeadRoses

If you can, try taking a melatonin pill every night about a hour before you go to bed. It takes a couple days to really kick in, and for you to get a really healthy routine starting, but even just the first night taking it should help you get to sleep WAY better. The only thing is, when it starts kicking in it KICKS IN. AS IN KICKS IN YOUR SKULL UNTIL YOU GO THE F*CK TO BED. So make sure you have homework done, 'kay? :slight_smile:

It's a natural sleep supplement that many people nowadays lack, and it kicks your brain into the right rhythm so you can get to sleep.
    Most people sleep indoors lol so the cycle of night and day doesn't affect us like it would naturally, and melatonin helps to get our bodies settled back into that cycle.

5. mangotree

Here's a few things that have helped me in the past.

Have a cold shower right before bed, stand right under it for as long as you can - I know, it sounds like it would result in the opposite of the desired affect, but it makes you feel clean and fresh, clears your mind and can often bring on sleep more quickly. Especially during the hotter months.

Experiment with different kinds of pillows. Not just for under your head. Try cuddling them or putting them over your eyes/ears etc...

Learn to meditate / clear your mind.
    If you've been on the internet or watching TV or doing homework within a couple of hours prior to trying to sleep, your mind will still be a bit busy. If you can learn to switch it off - sleep will come a lot more easily.

Do some intense exercise / cardio.
    Probably make sure you've finished the exercise about 3 or 4 hours before you're due to go to sleep.
    The more you push yourself and the more you tire your body out, the more it will love the rest and relaxation. Might also help with the flipping and flopping.

Read a boring book before you go to sleep.
    If you have an e-reader or a tablet, try downloading some of those free / out of copyright books. The stories are good, but they don't absorb you as much as some more recent ones.
    Either that, or read a book that you've already read before.
    Just the act of 'trying' to keep your eyes open to read, often makes them want to close more.
    Self-help books seem to work as well. They're usually pretty easy to put down mid-chapter. Maybe kill two birds with one stone and read a self-help book about lucid-dreaming.

Peace! (*hug*)

6. Really

7. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

Yeah I would also suggest Meltonin. When I take it I can't stay up even if I want to. :sleep:

8. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Pills! THE HORROR!

That sounds like a good idea, but that sounds pretty drastic. I guess I'll think about that if worst comes to worst.

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions. I did try some of these before, especially the pillow one, but my pillow is extremely uncomfortable and I usually sleep without it. Maybe I should switch or get back on it?

I'll take a look at that. Thanks.

Well, that sounds scary. What if someone breaks through my door and I just suddenly collapse sleeping?

(that's not an actual concern of mine, but hey, it can happen)

9. Greeley

Are you working or doing much in the day?

When i was unemployed and spending all my days just at home watching tv shows and on the computer, i had loads of trouble trying to sleep.

Now that i have a 9-5:30 job, i'm tired at 10:30pm and fall asleep within about 5 mins of hitting the pillow all through the night until 5mins before my alarm :slight_smile:

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is important to have an evening ritual, getting rid of stimulations like computers and cellphone is important (for about an hour before bedtime).

Greely's point above is worth noting, doing your hard work during the day will make you tired. Is that your situation or do you bring work home with you?

It is also OK to wake up in the middle of the night. Happens to me often, I just get up, read or whatever and go back to bed when I inevitably feel sleepy. This doesn't seem to affect my day at all...

11. thekillingmoon

I stay up until I start feeling tired and drowsy. Then I fall asleep pretty fast. I can't sleep if I go to bed when I'm not sleepy yet. It takes a long time then. I suppose it's a problem when you need to get up early and still want to get a good night sleep. But if you go to bed at the same time every day, your body should adjust to it. Maybe it's stress. I'm not a doctor though.

12. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ditto. When I started working, I felt really tired when I got home, especially if I was working 12-hour shifts. I remember working a 12-hour shift from 1pm to 1am, and I was completely beat when I got home. Slept for 11 hours. :lol:

13. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I recently started to do a little light exercise. I walk about half a mile in fifteen minutes, twice a day, but otherwise, I just sit around doing nothing.

Maybe I should exercise harder?

I don't have any job or volunteer work, so not really. I do exercise lightly, as I mentioned above.

I tried eliminating electronics once. I dimmed the lights and just doodled and listened to gentle music for a while, then I went to sleep all drowsy. But no luck.

Fortunately, I'm not stressed. I actually completed my summer homework already, so I'm in a great mood.

Problem is, if I just stay up, I might just stay up until 2:00. I'm trying to aim for 6:00 or at least 7:00 as my waking time, and four or five hours of sleep just won't cut it for me.

Ouch, jobs sound like they're a pain in the butt. I guess I should intensify my exercising. Or at least do it more often.

14. Yosia

Teddys or something to cuddle helps me :3

15. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a soft duck named Martin. I legitimately get embarrassed when I bring stuffed animals into bed, but hey, there's nothing wrong with it and I'm honestly getting a little desperate here. :lol:

16. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

I also get embarrassed. :rolle: Why should we be ashamed? Teddys are for all ages! :icon_bigg

---------- Post added 9th Jul 2014 at 10:09 AM ----------

Well that does sound bad. :frowning2: Luckily there's other people in my house so I don't worry about it. Lots of people take Melotonin though, especially people who take physiatrics meds in the morning it seems. :thumbsup:

17. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    TEDDIES ARE FOR NERDDDS. I HAVE AN OWL, A PENGUIN, A DUCK, AND A ROOSTER.

I'm just kidding. Teddies are cool.

Heheh, thanks. I'll definitely bring it up if I continue having problems.

18. IceKunoichi

That actually happened to me today.I went to a movie last night and got home around 12:30 and I was so tired but i woke up two hours later.I been up since then and can't sleep. But usually when this happens I lay down and day dream then eventually fall asleep XD

19. ABeautifulMind

I have done the melatonin in the past, not a major problem, but can be addictive. Just like anything you put in your bod that your body produces naturally, your body can stop producing it.

I would suggest 2 things. Go buy a new pillow, and try reading at bed time.

A new pillow I think is crucial. I couldnt imagine sleeping without one and you find yours to be uncomfortable. I think that is important to remedy lol.

20. ABeautifulMind

I have done the melatonin in the past, not a major problem, but can be addictive. Just like anything you put in your bod that your body produces naturally, your body can stop producing it.

I would suggest 2 things. Go buy a new pillow, and try reading at bed time.

A new pillow I think is crucial. I couldnt imagine sleeping without one and you find yours to be uncomfortable. I think that is important to remedy lol.