1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I make my chest flat by exercising and losing weight?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Owl333, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

I'm a trans* guy/FTM and I have a small chest to begin with, and I'm a regular/slightly chubby weight, but very out of shape. If I eat less/more healthy and excerise will I be able to make my chest flat? I'm also on Puberty blockers if that makes a difference. Thanks! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

2. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Losing weight definitely can make your chest smaller, though it isn't guaranteed to work, and it won't make your chest flat. Given that your chest is small to begin with, it's probably less likely to work, but it's worth a try. Worst thing that can happen is that it doesn't work but you still get some healthy eating and exercise :slight_smile:

3. Nick07

I believe the blockers will do the main work. You may want to check how they can influence your weight though.
    Excercising probably won't work and yes, anorectic women don't have a big chest...
    Your body is going through a lot with the puberty and blockers, be nice to it. Eat healthy. As far as I know any kind of hormones can influence your weight (both ways), so ask your doctor what you can expect.

4. Ridiculous

If you are pre-puberty (and since you are on blockers then you will remain pre-puberty) then you probably haven't developed much actual breast tissue. If your chest is mostly fat deposits, which sounds likely, then yeah diet and exercise would help the same as it does with removing fat anywhere else on your body.

Definitely talk to your doctor though because if it is breast tissue then exercise and diet won't have much of an impact.

You could also try building up your pectoral muscles (they are the big chest muscles). They will make the chest and upper body area bigger and broader, but at the same time they will flatten it out. Pushups are an easy exercise that will target your pectorals.

5. PotatoSmuggler

I'm "skinny fat" (slim, but have a high body fat percentage) so I'm trying to lose a bit of weight and gain a ton of muslce. I'm around an A/B cup. It also depends on your breast density. Lower density breasts are mostly comprised of fat, which are easier to lose than higher density breast which are mostly comprised of tissue which can only be removed through surgery.

I'd say workout if you want, but lose slowly or else the skin will be super loose and you'll just have empty skin sacks instead of a flat chest. Also building up the arms can make your breast look smaller.

6. Ridiculous

Loose skin isn't much of issue when you are young because your skin is still very elastic and will shrink (and stretch) without too much trouble. Unless you are losing a LOT of weight, or are significantly older, like 35+, then you don't really have to worry about loose skin.

Really good point about building up your arms (and shoulders!) to make your chest look smaller in comparison though, that is definitely a good idea.

7. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

Well I'd already gone through a fair bit of puberty when I started blockers, as I'd had my period for two years, and was in about stage four in terms of chest development. So I'm not exactly what you'd call 'pre puberty'. How much of the chest is usually tissue? :frowning2:

---------- Post added 8th Jul 2014 at 10:36 PM ----------

How do I measure the density of my chest? :confused2:

---------- Post added 8th Jul 2014 at 10:37 PM ----------

Thanks everyone for all the advice btw. :slight_smile:

8. PotatoSmuggler

The only way to measure the density of your chest is through a mammogram. I'm just assuming mine is mostly fat because I've gained 20 pounds and went up 2 cup sizes because of it. I figure if I lose 20-25 pounds I'll go back down to a AA. It's all a guessing game though unfortunately. You can always ask your doc about it.

9. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

It won't make your chest flat but it'll help develop your pectoral muscles and could potentially draw attention away from that area. If you decide to have top surgery, having developed pectoral muscles allows the surgeon a clear path to follow and optimizes top surgery results.

It's also worth considering that some cis guys do have larger chests. I'm actually tiny compared to a lot of guys I've been around when I'm not wearing my binder.

10. Ridiculous

Ah okay. As PotatoSmuggler said it is individual so you can't really tell unless you do a proper examination (like a mammogram). However two years of development generally won't be much, especially since you say it is relatively small already, and if you have fat deposits elsewhere on your body it's very likely you'll have a similar amount on your chest.

11. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

Alright, thanks guys! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: All this has been very helpful!