1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Menstrual cups. Advice needed.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by anonym, Jul 9, 2014.

1. anonym

anonym Guest

To help my dysphoria and make my periods as discreet as possible, I really want to swap from using pads and tampons to a menstrual cup. I have bought myself a meluna cup in size small and the softest plastic. I tried using it on my last period but I just couldn't get it to open out. I tried all kinds of techniques that people have suggested online - squeezing the bottom of the cup, twisting it, various folding techniques - but no luck. I could really do with some advice from cup users. Perhaps the plastic is too soft for me? The problem is I'm a virgin and don't know a harder cup would be comfortable, if I'd be able to insert it without massive amounts of pain and worst of all, if I would be able to remove it. What would you recommend?

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Hey. Hope I can help. I swear by these things.

I found that my first couple times, I had a lot of issues inserting them. And I'd fold them in half and slip up. If you want, use lube and hold open the orifice. I don't know how dysphoric that'd make you but I found once I'd worn it a few times, inserting it was painless. Natural lubrication made a difference.

Pulling it out won't be a problem. Especially not after you've worn it a few times. But basically, you're gonna push your pelvic wall and grab the cup's stem. Pull gently and once you've got almost half the cup out, fold it in so the cup lips don't stretch out as they leave the orifice. The cups are usually tapered to be easily removable, widest part on top.

3. anonym

anonym Guest

Yeah I have had issues inserting it. I find it's easiest with the punch down fold but I just can't get the cup to open out when I've got it in. I apologise if this is too graphic but I have tried squeezing the base of the cup once it's in to get it to pop open, I have tried twisting it when it's inside, I've tried pressing the wall at the back to let some air in, I've tried to manually open it out by getting my hand in as far as possible and open out the rim but no luck. I can insert it with certain folds like the punch down and just about with the c fold. I've tried the 7 fold as well but that's uncomfortable and I can't get it in with the s fold which is annoying since that's the most springy and likely to pop open. The problem I have is once I have inserted the cup, I can't get it to open out and I'm wondering if I have bought one that's too soft for me? There surely should be a way of getting it to open? Where am I going wrong?

4. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

When you're inserting it, just follow up with a finger and press on the wall of the orifice, not the cup itself. That'll get the cup to spring open. You'll feel "full" but you get used to it.

If you're successful, then you won't notice it as you go about your day. Hell, I can still use my STP and stand at a urinal without anyone noticing or having any leakage. If you do find the angle's off though, just wait until it fills up with blood- the weight of the cup will help make it easier to remove and reangle it.