1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I have a bit of a problem....

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by CuriousArticles, Jul 13, 2014.

1. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay, so this is pretty embarrassing, but I keep freaking out. I can't put anything in my vagina.

So basically I've never been able to use tampons as I can't get them in (I'm a tiny person anyway), but I tried a few times and have only succeeded once when I was about 17 or 18, but it made me feel really weird and I nearly fainted and had to lie down and didn't feel better until I took it out. I don't think this is normal, is it?

Anyway, I've resigned myself to not using them, which is no big deal (apart from the whole swimming issue :icon_sad:slight_smile: And I guess you can deduce that I've never had penetrative sex...or any sex.

But the problem is, I've recently got thrush (fungal infection of vagina, in case you don't know) and I've seen the doctor about it, been treating it for weeks with cream and taken 2 doses of the oral meds (one each week) the doc prescribed and it's still not gone. the other thing she game me was a pessiary that you insert in the vagina and it gradually dissolves or something...which when she game it too me I thought PERFECT! I know it's exactly what i need to sort it out, but i freak out and cry every time I think about trying.

I don't know what to do about it, and I'm worried about going back to the doctor as the only thing I can think they could do is insert it for me, and I really don't want to do that as I don't think it will be any different to me trying plus it will be humiliating and I'm worried I'll have the same reaction as last time i tried to put something up there, but this time i can't get it out again and I'm freaking out.:icon_redf:tears:

2. Tudor

Hey, lots of people have fears...rational and irrational... if you talk to your Doctor they won't force you to have it inserted...talking to them regarding your fears might actually help:
    a) they could possible prescribe an alternative treatment
    b) you could access some support to help investigate your fears...find out if it is a physical or psychological problem and hopefully from there get treatment plan in place...
    don't be embarrassed Doctors have heard much worse...good luck :slight_smile:

3. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi, thanks, for the reply. I appreciate it.

I'm going to see if it goes away without the pessary first - otherwise I'm gonna have to go back :frowning2: I guess there are worse problems to have. I just feel so stupid for feeling this way, and I know I'm going to have to deal with it at some point if not now...

I think part of my worry with going to the doctor is I work at a practice round the corner from my own, so I know how much the staff can come across (not on purpose, and bound by confidentiality of course) and the doctor I saw even used to be a partner where I currently work (before i moved there). Makes things feel weird.

4. Don't feel stupid, I'm pretty sure it's fairly common to have problems with tampons and it totally can be embarrassing to talk to your doc about that stuff. My old roommate never used tampons. She just could not for the life of her figure out how to fit it.

Have you tried using water-based lubricant to insert your tampons? If not, you might want to try the pessary that way. Also, if you're not all hunched over the toilet it's easier to get stuff in there as well, don't be afraid to try a different angle to see if it feels more comfortable--it should if you can pinpoint the right direction. I really sympathized with you when you talked about putting the tampon in and you weren't comfortable until you got it out! I've put a tampon in at the wrong angle and damn that really sucks, just take it out, readjust, try again if you need to. Sitting on the corner of the bathtub or something like that might not hurt and otherwise just relax and breathe as much as possible.

But if you're not ready to try that, don't feel stupid for having to go back to see your doctor about this. They're doctors, it's their job. They don't feel embarrassed about it, so there's little reason for you to. (It's, I imagine, like when someone feels uncomfortable buying whatever they're buying at the store because the cashier might judge them...from experience I can say I do not care what people are buying, I don't even register it really because it's my job and I do it a billion times a day...)

Good luck and get well soon! :slight_smile:

5. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well only one of my close friends used tampons, and only when swimming, as she thinks they feel weird. I did manage to get it in, but maybe I was doing it wrong....It's just that it didn't feel uncomfortable or hurt or anything, it just made my head go (I faint quite easily, so know exactly how to catch it before it happens) so I laid down to stop myself fainting, and actually couldn't get up without removing it or I got lightheaded again...Now I'm too freaked out to try, and just start blubbing when i consider it.

I know that the pessary is different and I probably won't even feel it, as it's smaller, but I can't bring myself to try - mental block I guess. I'll see how it goes. I just hope I don't try it, then it goes wrong and I have to get help from my grandma (who I live with) rather than the doctor as I'm at home and all lightheaded and can't drive! That's even more embarrassing as my grandad will almost definitely be in the house, and my grandma is not good with stairs and he'll be the one to hear me shout for help. This is a nightmare!! :frowning2: