1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heartburn

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by unouxx3me, Aug 30, 2008.

1. unouxx3me

unouxx3me Guest

Gods, what a pain the neck...any hints to getting rid of it? I already take nexium once a day, but that doesn't stop it from coming back. Seems like I can't eat anything without getting it anymore. (MILK is giving me heartburn wtf?) Please help.

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

OK, starting with the basics:

Are you eating a reasonably balanced diet? A reasonable amount of fruit and veg every day, and not too much fast food, convenience food and sugary drinks?

Are you drinking enough water?

Are you getting some exercise each day?

What are you doing after you eat? Laying down is not a good idea.

Don't be too surprised about the milk and dairy products. Nature intended us to stop drinking milk when we stopped breast feeding, and if we did we would become intolarent to it. It's only because we continue to drink milk and eat dairy products that our system continues to accept it. Cutting down on the amount of milk you drink, or going for a lower fat variety, could help.

3. kramer362

CELERY

I get VERY intense heartburn randomly about 4 or 5 times a year. One time I almost wanted to go to the hospital because it hurt so bad I thought for sure it was something else, and I don't tend to be dramatic about pain.

Anyways, I didn't have tums so I frantically searched online and read that eating celery helps a lot. So I ate a stalk or two of celery and it just about went away entirely within 5 minutes. Maybe it was just coincidence, but I think it actually works.

4. i know it sounds really weird but i can always get rid of heartburn by drinking lemonade, like really fizzy, like the first glass from a new bottle. i don't know what it is, but it seems to work.

5. -Michael-

That is amazing...

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you sure it's heartburn? That's what I thought I had, but it ended up being (silent) acid reflux. They now have generic Prilosec pills over-the-counter here in the States, so you might try getting a small (14) box of those. One a day for fourteen days, see if it's any better.

Lex

7. nluvwthagrl1010

I would see a doctor and tell him or her about your problems. It could just be heartburn or acid reflux or even something else. I guess just look at what you are eating and drinking. If I eat something really spicy or fatty, I will get heartburn. The Prevacid Solu-Tabs are great for getting rid of heartburn fast. Good luck! Sorry you are so uncomfortable!!!

8. Bryan

I have the same problem! I went to my GI, and he did an endoscopy on me, and it turns out that I have a heital hernia (meaning the sphincter between my esophagus and my stomach doesnt work, and gastric juice comes up in to my esophagus, causing terible heartburn. You might have a variation of GERD too, You should meet with a GI, and see what they have to say. I would also recomend taking a Prilosec OTC once a day. My GI said that this was better than nexium, and cheaper.

9. unouxx3me

unouxx3me Guest

My diet is as balanced as possible...working in more fruit would be nice (if we had any in the house), but fresh vegetables every other day at the minimum (I hate meat and prefer fruit and vegetables...so since my mom hasn't gone to the grocery store lately no more fresh fruit and veggies). I drink as much as I can (have a kidney stone or two so i need the water) I'm up to about 2 full water bottles a day, some orange juice (two or more cups) and a couple cups of iced tea (which I now isn't the best, but at least it isn't soda). I don't eat fast food, unless it is a complete necessity (it is 7pm, have to be at church already, won't be home until close to ten, hadn't eaten since 10:30 and my mother hasn't cooked yet). I'm not surprised about the milk/dairy products, I was lactose intolerant for awhile, got very sick in July then became lactose tolerant...first time in 9 years, but i NEED calcium and vitamin D (osteoporosis, thanks to chemotherapy) only drink 1% though...I can't exercise often, my body has to be able to walk into the gym and onto a bike if I want to exercise and I pulled a tendon in my foot that had surgery last, so two weeks I have had to take it easy...plus I'm honestly way to depressed to honestly get out of bed.

It would help if it was in the house possibly lol...

Lemonade gives me heartburn, it would be counter productive.

I was semi-recently in the hospital about this...7 weeks ago lol, they didn't give me a endoscopy [Bryan] but ran just about every other test possible without sticking stuff inside of me besides dye and fluids...bastards wouldn't even give me the pain meds I take at home for my legs. Also to Bryan...I hate the local GI doctor, have to wait until I'm 17 to see an adult GI since most pediatric GI's won't take someone who is 16 but the regular ones won't take 16 year olds either. Back to Lex...Prilosec is what my mother gave me when I told her I had heartburn. I can't take it everyday (it is too expensive and my step-dad has to take it every single day, 2 people on it...twice the price, $40 like every two weeks). The nexium seems to keep it under control (I can eat and not be in horrible pain every time I do) but it was just for two days it killed me, then it went away...go figure.

I don't eat spicy foods, and fatty foods just plain old make me sick (gall bladder, got stones). My dr had me on prevacid for awhile but didn't help compared to the nexium.

Thank you all for your responses. My heartburn is gone, and I'm feeling better which is always nice. Next time I get it, I'll use some of your other advice and see how it works out. (&&&) Hugs to all for the help...thanks again.

#9 unouxx3me, Sep 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2008
  10. Jebs

Well it is good to hear your HB has subsided. Will just throw some more information into the stirring pot. Like Bryan I too had GERD, it was pretty excrutiating and had me up late at night throwing up black or just not sleeping at all. I eventually went to the doctor for this and a couple of months later I'm good. Haven't had a single case since. What did I do?

I lost a lot of weight. I stayed away from certain foods: Pizza (no matter what it caused HB), Mexican food (hah), Basically most tomato products, Sodas, Beer (that killed me).

I raised my head and continue to do so till this day whilst sleeping.

The rest Paul kind of stated already, but all of those things help.

11. panda

That's the other thing for Gerds, Reflux. Raise the head of your bed off the floor 4"-6". There are also special >shaped Triangular pillows that you can buy.
    Since I raised my bed I have "0" that's Zero Reflux pain.

12. Rubra et atra

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    A few additional things that might help

Avoid citrus fruits, tomatoes, onions, carbonated stuff, coffee, alcohol, cigarette smoke, cranberries, chocolate and candy in general.. +anything you know gives you HB
    I'd recommend trying Gaviscone half an hour after you've eaten if it's a bad day. Try not to stress too much, stress makes it a lot worse for me.
    Try to work out at least twice a week (if possible)
    You also mentioned depression, this can actually worsen the HB for some people (at least for me it does) so try to get this treated or to get better in some other way.

13. Nova713

Nova713 Guest

I get heartburn as well albeit mild. Anything acidic gives me heartburn. Such as oranges and tomatoes. I can even get heartburn when I don't eat anything. You know your stomach better than anyone, just avoid foods that are high in acidity. If you want more professional ideas, go to webmd.com

14. I have had heartburn once in my life, and I was really young too. Like nine. My mom gave me tums and they didn't work. Eventually I had one of those sore-thoat suckers, for little kids, and it went away.