1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Performance anxiety - my insomnia

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by duende84, Jul 17, 2014.

1. duende84

Performance anxiety - my insomnia

The past few years I suffer from insomnia. But recently I started to think that what if my insomnia is a kind of a performance anxiety (sleep-wise).

As I sit here typing this and think that I have to go to bed soon (yes it is 10h23 PM here) I get a sort of an anxious feeling in my body about the thought. I felt it last night as I turned the light off and ended up tossing and turning until 2h30 AM! Thinking back I have had the same feeling a few times before as well.

Could this be that I am scared to go to sleep?

I must add that we live on a farm and I am always a bit weary that our safety/security might be compromised due to a plague of farm attacks in South Africa. I am also worried about my parents safety and security and always try to keep an ear open to hear if they are alright.

Gosh I need a damn good pampering vacation... :tears:

2. Saucey

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It is very likely that you could be experiencing anxiety over sleeping which contributes you your insomnia. My best friend/roomate has always suffered with anxiety, but usually more of a social anxiety type. But after his father got sick and he was dealing with graduation and moving and some stressful things, he began to have very bad panic attacks before bed or in the middle of the night. We eventually discovered this was most likely because he was afraid to go to sleep due to everything that was happening in his life and knowing that while he's asleep he's disconnected from the world momentarily and worried over what else could go wrong during that time frame.

Unfortunately, a lack of sleep will only worsen anxiety. Everyone experiences this in different ways and as a result, there is no "one" solution that can help everybody out who may be suffering from anxiety. There are many different ways to combat anxiety - some may be helpful and some may not. Do a Google search and experiment until you find something that works for you. It sounds to me like you are scared to go to sleep due to those fears for your safety that you mentioned.

3. Hyaline

I have bouts of insomnia where my brain won't turn off. Seems like I have to just get back up and get back to work and work for another day until exhaustion kicks in and then I finally sleep...Happens 1-2 times a year. It isn't healthy even a little for me because I have sleep apnea to boot..

My suggestion would be to work on ways of helping to build up your security so that you feel safe. Whatever those things might be. Might be cameras/motion sensors or getting a dog... Something to help ease your mind a bit....

4. duende84

Thank you for the suggestions.

Yes, we have 3 dogs and there are security gates on all the access doors.

But I dont know... I am pretty screwed up. And best of all I hate taking sleeping pills and remedies as I feel this makes me dependent. It also is not too good for the general health.

5. Hyaline

Maybe something mild like Melatonin might help. It is something the body produces and doesn't make you sleep but tends to make you sleepy..

Have you thought about seeing a doctor about this? A good vacation might help, but I suspect the remedy will be temporary...

6. Incognito10

I think "sleep anxiety" may be a valid term. I have had it my entire life. If I know I have to be up at a certain time (early) and I find myself not sleeping or not tired, I get really worked up and frustrated about the fact that I am not sleeping and feel I need to. The mere act of getting all worked up about not sleeping causes subsequent anxiety about not getting enough sleep and being too exhausted in the morning...all of this (getting frustrated and anxious) only makes the possibility of sleep even more challenging.