1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lice outbreak??!?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Miles D, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Miles D

So, there's an outbreak of lice at my college, and the chic I hung out all day with's roommate has it, who I also hung out with.

DAMN.
    I'm going to get checked tomorrow.
    :tears:

2. gutsrie

ew, i'm getting itchy just thinking about it! good luck with that! maybe get some sort of pesticide for your room as well.

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Was she in your room?

4. Miles D

no, but I was in their room!
    but I heard lice like clean heads, so I'm just not going to wash my hair for a few days!

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  6. Sam

Sam

It has nothing to do with how clean or dirty you are, you can still get it if you are around someone who has it. A lot of people think you are a dirty person (some say the opposite) if you get it but it's not true lice don't have a favorite condition. One time my cousin had lice and I didn't know it and I slept in the same bed with her and got it.

7. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Head lice have nothing to do with clean hair - I believe that this was a myth invented by middle class parents to explain why their kids got lice!

What you should do is buy a lice comb and go through your wet hair regularly. That may sound gross, but it's a good preventative measure, as it means that you can catch them early on. I have a lot of contact with school-age children so it's a necessity for me. Lice aren't about being clean or dirty - it's about having been near someone else with lice. Because I am often near children (who get lice a lot), it's part of my routine to check my hair, which I do about twice a month. This may sound like I'm disgusting - but actually, that would be like saying someone who washed was disgusting. I see checking for lice as the same thing as having a shower or cleaning or wearing deodrant!

Do you mean that someone else is going to check your hair? Or that you are? If you don't want someone else to check you, do it yourself. You can find the things you need at a pharmacy. And also - if you do find any, and think you've got rid of them, make sure you check again a week later too.

8. riddlerno1

why do children get lice alot?? where do they sorta start from? hmmmm...just got my brain cells thinking?

9. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I think it's more because their heads are always touching each other? As in, they're always playing and in close contact with each other? That's what I think, anyway. I don't think that there's necessarily anything different about their hair. For some reason lice congregate in schools - you'll find that most primary school teachers and adults with young children as relatives are prone to lice too (ie anyone who comes into contact with them).

I don't really know, but that's what I figure. They seem to predominate in children under about 10 for some reason. And mostly girls too, I think. I think it must just be all the playing around and stuff.

10. Miles D

NO LICE!!
    I'm lice & nit free!
    (!)

11. yey!

that always make you feel so much better about yourself for some reason lol.

12. sayitforreals

i remember on "as told by ginger" she said that lice like clean hair. courtney got it and was all "WHAAAT I'M NOT DIRTY!?"

13. Miles D

AS TOLD BY GINGER!!!!
    OMG
    such a good show!
    I totally forgot about it, until just now.
    WOW.
    :icon_bigg

14. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had to suffer through not one but TWO lice outbreaks back before I turned ten. I don't remember them itching quite so bad, but we did have those tiny eggs in our scalp. (My brother got it the same time I did, both times.) The cure back then was to wash the hair in this really strong shampoo - we had to be naked in the tub, as Mom rubbed this stuff in our heads while wearing rubber gloves. Then after letting it sit forever, she had to rinse it out and comb our heads with these tiny "nit combs". Then I think we had to repeat the process a couple days later. Oh, and washing everything (pillowcases, shirts) in hot water over and over again, or throwing them out. Hopefully the treatment has gotten better over the years...

Odd note. I remember sitting in the tub, lice shampoo burning my scalp, and my mother brought in a portable radio so we could listen to music while we stewed. The first song on the radio was "Reunited" by Peaches & Herb, and I remember thinking how much I hated that song, and even more so now that I could connect it to my scalp being on fire.

So next time you hear this song, think of the gargoyle naked in the bathtub with a head full of stinky suds, fuming.

[youtube]pS1s7LvOUZI[/youtube]

Lex

#14 Lexington, Sep 5, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  15. panda

Thanks Lex.!! There's an image of little Gargoyle sitting in the tub, head covered in suds, grooving along with Peaches and Herb...:grin: