1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protein Powder

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Young Blood, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I'm starting to get serious about working out and I got protein powder. Anyone know of any good ways to use protein powder and the best times to have it?? Kinda new to the protein scene :lol:

2. Really

It's always best to get your nutrients from actual food sources unless you have a medical condition which prevents it. I would forego the powder.
    Eggs
    Tofu
    Rice and beans
    Quinoa
    Nuts
    Etc

3. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol, I'm gonna be eating, I was just gonna use this as a little something extra if that makes sense :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'm not using it as a meal replacement...I've heard some people do that.

4. Stoccata

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Whey protein I take it?

I drink protein shakes almost every day. (I try to get 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight.) The best time to take them is directly after a workout. On off days you can take protein at whatever time you want.

5. Ridiculous

Muscle repair (and therefore protein utilisation) happens in the days following exercise - mostly in the 24-48 hours afterwards, but if the exercise was intense enough then repair will continue for up to 5 days or more afterwards. Taking a protein supplement immediately after exercise isn't going to be much different to having it say, 12 hours afterwards.

It is more important that your available protein levels are kept relatively steady throughout the day. Our bodies do not store protein as protein - it is either used to repair/build your muscles and other organs, or converted to sugars to be used as an energy source (which are then turned into fat if they aren't used).
    Because of this, you can't just 'stock up' on a bunch of protein at once and then expect it to stay as protein until it is all used.

If you look at your normal diet and figure out where the biggest gap in your eating is, I'd suggest this is when you should take your protein supplement. For most people this is probably between lunch and dinner, or shortly before you go to bed (since you won't be eating anything for the ~8 hours following).

Honestly though the benefit you get from perfectly engineering the time you consume the protein is far less important than the fact you are actually having it at all. The difference between taking it with lunch or taking it in the gap several hours after lunch is pretty insignificant in the scheme of things.

6. BelleFromHell

My dad made me drink protein shakes and eat protein bars for breakfast and lunch everyday. This was back when I went to a public school, and my friends thought I was trying to strave myself. My dad eventually dragged me out of high-school due to the teachers finding out about my anxiety, and calling CPS on him, HA.

Off topic. Anyway, my point is you should get protein from actual food. Those shakes may seem yummy at first, but after the first week, you'll get pretty fucking sick of them. They caused me a lot of stomach issues, too, but I'm gluten-intolerant, so that probably had something to do with it. Either way, getting protein from real food is going to make you feel a million times better.

7. duende84

Whey-powder protein shakes works well but only as part of a good fitness plan. Me and my BF takes shakes 15 minutes before we start with the workout.

8. LonelyGuy80

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'll usually take a scoop of protein powder when I get home from a workout and then again the next morning. I don't like taking them everyday, but I eat a lot of chicken and other sources of protein.

I like the ones your can buy at Sams Club or Costco, plus they go on sale every now and then which helps if you are on a tighter budget.

9. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cool, thanks guys!! I'm definitely gonna be getting protein from actual food sources, but I'm gonna try and find if I can make some protein smoothies :slight_smile: