1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low Self-esteem bc. of Acne

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by thevenerable, Jul 31, 2014.

1. thevenerable

Southeast Asia - yeah it's not just South and East
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm suffering from acne since I was 14 years old (I'm 19 now) and this made me feel really ugly. I don't have the confidence to meet new people for thinking that they may feel disgusted. I don't really have those big red zits but the acne marks that the pimples left on my face are very noticeable. I also have acne scars, not to deep but still noticeable.

I have a very low self-esteem because of this. I feel so ugly. I'm now considering surgery just to remove these scars. The thing is, because of low self-esteem, I also want to fix my nose. I want to change completely how I look because, I think, acne ruined my face.

Uggh, I hate myself. :tears: What do you think? Should I continue my plans to undergo surgery? My only concern is what if I got addicted?!

2. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Acne is a horrible thing that I think only few manage to completely avoid. I have had my share as well previously. I had some treatment when I was 15-ish which worked, but the fact is although it did get rid of it, it soon just came back later on. The side effects from the treatment meant I couldn't/didn't want to take anymore.

I personally wouldn't consider surgery at 19 if I were you. You may find the troubling scars gradually fade over time. I know it's sucks you can't just get rid of them, but surgery isn't always a simple easy fixer.

I think you look good on your photos uploaded to EC. What is it about your nose that you don't like? Nothing really stands out to me as hugely out of the ordinary?!

3. Stoccata

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    First off, I know how you feel about acne. I had it BAD. I mean, I had it all over my entire face, my upper chest, and my upper back and shoulders. I've been put on just about every acne medication out there. It cleared up after taking isotretinoin. My acne came back but it wasn't nearly as bad. It still sucks though.

However, looking at the pictures you have on EC, I don't see a thing wrong with your face. I really wouldn't reccomend surgery.

Have you seen a dermatologist at all? What does he or she think?

4. Really

I also had adult acne - not much but still enough. I found this website which was very helpful. They had a product, which I bought, and a suggested regime (and discussion forum!) but it's basically a 2.5% benzoyl peroxide gel. If you can something like that in your local pharmacy, give it a try. The website was acne dot org.

As for the scars, I actually found that an egg yolk mask works surprisingly well. I think it's the vitamin A. You separate the egg and keep the yolk in the fridge for a few days only or it goes bad. (I freeze the whites for recipes). Just smear the yolk on and leave for at least 10 minutes or so - maybe before a shower e.g. Use a gentle cleanser to completely wash it off. Do it for however many days you like.

Also, strangely, wearing sunscreen helps to prevent the return of acne. Weird, I know but I've concluded my skin behaves better when I baby it instead of scrubbing it to within an inch if its life. Oh. And keep drinking water.

5. thevenerable

Southeast Asia - yeah it's not just South and East
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My nose looks flat in front but sharp on the side view so I want to try nose contouring. I also want laser surgery for my acne scars. I just don't feel confident with how the way I look now. People are teasing me because of these acne marks and scars and I don't look good in pictures because of my nose.

Yeah, she said that there's nothing to worry about. I only have mild acne and it'll soon go away. She also said something about it being hereditary; my mom and dad had acne but they're 100% clear now---I'm not really sure if she's joking. I'm already 19 and my skin is still acne prone! :tears::tears:

6. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

I recommend Proactiv Solution. It really does work! I've been using it since 2005. The people that say it doesn't work aren't using it properly. Give it a try!

7. Stoccata

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Dude, if your dermatologist says it'll go away soon then chances are it'll go away soon. It's not uncommon AT ALL for you to have acne at 19. And from your pictures your skin looks pretty damn clear honestly. You have mild acne, it's really not a big deal. Does your dermatologist have you on anything, and if so, how long have you been on it?

Also, are your scars actually scars, or are they just marks from where you had zits? Because there is a difference. The marks might take several months to fade but they will disappear.

I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but to be blunt it sounds like you have self-image problems, not acne problems.

And look, I know acne sucks, I really do. I had severe acne. It was so bad that my little cousin who I hadn't seen in a while asked "what happened to your face? Were you in a fire?" I was put on isotretinoin, which is the strongest acne medication I know of, and requires monthly blood tests. The side effects were awful. Nothing else I took had any effect on my acne.

That being said, your acne doesn't sound nearly that bad. I'm pretty concerned that you're considering surgery.

8. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

It's ok :slight_smile: you need to be confident and smile because you will feel better but I it's a problem maybe these will help I use these three and they work well for me. Especially the st.ives apricot scrub it removes all of the dead skin and leaves your skin feeling great! No I'm not spam haha cx but I recommend them :slight_smile: here's a pic I the three products. But the one on the right the big one was actually recommended by my dermatologists so that made me feel confident it worked and it did work so yea but anyways here you go :slight_smile:

Attached Files: