1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clearing throat, a tic?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Diego89, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Diego89

Hi,

For years now I've had this thing were I keep clearing my throat, at all time! I can't remember when I started doing it, but it's been a long time (5+ years).

It's really no big deal, besides being very annoying to me and specially to people around me.

At first I thought there was something wrong with my throat but after some visits to the doctor assuring me there was nothing wrong with it, I started to believe it could be just a nervous tic.

The thing is I really feel the need to clear my throat as if something was stuck there and feel a certain relief after doing it just to feel the need to do it again a few moments later. It also gets worse when I get a cold. However I've also noticed that it aggravates when I'm under stress (at work) or when I'm trying not to do it (at the movies) so I think there's a nervous factor to it too.

As I said it's no big deal, hence the lack of attention I've given to it, however it's been a long time and I certainly don't want to live like this forever. It can get really annoying, like doing it several times a minute for a long period of time. I know crazy!

Anyone who can relate? Advice?

Thanks.

2. phony

It's probably mucus and you're probably allergic without knowing it.

When you feel you have that weird thing in your throat can you speak normally? If you can't, it's mucus and you have to start treating the source of your allergy or start taking antiallergics (anti histaminics)