1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the motivation of reparative therapists?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Tightrope, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are secular and non-secular (religious) reparative therapists and "pioneers" out there. These are people who want to convert people to being straight. They know their success rates are virtually nil. They have caused some LGBT to go over the deep end. Some groups have disbanded. In disbanding, some have apologized.

What is it with these people who are the MDs, psychologists, and other (mental) health workers that are on this bandwagon? Why did they pick THIS mission? What is it about THEM? Other than money and creating a niche for themselves, is there anything else that motivates them?

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They are evil.

3. Ridiculous

Most of the blame can go to religious conviction and monetary gain I think. A lot are probably just bad people as Pret Allez says and are using the guise of therapy to give them an opportunity to abuse and belittle LGBT people and get their own little power trip when they do it. There may be one or two that are deluded enough to genuinely believe they are helping.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the majority of it is religious belief. These folks genuinely believe (egged on by a bunch of crappy research and other people with the same misguided beliefs) what they're preaching, and further, they believe they are doing God's work by "saving" people from the sin of homosexuality.

Fortunately, many of them are starting to realize they often do more harm than good and are giving up the "fight." Exodus, the largest such group, recently shut down and the founder (who now acknowledges being gay) apologized. Hopefully more will do so.

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can see that. In victimizing someone, such as a LGBT person, they are trying to prop themselves up in the process.

---------- Post added 10th Aug 2014 at 09:58 PM ----------

I think I remember hearing or reading that about the founder. What's that term in psychology? Reaction formation? If that means doing the opposite of what's really going on, then I'm using the term correctly, thinking back to basic college psych.