1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody else hate exercising?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by redneck, Aug 11, 2014.

1. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am not afraid of physical activity, in fact I actually enjoy it. The problem is that I hate exercising just for the sake of exercising. For example I have no problem walking a mile one way to go to the grocery store and pick up a couple items, because there is a destination and a point to the endeavor. I am going to the store then I am returning home the fact that I walked two miles on the trip never registers in my mind. If I were to walk to the end of the block and back just for the sake of exercise I am usually pissed off on my way home because my mind hates meaningless tasks. I'm basically walking home thinking WTF was the point of this? It just doesn't make sense to my mind to waste the energy when there was no logical point other than to burn energy.

Anybody else like this?

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm kinda the same. I'd much rather walk somewhere or do something outside rather than run on a treadmill or whatever people do at the gym :lol:

3. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on what I'm doing, and it really varies from day to day. Resistance training can be boring, but I love running, cycling, playing tennis, football and basketball. Some days, I can't be bothered though.

Walking around the neighbourhood for the sake of it is a waste of time, but I love going for long walks in the countryside. I usually take my dog and camera with me, as well as food and water, and make a day of it (providing I have nothing else to do). Sometimes clock up over 10 miles of walking.

The key to exercising is to find something you enjoy doing, in an environment you enjoy being in. Running on a treadmill sucks, and running around the block several times is pretty boring, but running through the woods or on a scenic country triail is a relaxing experience IMO.

This is where I go running on a morning (less so in winter when it's dark): http://margot-and-barbara.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/IMG_1161.jpg

#3 imnotreallysure, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  4. Ridiculous

You aren't exercising just for the sake of exercising, you are exercising so you can be healthier and/or look better. Keep your goal in your mind.

5. UG Scorpio

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I hate it with a passion never dud it in school I either got note off or bunked it

6. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    See I never minded PE because we didn't do just exercise. We always played kickball, wiffle ball, dodge ball, or some game. Again there was a point to the exercise. I hated basketball practice on days when we would run laps, line drills, or bleachers.

7. Hyaline

about 2.5 months ago I started on a quest to be "arm candy". I will be meeting my BF parents for the first time during a trip to the Midwest. So for me, I set a goal of being in a s good physical condition as I can be. So the goal isn't to just exercise, it was, in my case, to look better. Yes, it's superficial, but it has kept me motivated. (I'm proposing during that trip so that is part of what is keeping me on track).

Perhaps find something that motivates you. I found books on tape to be a good way to keep your mind busy while doing whatever activity you decide on. Going on a walk to enjoy the outdoors and simply be in nature can be helpful for lots of things.

I guess my point is, it is about your mindset. Maybe find a local softball league or some other physical game type activity if that appeals more to you.. And its a good social activity. The gym is more of a solo activity unless you can find a buddy to debate politics or talk shop with as you switch off and work out.

and for the record....I hate the gym, but after finally seeing results, I am becoming more motivated to do it despite my really not enjoying it.

8. Tetra

I feel the same way. My mom works out at the gym daily, but I don't think I'll ever be that kind of person. Getting exercise in other ways is absolutely fine. I like to haul wood for the wood stove, ride my bike up to mountaintops, practice martial arts, and help drag soil and other items for gardening.

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't hate it, but it takes a lot of time, commitment, and literal pain. It's very hard to stay on track with. :frowning2:

However, I really really hate being single, and it running 5 times a week is what it takes to get someone to date me, I guess that's what it takes...

10. ChameleonSoul

11. stormborn

i don't really hate exercising, but i find it tedious, so it's hard to motivate myself. playing team sports has always made me way more motivated and it's way more fun. i play soccer. :grin:

12. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

yup, now i am fat and feel sick all the time and will probably die pretty early

13. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate physical ativities, althought i should do them more often because of their importance on the health.

14. Budweiser

If in your mind you think that instant gratification is the only worthy pursuit then yes, exercise is meaningless.

15. Yosia

I do, i just think its such a waste of time.

16. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't used to like it but now I love it, I think it's because I listen to music while doing it (I don't like to exercise in public thought so I normally do it early morning.)

17. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

@ OP
    I'm pretty much the same which is bad...lol. I'm trying to change my procrastination habits and motivate myself to go for more walks or start exercises...but I just don't stick to it.
    Especially since I could stand to lose a couple of pounds...

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Of course.

I fucking hated it. At first.

I hated breaking into a sweat, feeling sore, and then seeing, I had not lost any weight. I didn't appear any different, I only felt like absolute shit.

The hardest part about working out is, getting into the habit. You almost have to force yourself, at first, because we, as humans in general, tend to dislike change. We also don't like getting out of our comfort zones, sometimes. For me, when I started to get more active, I would do it for 2 or 3 days, stop, do it 1 day, stop for a few days, try again, and then that was it... I was done.

What really pushed me to keep going was, not wanting to make myself an easy target for others. I'm confident in myself, now, that's for damn sure. While I was motivated to stay active, originally, because of others, I now perceive it as being good to my body. I keep myself healthy, because I love myself. Yes, eating a 10-piece Chicken McNugget from McDonald's, with that large Dr. Pepper, is also loving myself, I know.

Dear Lord, do I know!

But I also found something else, that comes from working out...

I become more confident and more disciplined, by setting a goal, and surpassing it. Very few things can compare, to that feeling, of being able to run an extra 5 minutes than before, of being able to lift a few more pounds a time or two more, of being able to swim just one more lap because you've developed stamina, and so on and so forth. I like to push myself, because it is a constant reminder, that you can reach something, if you put the time and focus into it.

Yes, I realize, that sounds corny as hell. I apologize, LOL!

I'm striving to be capable of helping others, and the second step is to push myself forward, and bring others along. The first step, is admitting, getting to the second step is not easy.

19. scub

such enthusiasm.. i'm sure there are plenty of other things in your life that you might consider being a waste of time. :confused:
    exercise is the only thing i would consider to be productive in life.. it's proven that people who actively exercise, generally live longer, look better (slows down aging), are much healthier which results in a much lower chance to develop illnesses, feel better (mentally), and proven to lower stress and depression without having to take medication. you have to look at the bigger picture which should be enough to change your view of exercising.

there are a lot of older people i see at my gym who look like they just started going to the gym because they finally decided they wanted to live a few more years. why wait until your 50+ to do something about it when it's most likely too late to make a huge difference.. the earlier you start, the better you're off.

20. Derivative

Derivative Guest

I absolutely love going on walks, but when it comes to more vigorous exercises I just don't seem to have the motivation.

I have recently started to try and push myself to work through a HIIT program, it's difficult but it feels great afterwards plus the early stages of the program take a maximum of 15 minutes out of your time :slight_smile: If I can do that, anyone should be able to :wink: