1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self Harm ect ect...

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by iamjustababy, Aug 23, 2014.

1. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, basically I need help with something, recently I realized that I do a form of self harm, not cutting or anything , but I would... Uh... "beat myself up" as a way to cope, like I'd slap myself across the face, one time I almost broke my nose from punching myself, and sometimes I'llwake up and my entire arm with be a light shade of purple from punching myself or the wall, I don't want to do this, but it's a way of coping for when everything else fails, but recently this recently this did fail me and I resorted to cutting :tears:

Basically I'm asking how to deal with these, I'm on antidepressants and going to therapy starting next week, but nothing is helping at all.

2. Mocha

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    How long have you been on your meds for? They usually take around four weeks to start making you feel more balanced. And if after 2-3 weeks they have made no difference you need to see your dr again so they can adjust your dose or change your meds.

Try some different coping strategies, your therapist will teach you some, but what has always worked for me when I am stressed or anxious or depressed is running. Or anything physical that you enjoy. When I run I feel like it quietens my mind, or if I have issues or anger I run faster to get rid of the feelings. It will give you a natural endorphin high and wear you out completely.

But definitely go back to your dr if your meds aren't working. Take care x

3. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try punching a pillow instead.

4. black-cat

This is going to be a long post, so prepare yourself for my waffling. :icon_wink

1) Antidepressants take a while to work, and it can take even longer to find the right dose and medication for you. Also, in conjunction with therapy, you should feel better quite soon once all of the above start to have an effect- you just have to hold on a bit longer.

2) Stopping self harming is the obvious thing to do, but I understand that you need/want to feel better and don't know how to go about that, so you cut/punch things. So, if that isn't an option...stay safe with it. Keep the wounds clean (antibacterial cream or soap), dont pick at the scabs, use clean band aids, keep the tool clean, etc. Generally be sensible with them so they don't get infected.

3) Your therapist, if you tell her that you self harm (which I recommend you do) may want to tell your parents. Your therapist will help you through this, and the drugs will help you in between. You may *feel* alone, but you aren't. If no one else- you have me! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4) Substitutes for self harm. Now, as an ex-self harmer, I truly believe that there is a healthy substitute for everyone self harms...it is just a matter of finding what it is and having the freedom to do it, in the meantime, people resort to self harm. I am going to list some common alternatives, ones that have worked for me, and ones that I think may help you, basing from your profile.

• Play a computer game,
    • Having a bath/shower (though obviously not shaving),
    • Going for a run/walk,
    • Doing a workout (tons of free guides online),
    • Sleeping,
    • Write a poem,
    • Crafts,
    • Studying (there are some wicked free online language learning courses, too),
    • Listening to music, learning the lyrics (happy music, not the depressing kind),
    • Drawing, painting, watching drawing tutorials, etc,
    • Do some charity work (this is a better long-term idea),
    • Vent how you feel into diary, a blog (they do one on this site), thread, phonecall, chatline, or internet chat with a counsellor,
    • Groom/stroke/play with your pets,
    • Do your hair/makeup/cosplay/crossplay,

You will have to use your common sense on what works for you, what you have access too, and something where you won't have access to something to self harm with. For example, if you cut with razors, don't go have a bath and shave.

If all else fails, you are more than welcome to message me privately or on my wall, I truly understand, I have been in your situation. My name is Tia by the way.

Stay strong, you are doing really well, I promise.
    *big hugs*

5. Yanna

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You're not alone. I've also done that cause i have these weird thoughts that make me go insane and i just want to find a good way to feel better.

My opinion is, try punching a pillow like the guy above said. It is the best to release stress.

Stay strong sweetheart!!!