1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swollen toe :(

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Helen, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Helen

Helen Guest

The left side of my left big toe has gone all red and swollen. It's done this before, takes ages to go away, and is very painful indeed >.<

I found a gel plaster kit I never used from my D of E expedition last year, so I've been using those, but I can still feel it throbbing, and it just won't go away :frowning2:

Oh, and there are very small bloodly yucky half-solidified bits in between the swelling and the nail :frowning2:

2. ltb2511

Aw, I hope it gets better and you aren't in excuriating pain cause that is very bad.
    (*hug*) to make you feel better.

3. Jim1454

Sounds like it's a bit 'in-grown'. You need to be sure that you're keeping the nail trimmed properly and sitting on top of the skin - and not allowing it to dig in.

Also make sure the shoes you're wearing are comfortable and not causing any irritations.

4. Ben

Ben

:icon_sad: I hope your toe gets better soon :slight_smile:

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yep, sounds like an ingrown toenail. You probably need to go see the doctor. My husband cuts his out with a pocket knife but I don't recommend that.

6. Helen

Helen Guest

Oh my god >.<

I had no idea it was doctorserious :confused:

I have to go on a 42km walking expedition in Mauritius in less than two weeks!!

It's only right next to the left side of the nail, though, not on the top or the other side or anything.

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well it will probably be fine if you have it looked at right away.

8. Blaz

Blaz Guest

Yeah, it does sound like an ingrown. Do you run much at all?

9. pirateninja

Haha, now here is something that I have experience with! It does sound ingrown, and yes, I'm afraid it is doctorserious. If you get it looked at like RIGHT NOW, they may be able to give you antibiotics and get rid of the infection. But seriously, get it looked at RIGHT NOW. I left mine for AGGEEEESSSS and it was only when someone trod on my toe that I actually went to the doctors. If yours is as bad as mine was, you just need a slight operation. Just a local anaesthetic in the toe and they cut the digging in part out. Doesn't hurt, and it heals up in a matter of days.

But like I said, RIGHT NOW. Go. :grin:

10. otc877

otc877 Guest

Like the others, I'll chime in, it's in-grown. I get these fairly frequently, but I usually "take care" of them myself. "Taking care" of it usually involves me removing a small portion of the nail that's inside of the skin and then soaking the toe in hydrogen peroxide. Once you get the nail out from under the skin and apply hydrogen peroxide, the pain goes away almost immediately.

11. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like common symptoms of an ingrown toenail. It's very easy to fix. Go see your doctor as soon as possible and it should be healed in time for your walk. :slight_smile:

12. Helen

Helen Guest

Well, I showed my spectacular toe to my mum, and this was her reaction

"....OOOOOOOH MY GOD!"

So I'm going to the doctor tomorrow afternoon :grin:

13. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oouch! Ingrowns really really hurt. I had one last year, but thankfully I caught it early enough that I didn't need it operated on, I had to soak it in very hot water a few times a day, and press down on the surrounding skin trying to pull it out. It hurt, but it got better. I hope it's OK.

14. Helen

Helen Guest

I WENT TO THE DOCTOR TODAY! :grin:

She was all "Oh god...that is very infected indeed."

I'm now on antibiotics to stop the infection from spreading, some kind of cream for the swelling, strict orders to put my toe in salty water fairly often, and NO PE LESSONS ^_^

Hopefully will be having the nail removed tomorrow. Thanks to everybody who replied, I was really worried, but now it's all being sorted :slight_smile:

15. I'm glad you've gotten it sorted out now Helen :grin:

(*hug*)

16. Helen

Helen Guest

Just had a minor operation to get the bit of the nail that's digging in before the Mauritius trip, the surgeon I was referred to said it should heal in a few days ^_^

It hurt SO MUCH though >.<, it was like being stabbed. I could feel everything that was happening, despite the 'anaesthetic' injection I was given. Hopefully I'll be under General Anaesthetic for the next one :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: The surgeon only managed to give me a temporary solution, for the trip, but I'm going to need a bigger operation to remove the root.

17. pirateninja

At least it's over, but you shouldn't have felt the actual operation. I know the anaestetic stings but after that? They must have fucked up the dosage. But like I said, at least the first part's over.

Hopefully it'll be 100% sorted next time. And don't let them operate on you unless you can't feel anything, that's what anaestetic is there for, after all.

18. panda

Glad you're OK for the trip.:thumbsup: