1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restless nights.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Nychthemeron, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is not a "the lights are off, my eyes are closed, I can't sleep" situation.
    This is a "the lights are on, my eyes are open, and I'm too restless to sleep" situation.

This has been happening a lot lately. I need to wake up at 5:35, but it's already 23:00 here and I don't know when I'll go to sleep.

This has less to do with my tiredness than it does with my unstable emotions. I feel tired right now — sleepy tired. But I do not want to sleep. There's something keeping me awake— some sort of unsatisfactory feelings that tugs at my gut. It doesn't feel good, and it's upsetting me.

I just don't know how to get rid of these feelings. Last time, I stayed up very late because of these— I think about 2:00 or so. I can't remember. But I need sleep, or it will affect my preformance. But how? If I force myself to sleep, the feelings will get worse. I always feel like I'm wasting time when I'm sleeping, you know?

I have no idea what to do.

2. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

Anxiety? It winds me up intesely too when I should be so beyond ready to sleep it is crazy and I hate my brain because it feels like a damn battle. Real life ruiner. Spent at least a decade and a half calling it "the feeling" and that being ignored untila college psychologist explained that it was anxiety.

Writing, drawing, venting, watching a lite cartoon with milk or water, a nice bath or shower with lavender.......

medications when it is bad and unmanagable. although you're 14 :< so idk what a doc would recommend. for anxiety andor sleep aid.

i am so sorry, this is just absolute frustrations and its when i would do my selfharm back when i did. can you take a bath aith all lights off but a candle?

3. TraceElement

Have you considered doing a journal before bed? If I have something on my mind, I will write it down really quick before bed so I don't have to focus on it while I'm trying to sleep. Have you thought about seeing a therapist or counselor?

4. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To gay axolotl:

I don't think it's anxiety. I don't have anything to be anxious about. It's just a restless feeling, like I should be doing schoolwork or something resourceful instead of sleeping.

And, sometimes, I feel like I'm trying to overexert myself to the point of exhaustion just so I can mask the unpleasant feeling. I don't have a name for it. I just don't like it, and I can't fall asleep with it.

Thanks for the suggestions, though. I don't think I can do any, but I appreciate them anyway.

To TraceElement:

That's the thing. I don't know what's causing me to feel this way. It's just a bad feeling that keeps me somewhat involuntarily awake, and no, I haven't. It's only once in a while, and my parents have to pay for it, so I'm really hesitant on going to therapy and things.

#4 Nychthemeron, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  5. TraceElement

Well, if you ever need to talk, I'm here to listen. I pop in usually twice a day.
    There is http://www.thetrevorproject.org/ if you need it too. Have you tried drinking a cup of decaf tea before bed?

6. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks a lot, TraceElement.

No, I haven't. But it's not the matter of actually falling asleep or being tired, if that makes sense. It's me consciously refusing to fall asleep, and when I try to force myself, I get even more restless. It's hard to explain.

7. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My immediate thought was anxiety. and, well, you don't need to have something to worry about .. in order to get anxiety. It just comes an gets you ...

8. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Isn't anxiety a feeling of panic? This feeling is more like... frustration, or disappointment. I think it feels similar to dysphoria. Maybe it is. I don't know.

9. Blossom85

I have the same issues.. I have always been one who just get turn my mind off and I usually end up laying in bed for ages before I fall asleep.. I understand what you say when you try to force yourself to sleep, I always end up wide awake when I do that.. I usually only get to sleep quickly if I am really tired.. I am just used to it by now sadly.. Are you on any medications though that might give you insomnia as a side effect?

10. TraceElement

Have you tried melatonin?

11. black-cat

Melatonin is an effective but gentle drug to try, if you want too. Melatonin is produced by that body naturally, but taking extra doses it makes your body think "yo, I need to stop thinking now and go to sleep" or something.

I get a very similar thing, but I go to sleep then wake up at like 2am and get that feeling then. In *my* experience, it is a subconscious anxiety or memory making trouble, but because it is self conscious, it does enough damage to keep me awake, restless, maybe even a high heart rate or sweaty but no actual anxiety.

*hugs***

12. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, no medications.

Well, no. I don't know where to get it, and I would really, really prefer to keep my parents out of this. I give them enough trouble already. :lol:

Maybe the better question would be "how to stop feeling this way?"

13. black-cat

I imagine you would get it from your doctor, but I totally understand you wanting to keep your parents out of this. A lot of other people here in the thread have mentioned some great things to do before bed to try and prevent such feelings.

Some people find comfort in knowing that they aren't alone and knowing what might cause you to feel like that. Long term, I have no clue how to stop the feelings, probably therapy.

14. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, black-cat (and others). I'll definitely give those things a try. (*hug*)

15. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also e hate waking to sleeping! I wish I didn't need to do it. Have you tried reading before bed? Also try to stay off electronics at least a half hour if not a full one before bed. That works for me.

16. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't have anything to read, and you'll have to literally drag me away from my electronics. Too damn reliant, I have to admit.

But, like I said before, it's not falling asleep. It's getting to bed. I get dead tired and I can probably fall asleep within an hour if I just went to bed, but I don't want to - or can't. Sorry I didn't phrase it clearly.

17. Ryujin

I'm embarrassed to say this, but follow your own advice.

If anyone has problems with this then tell me.

I've been in similar situations where I just want to get up and do shit despite being tired as all hell and this was some... advice...

18. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I was talking about not being tired, but still needing to go to sleep.

In this case, I'm talking about being tired, but not wanting to go to sleep.

19. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You have no books?! :confused:

20. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Heheh... um... on my electronic device, but that would be counterproductive.