1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tonsillitis

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by SamAlex728, Sep 15, 2008.

1. SamAlex728

Gah! I have tonsillitis. I've had it several times, but the doctors usually go around it by saying 'inflammation' instead of 'tonsillitis' so we don't really think about it. But I've had these exact symptoms way too many times, it made me realize that it is recurrent. And I've been coughing so much and it feels like I've got daggers in my throat. Surgery scares the hell outta me, but I'm tired of this happening. I only have a note for school through tomorrow, so I'll most likely have to go back tomorrow night to get another note, since there is no way in hell I'll be better. But I just want this to stop and nothing is helping, so I'm starting to see surgery as an option. My parents will probably think I'm blowing this way out of proportion, but the pain is killing me. I just wonder what the doctor will think......

Thoughts please, especially from Kara and people who have gone through this.

#1 SamAlex728, Sep 15, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  2. KaraBulut

If you are having recurrent bouts of tonsillitis, then tonsillectomy is an option. The surgery gets more complicated with age, so it is better to have them out before adulthood.

The surgery is done under general anesthetic. Like most surgeries, the first 48 hours are the worst in terms of discomfort. The sore throat will persist for a week, sometimes as long as two weeks. During the first week, you will only be able to eat liquids and you will be instructed not to talk. It will take about 2-4 weeks for you to resume normal activities and for the soreness to completely go away.

3. SamAlex728

Well, how long will it keep me out of school? Currently, I can't go to school because it hurts so much I can barely function, and the drugs they have me on aren't exactly something you take while in school (pseudoephedrine and the cough syrup with codeine that tastes horrid). Oh, and some antibiotics. This is hell.......

4. Corny

Corny Guest

A friend of mine who got this tonsils removed should have stayed out of school for 3 weeks. His doctor having kids himself, scheduled the surgery one week before the school holidays. My friend hated him for that, his mother loved him :wink:

5. SamAlex728

Well, school just started, so I'm set :slight_smile:

6. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've gone through two years of constant tonsilitis and was close to having my tonsils out, but I just spent two weeks resting and doing nothing and now I feel PERFECT! XD

7. Jim1454

I had them out when I was 6 years old... so I can't really comment on how it will be for someone that is 13. Good luck though - it doesn't sound like you're having a very good time of it!

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    My niece just had them out and she's 17. The first couple of days were rough but after that she was fine. As long as you take your pain medication and do what you are supposed to, it shouldn't be too bad and you will feel so much better in the long run!

9. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was 14, I had tonsillitis 14 times in one year. They gave me this oral vaccine which decreased the frequency to twice a year or so. It's still my weak spot but as KaraBulut said I'm too old to have them taken out now.

10. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I suffered from tonsillitis a lot when I was a kid. Every cold went to my tonsils, and I got three or four of them each year. There was talk of me having my tonsils removed but it seemed to happen less as I got older and by the time I was in my early teens it was no longer a significant problem.

Back then there seemed to be a reluctance to do surgery unless it was really necessary. I don't know what the approach now is or how it varies between countries.

11. SamAlex728

Mom agrees I need to have them removed, so I'm going to the doctor tomorrow.

12. Corny

Corny Guest

Since experts today still don't fully understand the tonsils role in the immune system, they are still reluctant on removing them if not necessary.
    There have been studies which showed that removing them has no impact on your genera health, but also studies showing the opposite. I am not sure which ones have a prevalence though.

13. SamAlex728

I just read last night that even though they do play a small role in the immune system, but if you have recurrent tonsillitis, it will do much more harm than good leaving them in.

14. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Yes, that seems logical.

15. SamAlex728

In about 4 hours, I have an appointment with the GP, which is a prick and doesn't do shit about anything. I just need him to refer me to an otolaryngologist. I just hope I can stay awake until after my appointment. I've been up all night because of my damn tonsils hurting and the damn coughing fits.

I just want to scream! But even talking hurts.

16. SamAlex728

K, when I went to the GP, and he did the same thing as usual, told me that I'm much better, nothing to worry about, blah, blah, blah, when I really wasn't. I have an appointment with the otolaryngologist tomorrow. I will tell them that I've had these problems way too many times, and I'm sick of it (literally and figuratively) and I want surgery as soon as possible.

You see, from being sick, I've missed enough days of school in a row that I'm no longer enrolled, and if I re-enrolled then had the surgery, I would have to re-enroll again, which I can only do once a year, so I'm out of school until I'm done recovering from surgery (which I will be very persistent to get). And by being un-enrolled, I don't have to make up the homework, however I will stay caught up in Algebra so I'm not completely confused.

17. SamAlex728

Okay, it only took him about 30 seconds to agree that the surgery is needed. I'm having a tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy on Tuesday, October 7th. I need to take Amoxicillin as a precaution for 12 days, 5 before, 7 after. I have the prescription for the Amoxicillin and the pain killers today. The only bad part is that I need to be at the hospital no later than 6:30am on Tuesday. Well, that's pretty much it!