1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Physical Fitness For Job

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Anthemic, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I was interviewed for a city job as a laborer (mail room) and was deemed qualified for the job. I was then called to a fitness center to participate in a physical fitness test a few days ago. (Don't ask me why this is a requirement to work in a mail room.) The requirements are: Lift 67% of your body weight; Carry 50 pounds 10 feet and back; Do 25 sit-ups in 1 minute; Run 1 mile in 12 minutes. Unfortunately, I failed the test because I was only able to do 23/25 sit-ups and ran the mile in 15 minutes. I'm obviously out of shape and have asthma. They are willing to help me train for 3-6 weeks, 3 times a week for an hour each time in order to qualify for the job; so basically 9-18 hours spread out. I know I'll be able to do the sit-ups. But my question is, in the time until I'm retested, is it possible to be able to run the mile in 12 minutes if I train as much as they suggest?

2. Yosia

You were only 3 minutes behind, so it is really possible, train and actually keep trying to do it yourself so you can see how much you are progressing. ^.^

3. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    True. I figured it might be possible since I was only 3 minutes behind. I was shocked I did as well as I did considering it was 92 degrees, I have asthma, and I'm out of shape. XD Thanks for the reply!

4. Yosia

Also while youre training it will benefit you health-wise! ^.^

5. 741852963

Absa-:***:-lutely. :lol:

There are a whole lot of 7-9 week programmes out there, usually in the form of podcasts or MP3 files and many free or cheap on Itunes designed to get someone from doing no exercise to running either for 30minutes or 5kilometers. Search along the lines of "0-5K" or "Couch to 5K"

If you follow the programmes for the 3-6 weeks you say you have available you will almost certainly be able to run 1-2miles in total, and definitely within 12 minute pace if you are just running the one mile, probably faster.

6. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

Fitness test?? I've never heard of that before, pretty cool though.

And 67% of you're body weight?? I think that might be too much.. I would need to lift around 35Kg!!

7. Hel

Hel

I confirm. These programs are good to get fit in a limited time frame. Plus, you can stick with it even after you succeed your fitness test.

8. It's pretty easy to run a mile within 12 minutes, even for those that are out of shape. Since you're going to be training as well, I'm sure you can do this.

You can also do some training on days they're not helping you. Morning jogs aren't too bad of an idea.

9. photoguy93

Look at it this way - they are willing to train you, for free, right? Use it!

I've often worried that some job will try to do the same with me. Lifting might be possible, but running a mile? Ha! I'd fail..... So if you're close, take their offer!

10. Carlgustav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It sounds doable. But I would first check with my doctor if I had a condition such as asthma. Perhaps you could even get a waiver on the run test, if running isn't a part of the job, which it probably isn't.

11. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When I was in 6th grade I ran the mile in 10:00 and when I started cross country training in 7th grade my time jumped down to 6:30. I have asthma, too. Granted, it's harder to improve as you get older, but the slower the time, the easier it is to improve it. You can do it if you train right.

12. kem

kem

If you finished in 15 minutes now, don't worry; in 3—6 weeks and with a trainer, you'll probably run a mile in 9.

When I first began running, I ran 3km in just under a half-hour, and in just 2 weeks I could run 5K in the same amount of time. I'm not sure how much asthma would effect your performance, but there are some studies that link aerobic exercise to improved inflammation levels in asthmatic patients so idk?

13. Candace

I mean, they are giving you 3-6 weeks to train, but you have asthma. There's a point where they have to not make you do so much.

14. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A 12 minute mile should be a cinch; that's only 5 miles per hour average.

15. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I appreciate all the responses! Back in high school I remember my time was 9:43 minutes for the mile run and I was able to do 41 sit-ups in a minute. After I graduated, my asthma got worse and I stopped being as active. I guess I have a lot of work to do, but it's definitely worth it! :slight_smile:
    I agree, but they probably won't care. I may mention it to my trainer on Tuesday (my first day of training).