1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For any MTF who have transtioned

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Otaku2014, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Otaku2014

What does the therapy consist of, what happens with your voice, what is the price, and how long does it take, i am an untranstioned transgender female

2. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not done with my transition, but I can answer those questions.

Therapy in my case consisted of them following the WPATH Standards of Care version 7. Basically you must have known you're a woman for sure for at least 2 years, they will go through your entire life very thoroughly. Invasive questions are aplenty. :dry:

You can read the entire SoC 7 here: http://www.thisishow.org/Files/soc7.pdf

Nothing happens to your voice at all, you will have to work on that yourself. This is the most tedious part of the process in my opinion. For most it takes 6 months of practice every day to get it right, you need to start using it too at some point to really get the hang of it.

The price differs a lot, depending on what you want. If you shop wisely the hormones aren't very expensive, even if you're not insured at all. Check Prices, Coupons and Information - GoodRx to find cheap Estradiol and Spironolactone with GoodRx coupons, and you won't have to spend more than $25 a month if you buy generics.

If you want to get SRS (sex reassignment surgery) eventually, that's going to cost you a fair bit more. We're talking tens of thousands of dollars expensive. Some employers (like Google and HP, for example) have insurance that covers this.

If you think you need FFS (facial feminization surgery), it depends on what you want changed but will probably be anywhere from $5,000 to $30,000. Some employers' insurance covers this as well.

As for how long it takes. Scroll down to "Expected effects of feminizing hormone therapies" on this page: Transgender Health Information Program | Feminizing Hormones

3. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends ...

There are standards of care as mentioned. The price of surgery varies depending on who is doing it. Probably one of the hardest parts is actually electrolysis. I found that to be the hardest part for me. That was also more painful than the surgery. Your voice does not change very much. I was lucky in that regard and did not really have alter my pitch. I also have a very slight frame just like my mother's so that was not a problem. Your underlying body shape will not change. That means if you have broad shoulders that's just the way it's going to be.