1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heterophobia?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by yugyag, Sep 19, 2014.

1. yugyag

yugyag Guest

I'm gay, so of course I'm not attracted to girls, but it goes a little further than that for me. In fact, when I am around girls in anything but a professional or strictly friendly setting I feel uncomfortable and almost sick to my stomach. Any mention of girls in a sexual way by anyone makes me even more uncomfortable, and I usually end up leaving the room. Furthermore, when I start becoming fairly good friends with a straight guy, if he begins to express interest in women I start to feel odd around him.

I am fine with having girls as friends of course, but only as long as we don't talk about anything really intensely relationship-like. Some weird stuff happened between me and this girl when I was very young, and I think that might have something to do with it, but I really don't know. Am I heterophobic? Is that even a thing, and how do I make myself feel more uncomfortable around straight relationships.

I'm starting to distance myself from one of my best friends because he has begun going on dates and stuff with girls. I don't want to lose him completely, but now whenever I'm around him I think about him dating women and I feel extremely out of place, and uncomfortable. Does anyone have advice on how to make myself less uncomfortable around straight relationships?

---------- Post added 19th Sep 2014 at 06:43 PM ----------

Oops, I didn't realize I was posting this to Physical and Sexual Health, I'll post it to a more appropriate forum in a moment.

2. gutsrie

I had a friend like this. He was around so many gay people that straight seemed weird to him. Maybe it's because you feel out of place is why you are feeling uncomfortable?

In the end, ask yourself; Can you ask someone to accept you for who you are when you can't accept others for who they are? Don't be this person. :slight_smile:

3. soulcatcher

I guess that you are heterophic to some extent, but at least you don't hate heterosexuals.