1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Night owls and hormons

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Michael, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    As a kid I used to have a perfect sleep : I went to bed early, woke up early and had very few nightmares (can't even remember a single childhood nightmare).

This changed when I hit my teenager years, and started to spend the whole night reading, writing, listening to music,etc... I guess I became an 'owl'.

Recently I had a struggle with myself to stop my nocturnal way of life, and I won this struggle so easily I couldn't believe it. This lasted until I had my period. I couldn't sleep the night before, I just could not, I felt uneasy, nervous... You name it. None of the 'old' tricks worked (food, glas of milk, trying to control my breathing, etc). The consequence is that the sleep pattern was out of order again.

Could it be that the whole insomnia and 'being an owl' is simply because of the effect that the hormons have on me? Do transmen sleep better since they are on T? Is this all just a bunch of nonsense? Do you have any tricks to keep the effects of the monthly hormonal storm under control? :icon_sad:

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  3. Blossom85

Wow, that article was actually very helpful for myself.. I do find myself falling into that pattern where I can't sleep and wake every couple of hours or just don't get into a deep sleep and wake at every little sound, I had no idea that insomnia could be linked to when you get your period.. I may need to keep a diary and look into that more myself as well. It just goes to show that with someone else's question, the answers or advice might be helpful to more then one person, which is why I love this place so much.

4. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hope this is not too graphic...
    another remedy might simply be having an orgasm... quite a few women say they are hot before and during their periods, and the contractions from orgasms help them... it also releases transmitter substances which affect the mood and might make sleepy...

5. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

so if i have had perpetually fucked up hormones (irregular periods) since puberty, if i were to be treated for that i may be less of a night owl/insomniac??! worth trying anyway right?

6. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You might have a look at this:
    The Facts About Irregular Periods

You could see a doctor or gyn about this, discussing all possible causes...

#6 jay777, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  7. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for the article, jay777, you really know your stuff. One doctor told me that my theory was wishful thinking (he also told me you only need to sleep 3-4 hours a day...)

No, not too graphic, don't worry :lol:
    Yes, I knew that trick, but doesn't always work.

From the article...

... That puts her in a disadvantage with male coworkers. Just imagine that she is not around the office, and the male coworker takes the call and gets the client before she does.

I'll try the tips there, any excuse is good to exercise and drink a bit less :icon_wink ... I'll call my mother in a few days and ask her if she sleeps better since she doesn't have to endure this, hopefully she won't be offended or upset by my question...

8. Yosia

Us nocturnals will win natural selection. ^^

9. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

i probably should but i'm scared it's PCOS and the screening for all the stuff is terrifying to me