1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lets talk weight

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by arkangel, Sep 21, 2014.

1. arkangel

So, as a 6'5" tall male, I have weighed roughly 270 pounds for a good chunk of my past few years. The only thing is I hate my size, and my gut. Ive tried dieitng, shakes, and things like that but they never work. I cant really run much due to my minor asthma. I have actually changed my diet a LOT since ive started my new "diet" for lack of a better word. I havnt had actual soda for 2 or 3 months, maybe a diet one here and there. No mcdonalds or kfc or the like, i have had some fast food, but i portion myself to only eating it maybe once or twice a week. Pizza is still great so who can avoid that. I eat lots of apples and bananas, canalope and strawberries, grapes too, and most importantly, i drink a LOT of water. Lots of it. In the past 3 months I am down to 254, and I am quite proud of myself. My size 38 pants now need a belt, but now, the questions...
    What can I do to start really burning calories. I cant run much without my lungs burning, and I have no access to a pool or gym. Ive been curious to know if busting out my old bike would be efficient. Would daily biking around the neighborhood, getting the heart rate up and being able to coast to get it down, is it a strong form of calorie burn/exercise?

2. Yosia

If you truly want to lose weight quickly then you need to cut out the fast food and pizza altogether. And biking is quite good exercise but also martial arts is good.

3. arkangel

Well like i said, pizza and fast food maybe once a week, not each, just in total. I just hope 20 pounds in 2 months from lots of calorie cutting isnt unhealthy bad.

4. Richie.

I'd aim for 1-2 a week sure the first week will likely show more but on average 1-2 a week.

Slimming world is good

5. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've weighed more than I care to mention, and I'm almost down to a normal BMI now. You should definitely not be overly restrictive with your diet, and you don't need to cut out soda and pizza altogether. You need to change your lifestyle, not go on a diet, so change it in a way that you can live with for the rest of your life. I went on a hundred diets (everything from Atkin's to the Grapefruit diet) and they worked for a short amount of time, then I shot right back up because I couldn't obviously go on for a few years with something that restrictive. I instead changed my lifestyle and decided I'd eat all the damn pizza or soda or whatever I want, but also take responsibility for it. Pizza is a reward for doing something really good, it's not for whenever I feel like it. If I end up eating more than I would've liked, I'll opt to use the bike instead of the car for a few days. This is something I can easily keep doing for the rest of my life, and has worked wonders. I don't feel like I'm on a diet, I feel like my weight is coming off without doing anything really special or working my butt off.

20 pounds in 2 months isn't unhealthy when you start losing weight for someone your size. I'd say about 10 of those pounds were water weight that typically drops off once you start eating healthier and exercising, and the other 10 pounds would be fat and muscle loss. The weight loss will stabilize to about 2 pounds per week once you've lost the first crazy pounds. You'll be down to 220 lbs (right in the middle of your healthy BMI) in less than 6 months if you keep at it, but you can't allow yourself to eat more bad food once you're there. You need to maintain for the rest of your life. That sounds like a bad thing, but being someone who gains weight easily means your body will let you know when you're giving it unhealthy food. Also, if a zombie apocalypse comes our bodies are better at surviving on minimal amounts of food. :lol:

If you only have mild asthma and you would prefer running, you could look up the C25K as a program you may be able to do. I could barely run for 60 seconds when I started, but in only 9 weeks it has you running for 30 minutes and it actually works. It's even quite addictive, and this is coming from someone who HATED running all her life. Look into this if you want to give running a shot, there are free apps for it too for Android and iPhone. The first day absolutely killed my lungs and legs, haha, but it got easier after that. :grin:

If you would prefer biking to running, it's also a great source of exercise and it's real fun going fast. Neither is definitely better than the other, it really depends on which one you prefer and what you want out of it. Cycling isn't as effective time-wise, but if you're not short on time it can be a lot more fun if you're into going fast. If you have forests near where you live, it's really awesome going super fast in the forest with trees whizzing by real close. You should get a helmet if you're going to do that, there's actual risk of serious injury and even death, which makes it all that much more exciting of course.

This is a pretty good comparison of cycling vs. running:
    Cycling vs. Running

You sound like you know what you're doing food-wise. :slight_smile: Lots of water and raw foods to fill your stomach, so you don't eat too much junk. Good job so far! You're doing great and you have every right to be proud of yourself! (*hug*)

6. June Cleaver

Yes! cut down on processed foods as they are loaded with carbohydrates which just make you hungry faster and crave more,like pizza has little nutritional value. a good dinner for your needs 8-10oz steak rare, baked potato with real butter not any fake stuff,salad with reasonable dressing like ranch not too much,steamed vegetables like brussel sprouts, carrots, broccoli, ,etc not overcooked! reasonable bread and tea if sweetened use cane sugar moderately. no diet food,no crazy diets,and eating as much fresh meats and vegetables, bakery bread,not wonder! it's the factory foods you should avoid most! that fast food too! not fatty traditional bacon and four eggs either,think reasonably! after several weeks off fake food feed your cravings for fresh food as your body will ask for what it needs. also NEVER drink much with food, 30min before or after either. when I say tea with the meal I mean 6 oz at most.when you say 6'5"270# I think to myself my kind of man, my type for sure if you were my age bracket. I say that because be happy with your body as you will not be dating yourself and a guy your type just might just like your natural body.... my sister hit 300#after giving birth to my first child and spent 5 years in a Dr' s care loosening to a size 7 and skin removal breast reduction, the works destroying her healthy body including killing her thyroid gland permanent to go clubbing to realize she now looks like 90%of the other women and got way more attention big! she was so mad she did not listen to me when I told her to own it and enjoy life! by being special sized man makes you desirable! being 6' woman without shoes means my man must be 6'2" for me not to loom over him awkwardly! Michael had a 38" waste which for his wide frame was perfect! June

7. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with June, processed foods are very bad for you. Soda is also extremely bad for your health, but it can be overwhelming to change your entire diet over night, which can cause you to give up on everything instead of focusing on one thing at a time. Diet soda is also worse for your health than normal soda, and causes you to crave food because of increased insulin. Your body basically expects sugar, gets a sweetener instead, and starts asking for real sugar because it gets confused.

I also agree that you should use real butter instead of whatever else you might use, if you're someone who uses butter at all. Same goes for everything else, if you can find a natural product and one that is made in a factory and marketed as extremely healthy in comparison, I can almost guarantee the "healthy" factory version is a lot worse for your health. Fat free products, for example, have replaced the fat with sugar usually to keep it tasty, but they don't mention that on the label.

Basically, opt for natural things and take it slow, there's no need to change your entire life over night if that's not your thing. If you change one thing, that's one thing less you have to worry about and they add up. If you slip up, don't beat yourself up over it. It already happened, so accept it and get back on track. Don't fall for the "oh well, already f:***:ed up so might as well have some more" excuse. :slight_smile:

8. June Cleaver

I love that excuse you posted! I am not suggesting any "diet" at all,screw counting this or that, eat as fresh as possible and reasonable portions cutting pre made foods, want sweets and don't have a experienced housewives at home like me baking homemade deserts , go to the bakery.as a mother I had to know how to keep my husband healthy for work and my children with proper nutrition for their growing bodies. Sure I made lots of chocolate chip cookies,but mine are not full of preservatives like Chips Ahoy! June

9. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't agree with the idea of cutting out anything altogether as you're more likely to experience intense cravings that will lead to a binge. Allow yourself a pizza or some other treat once a week, but go small with it. No super size portions or extra's.

I notice that you are eating lots of fruit, but I'd actually recommend more vegetables than fruit. I'm afraid fruit still contains natural sugars. If you eat lots of bread, that can also contribute to weight.

Are you still eating three full meals per day? If so, try to change to six small meals per day with drinks of water and avoid eating after 6pm. Eating little and often accelerates the fat burning process.

Cycling will certainly burn off calories, but a brisk walk will also do the trick. Have you considered rope skipping? I use a rope most days and it helps keep my weight down (I've recently begun to increase the amount of skipping I do to lose a few extra pounds).

Good luck with the weight loss.

10. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Linco! I have some additional thoughts.

You should really do as Linco said. When you don't do this, your body gets used to the new eating habit (eating less) and you will slim at a slower rate. A treat once a week is a "trick" various sporters use, it's called a "cheat day".

I want to add that you might want to look for other fruits. Cranberries are very good, and type of fruit with less sugar will do the trick. Pay close attention to high sugar bananas, you may want to avoid them.

This all being sad, I want to add that you need to eat various things. You'll keep your system entertained in this way, and you will likely not miss vital components.

11. 143kc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My diet isn't always the best, but I run 40 + miles per week, so that is how I stay slim. I have moderate asthma as well, and my inhaler is a life saver.. you should look into getting one if you don't already have one. Running isn't the only type of exercise; you can also lift weights, bike, swim, and walk. In my situation with running, I find it to be easier the more you do it. Maybe start out moderately (walk 2 mins run 1 min for 30 mins) and try to build up. Just get your heart pumping!

12. Nimun

Yeah definitely stop eating fast food all together. Try to only eat lean meats like chicken or fish. Try to cut down on the fruit because it can make you gain weight, especially carby ones like bananas. Try to incorporate more leafy greens. Only drink low fat dairy or cut it out completely. When I was trying to lose weight I would have fruit salad with fat free yogurt for breakfast, and lean meat with veggies for lunch and dinner. I don't eat meat anymore which has helped a bunch (I'm not asking you to though. Eat whatever you want), but this is what I used to eat and I lost roughly 1-3 pounds a week. Also keep up the water drinking.

13. Really

Just to add.. See if you can get easy recipes to make homemade versions of the "junk" food you like. Pizza is easy to make. And fabulous tasting when freshly baked. Anything you make yourself has to be healthier than commercially made stuff.
    I second the C25k running program. It ends with about a 5k distance but these days I'm averaging 6.5-7k with an 8k thrown in every once in a while. I can't run this week because of a medical thing and I'm actually unhappy about it. Go figure!

14. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My question is what's wrong with what you are doing now? I mean seriously you have lost 16 pounds in 12 weeks. That is healthy weight loss. Unless you are huge (6' 5' 270 isn't) losing more than 2-3 pounds a week can be unhealthy because that means you are practically starving yourself. Personally I'd keep doing what you are doing if weight loss is your only goal.

I'm not saying exercise isn't a good thing just saying that what you're doing now is working. BTW what is weight loss goal? At 6' 5" , 250lbs isn't really that big. Hell I'd imagine that you look fine now.

15. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have fast food once a week. Allowing yourself that one treat isn't going to have any detrimental impacts on your weight or health. Starving yourself of foods that you enjoy will only serve to make you miserable.

16. arkangel

Going to see how many of you i can reply to all at once...

Well I really am not a butter person, so blech.
    I also love pomegranites, carrots, lettuce and corn.
    I do carry an inhaler.
    Im lactose intolerant so milk isnt a problem.
    I eat 2 strongish meals a day with light snacking on fresh fruits through the day.
    I only shop (with parents) at whole foods, i love it there.
    I love my meats. Steak is just to die for for me.
    The only fast food i have really eaten these past 3 ish months includes Canes chicken once... Chipotle a few times, subway quite a bit, but thats it. Mcdonalds, wendys. Bk, make me sick in the stomach.
    Chicken is also one of my favorites.I will admit to chikfila once in a while.
    Drinking lots of water and tea, a few juices, orange and grape occasionally.
    Will look into that c25* thing as well!

17. ERA

ERA

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A few years ago, I lost 80lbs over two years. I did it with the traditional diet and exercise. I don't have asthma, but I do hate running. If you see me running, there is probably a Tyrannosaurus behind me! What I did instead was walk. I got to the point where I was walking 5 miles every day. Biking would also work if you would rather do that. It's just a matter of moving your body around.

18. arkangel

So i heard about this fruit on the dr. Oz show called garcinia cambogia that is miracle weight loss fruit. Anyone heard of it or have any thoughts?

19. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

if it worked we would have heard about it lol

20. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian