1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does BMI directly correlate with health?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Batman, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So. I recently used a BMI calculator. (BMI Calculator | Math Easy Solutions) I got this as a result:

You are underweight.
    To obtain a normal body weight, you must gain between 9.44 and 45.57 pounds.

Questions: Is BMI representative of health or just weight in comparison to average? Can you be underweight or overweight and healthy? (Would gaining between 9.44 and 45.57 pounds improve my health?)

2. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    BMI is a general guideline. Back in their prime Arnold Schwarzenegger and Silvestre Stalone would have had a BMI that would have been off the charts on the overweight side. Would you argue that they aren't healthy?

3. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No man don't worry about that I'm currently bmi 18 so I'm skinny but whatever it's a lot healthier than being fat. Technically I'm not normal either and there are actually a lot of skinny younger people out there.

4. black-cat

BMI is a guideline, and like Redneck said, many people tip the scales either over or under and are perfectly healthy. Try not to worry about it!

5. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One thing in particular that BMI doesn't take into account (being a general guideline) is whether your weight/height ratio is due to weight from fat or weight from muscle, for example. So no, it's not an absolute indicator of health.

However, it tends to run on the light side (i.e., privileging lower weights per height), and 16.8 is pretty low. If you're not 18 yet, it may be skewed (the scale is made for full grown adults), but if you think this is concerning, in line with whatever other information you have about your weight/height/general health, it might be worth talking to a doctor at some point.

6. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Moreover, the BMI does also not take into account your 'roots', so to say. For instance, people of certain races usually score lower on the BMI scale, that is common. The BMI is a rough guideline. =]

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As with most complex systems (human bodies included) a single magical number is going to have to come with several qualifiers and caveats.

Nevertheless this article which came out last year notes that there is a link between being slightly overweight and longevity.

Much more needs to be learned about all this, but fretting over a few extra pounds appears to be unnecessary if longevity is the only factor you are concerned about. Quality of life is another matter (nuances, nuances...)

8. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    this i have a friend who is 5'2" and 185 pounds. on the face of that obese is the term that comes to mind. however he is a weight lifter/body builder and if you see him without a shirt you see no fat. to bad he's straight:icon_wink he looks even better in those little shorts he wears to the pose offs for body building.:eusa_danc

9. Swimmerboy

A BMI over 30lbs has a strong correlation with the rise of many diseases. The effects of being overweight are well documented and well researched. That said, like Rednck mentioned, BMI throws muscle mass to the wind. Ultimately Issues with health need to be determined by a medical professional.

Being underweight (as you are for your height) may be signs of a lack of bone density, improper diet, and poor musculoskeletal development. You need to evaluate your diet, and activity level to make sure you are getting proper impact and nutrition for bone density and muscle growth.

Its not the number that matters, its the cause of the number. If you are over weight because of high muscle mass, then the warnings of having a high BMI may not apply to you. Someone who is overweight due to stored fat will have to look at long term health issues.

In your case, you are a little too underweight. This cant be explained by too much muscle. Its most likely a negative factor.

---------- Post added 25th Sep 2014 at 01:41 AM ----------

Also I know everyone is trying to make the OP feel better, but his case is not overweight, its underweight, and most of what has been said doesn't apply to the OP. 16 is really low, and should cause some health issues. Being underweight is dangerous. It has been shown to have negative impact on hormone function, thought process, and musculosketal development and function.