1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I have an eating disorder?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by MtnFr3sh, Oct 3, 2014.

1. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's something that's always been this way. I was a chubby baby, but when I started walking, it all melted away and I've been scrawny ever since.

I've always been told it's my metabolism, and I inherited it from my mother, who WAS about my size when she was my age. But, throughout the years, jokes were made, I was called anorexic, and I never believed it. I never even considered it being even possible until my mom kept telling my needed to eat more, and that I'm too skinny. I've noticed now more than not, that I can see my ribcage, my wrists are so skinny I can see the the bone (not literally)

And, just the other day, I was starving. And I stopped before breakfast before going to my college class. And I picked up a breakfast sandwich I finnished with only one bite left and I was still hungry, I was about to take a bite then I thought "Oh god... I'm a pig" eating it all. Then it hit me, maybe they're right. Maybe I am too skinny at my own fault. If so, I think I might know why...

When my mom was young, she was always told by her overweight mother that my mom, who was less than 100lbs her Junior year, that she was too fat. And my grandmother never acknowledged it. Then, after my mom got sick with lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, and some other things, she had to start taking steroids. Which made her gain weight, now, by some standards, she's overweight. And always calls herself fat, especially when she eats more of her food than I do. And when she finishes her food and has leftovers.

And, well, about my eating habits. I can tell they're way below normal standards. I'll feel hungry, but just don't feel like eating. Then, one minute, I'm starving. And ten minutes later, I feel fine. It doesn't exactly help that our food in the school cafeteria is absolute :***:, seriously... it was decent last year, now they're just cheap. Shorting everybody on some food. And at elementary schools, only supplying about 1/3 of what's needed for everybody in the classroom for snack time.

Anyway... does it sound like I may have an eating disorder... It's not an "I don't want to eat even though I'm so hungry" It's an "I can hear my stomach growling but I don't feel hungry"

Um, if so, what kind of, you know, might this be? Thanks... Any help is appreciated.

2. LD579

This might not be what you want to hear, but if you think you do have an eating disorder, the best thing to do would be to talk to a professional or doctor offline in-person so that you can get an official answer and help in dealing with your appetite issues. None of us are qualified to diagnose anything, and even if we were, there are inherent issues with online diagnoses.

With that said, I'm sure lots of people on EC have had or do have eating disorders and could share their experiences with dealing with them.

3. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I understand... And that doesn't really help. I at least want one maybe two opinions before I ask a doctor... Besides, I'm not supposed to see a doctor for at least a month...

4. GayTeen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First off, I also just don't desire to eat much. It's not like I'm forcing myself to starve, it's just habit. Which is why it took me so long to aknowledge that I have anorexia. I'm in awful health and am losing wieght constantly.

Unfortunately, yes, I do believe you have and ED. Everyone deals with it in different ways, I gues that with us, it just took a while to find out.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

5. MisterTinkles

No, you dont have an eating disorder........but there is something going on with your metabolism.

You need to see a doctor who specializes in metabolism.

From what little I have read about people with high metabolism, they get susceptible to many conditions later in life, as your mother did. That doesn't mean you are going to have problems, but you need to see a doctor just to find out if there IS something going wacky with your metabolism.

It could be you NEED to eat more, or it could be you need to eat specific foods.

In order to keep your metabolism at a steady rate, you should eat a small bit of something every 30 minutes to an hour. Something like nuts, seeds, bread, or something starchy that will last long enough until you can get the next snack.

Keeping something in your stomach every hour or so will help steady your metabolism until you get to a doctor.....who will probably tell you to do that anyway.

I would suggest foods such as these (for snacking until you can eat a regular meal), until you can see a doctor and find out what it what, and what to eat..............these foods will help keep you going without feeling too drained, and give you energy in a longer lasting period of time.....

Hard boiled eggs
    Bacon
    PB&J sandwich
    Peanut Butter and crackers
    Fruit
    Nuts, seeds, and grains
    Bread such as pumpernickel or rye

Drinks:

Fruit juice
    Milk or milk substitute (almond milk, soy milk)
    Gatorade or something like it
    DONT drink those "energy" drinks...they are bad for you....maybe one a week is ok.
    Lots of water/flavored water/fizzy water-fruit juice

See a doctor though. If you are in college, you should be able to find one through the college medical office for cheap or for free.

6. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Luthan, the best option is to talk to a professional.

7. SpaceSuit

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like several others have said, it's always best to get a professional opinion in this type of situation.

8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How often do you think about food? And in what way?

And second, can you stop those habits for at least a week? It took me months into when my eating disorder started to realise that I actually had no control over it. Fortunately I'm recovered, but "oh, God, I'm a pig" is a huge warning sign, and please take heed of it. I used that exact phrase so often.

If it's an eating disorder, and it sounds like it is one, your best hope is to get help immediately.

9. Solveig

Out Status:
    Some people
    I highly recommend you to see a professional.
    I'm not an expert, but for me it sounds like you have a serious problem with your eating habits and your relationship to food and your body maybe, too...
    Anorexia cannot be just summed up with "I feel fat and want to look like a model, so I stop eating", Anorexia and other eating disorders come in many different forms and are different for everyone. In many cases, the affected people don't really have a problem with their body in the first place, but other big, repressed issues that unconsciously get projected onto their body.
    Do you feel like you're kind of "obsessed" with eating, diets, your body, cooking, everything that has to do with food, eating and gaining or losing weight? That could be a significant sign for example.
    But then again, I'm not an expert and you probably should go to a professional with this!! All the best :3

10. Kaylen

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would say it is your metabolism, just like those above me. I suggest you to see a doctor about it.

Eating disorders are characterized by an almost obsessive relationship with food.