1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pulled Muscle

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Steam Giant, May 3, 2007.

1. Steam Giant

About how long does it take to recover from a pulled muscle? I started to feel pain on 4/13, but had actually pulled it about two weeks prior to that. It was a chest muscle. The pain is dying down, but it's definately still there, and it's difficult to sleep at night, even with a heating pad and medicine (2 advil and 2 tylonol, as advised by family doctor). Thanks ^^

2. Jim1454

I've never had that problem, but it seems to me that chest muscles are some of the most difficult to heal, because you're always using them. I don't think there is anything to be concerned about yet - but I wouldn't consider myself an expert.

3. Kimi

If it's slight pulled muscle then it'll take 2 or 3 weeks to heal. But since it's a chest muscle maybe you are looking at 3 or 4 weeks. But it's been more than month maybe you should go to doctor again and ask him/her about it. It might be a bad pulled muscle or it might be worse than that. I'm not trying to threaten you or anything but you'll never be too careful when it comes about crossing the road and health(*hug*)

4. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i hope you will be better soon steamgiant. you had a bad time like me i think! when i got hit by the car my whole body felt bad like all the muscles were pulled at once! i can sleep good now at night so i hope you will be good again soon.

5. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Could take up to 8 weeks to finally heal. You use your chest muscles a lot with much of the movement of your arms and the activity can keep the irritation going. Another thing could be a pulling apart of the rib at the sterno margin, where it connects to the sternum of the chest. If that has happened, the cartilage (same stuff making up the ears and tip of the nose) is broken and can take months to heal. Poor blood supply and an area of being a fulcrum where the forces come together and help product the lift needed. Will make the area pop out again and again, delaying healing for a prolonged period of time.

Taking of anti inflammatory meds will help (Tylenol, Aspirin, IB) but decreasing irritation is most important. Anytime you feel a twinge of pain or discomfort, stop what you are doing and get help or don't do it. Normally again, takes about 8 weeks to heal, but can go on for months more if not cared for. Heat and cold can help, 20 minutes of heat, 20 minutes of cold. Repeat as needed up to four times a day.

Good luck. But for sure if not improving, see a doc for a work up.

6. Steam Giant

Wow, thanks JayHew! I wish my family doctor had told me all that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Thank you very much! This will help a ton ^^