1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deepening Depression

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by SpaceSuit, Oct 11, 2014.

1. SpaceSuit

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, my depression goes through like dips and hills. Very roller coaster-ish. Right now I'm starting to get deepening depression. Last time this happened was around Christmas last year and it lasted nearly 3 months. For that whole time it took all the energy I had just to stand or sit or walk. Sometimes I'd just freeze for fifteen - thirty minutes because I didn't have the energy or will power to keep moving. I'm at the end of my last semester and I NEED to pass these classes so I am terrified of that level of depression coming on at a time like this. I really hate depression.

2. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depression is a terrible illness that sucks the life out of you. I think some people fail to understand how life limiting it is. (*hug*)

Forgive me for asking what may seem an obvious question, but are you getting any support with this SpaceSuit? Therapy? Medication?

3. SpaceSuit

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am currently in therapy and I'm on several medications. For the most part I'm usually okay, but when the depression goes bad, it goes really bad. I have managable depression the rest of the time where it is a struggle, but I can still accomplish things. When my depression gets deeper then it is hard to just do anything. Moving takes all the energy I have and just getting out of bed can take hours. :frowning2:. It is true that most people when they find out I have depression...they think it means I'm "sad" sometimes and they have no idea how much it truly affects me.

4. SpaceSuit

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    UPDATE: I've found that talking through my issues here on the forum is so helpful and has been helping me feel less depressed. AWESOME. :grin:

5. Della

Awww Space suit *hugs* Mine is similar like a roller coaster ride too. I just let myself do nothing productive or obsess over something for days. I'm supposed to be taking medication but I feel is still roller coaster(a not fun one) regardless, I use to distract myself by writing blogs or chapters on wattpad<3 or chat rooms but no one interesting goes on anymore urgh. I saw a psychologist before but I didnt like she acted like she didnt give a shit when what we need are dedicated individuals who care about the well being of others (or at least are good at pretending to) and this includes surrounding ourselves with good friends once in a while.

I dont know how this site works i just joined but can we send pvt messages? if so then feel free to msg me if you ever need an online friend.

6. SpaceSuit

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Della, thank you. <3. Distracting myself seems to be the thing that works the best for me too.

7. Sek

Sek

You've already made your first step on the path to shaking depression: opening up! The EC forum is a great place to do that. :slight_smile:

I really identify with how you feel since I had crippling depression (which I kept to myself) due to pressure to succeed at school.. I wish I didn't keep it in because for about a year I suffered in silence and as a result I failed a year of school.

If you find the root of your depression, discussing it will really help. It sounds to me like you've got some anxiety since you're scared that depression will make you fail. Sometimes anxious/paranoid thoughts lead to nervousness and you creating self-imposed barriers on yourself.

If you do feel anxious or scared, don't be bitter towards yourself for feeling that way. Try to accept emotions you feel because there's a reason you felt it. I've not been depressed in a while because I don't tell myself off for having negative emotions, I accept them and allow myself to feel them for a period of time and then I move on. You should try that!

Be careful - while distracting yourself is good, you've got to find a way to deal with the problem and not just ignore it.

One final tip I'd like to give you is that if you don't feel like you're progressing after seeing a therapist, see other ones until you feel you're getting the help you need!! Wish you all the best, I hope you feel better soon. :thumbsup: