1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about HIV

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Boyfriends, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Boyfriends

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey there,

I'm making the assumption here that my boyfriend does in fact have HIV. He may not. We don't know.

I'm going to cut to chase. I have a boyfriend of about 8 months now who I love very much. Before me, he had a "slut phase" that apparently involved quite a bit unprotected sex. He never got tested.

We had unprotected sex from around March - June, all unprotected with me as the bottom. Once I finally told him that I hated bottoming, we stopped having sex (instead relying on handjobs and blowjobs to get us through).

I know I was stupid, but anyway I got tested for HIV in the beginning of August, essentially "covering" me from the period of March to early May as for not contracting it from him. I know it doesn't always work like that, so I have another appointment to get tested for HIV at the end of October (as I bottomed once at the end of July). That means that from early May to the end of June, when we stopped having sex, I would know whether I got it then or not.

My main question is this: if I didn't contract HIV from him within the first month and half-ish, what are the chances of me getting it from him at all? Like I said, he might not even have anything - I'm just err-ing on the side of caution.

But assuming he has it, wouldn't I have most likely gotten it near the beginning when we first started having sex?

Thanks

2. LD579

It's too difficult to give any number estimates or probably even any relative estimates because everyone's viral loads differ from others' as well as the fact that an individual's viral load can differ too depending on the time, besides the fact that certain sex acts are more risky than others, and the way you do certain sex acts can make them riskier, too.

I will say, though, that it is great you're getting tested (Maybe your boyfriend could get tested, too?). One thing to keep in mind is that bareback sex between two people who 100% do not have HIV (Hypothetically assuming that two people do not whatsoever have it, which is extremely difficult to know for certain because some people cheat even when we don't think they would ever do so; Note that I'm not saying that your boyfriend is doing so, but that it's impossible to know lots of the time) technically cannot possibly result in HIV transmission, but that it can pass on other STIs that either of you may have, and that it could always, regardless of STI status, result in a urinary tract infection (Assuming it's anal sex).

Using a condom's the easiest way to prevent either of you from contracting any STIs or UTIs, etc. It's also pretty cost-effective compared to the outcome of treating a contracted disease. Hopefully this helped! =]

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're HIV- in your next test, it doesn't mean "you won't catch it because you haven't yet". The smart money is just to stop playing the numbers game, and start practicing safe sex. Not once in a while, but always.

Lex

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There aren't any real numbers I can think of right now on what the odds are you could contract HIV, but I will say that the receptive partner in unprotected MSM anal sex is at a much higher risk than any other sexual partner or activity for that matter (sans maybe sharing needles).

I also think it's a good thing you're getting tested, and it would be even better if you both got tested, to put everything to rest once and for all. Maybe you could get him to go on the same day as you, as you can be there for each other for support, and to be together when you get your results back.

And to echo what Luthan said, condoms for anal sex are always a very good idea, not only to protect against HIV, but also so the penetrative partner does not get a urinary tract infection, which isn't good for either party.

#4 BryanM, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  5. Ridiculous

The risk of contracting HIV from unprotected receptive anal sex with an HIV positive partner is estimated to be between 0.04% and 3.0% according to this study.
    This study puts an upper estimate of 1.7%.
    The risk varies depending on how infectious the person currently is, as Luthan said.

Those numbers are for a single encounter, so while they do seem low (and they are in comparison to other STDs), if we take the worst case scenario of 3% per encounter, then you only need to have unprotected sex 23 times before you've got over a 50% chance of contraction.

Of course you should both go and get checked to put your mind at rest and not rely on chance - but you did ask for numbers :slight_smile:.

6. anonymous010

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Can somebody help me answer some of my questions?

Since i was young i found some pink spots on the head part of my penis. I was kind of wondering on what that is. And I was afraid and shy at the same if i should go to the doctor. And recently, ive notice that there are some other pinkish rash that emerged on the head of my pebis and sometimes it itch. Dont know what that is. Can someone help me? Thanks a lot!

7. Boyfriends

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks everyone for the responses.

My boyfriend REFUSES to get tested (probably out of fear for having caught something). As I said, it's possible he doesn't even have HIV to begin with. When I got tested in August, I was negative for syphilis, chlamydia, etc. so that's not a concern.

I have a really bad relationship with sex as it is, so the thought of getting something like HIV from an activity I hate is really upsetting.

I think to myself that I will have it, because that way if i do have it it isn't as harsh a blow but if I don't have it, it'll be a relief. I'm just kind of a mess right now!

I know I made the choice myaelf, with pressure from him, so if te outcome is that I'm positive, it's my fault. I'm just having some trouble with it!

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If your boyfriend REFUSES to get tested, you have every right, nay, an obligation to your own health to REFUSE to get fucked.

Sorry for being so blunt, but it is mind-boggling to me to even accept the possibility of getting HIV.

Sure it isn't the death sentence it was not so long ago, but getting infected means a lifetime of (generally expensive) meds, known and unknown side effects from the meds (some of which are rather nasty) and now we are seeing that aging with (treated) HIV has a whole host of unexpected outcomes.

I cannot stress strongly enough, brother, that you are accepting an unacceptable situation. I would have thought that a loving relationship involves a duty of care and consideration. If he could be positive, then you have a duty to ask him to get tested, and he has a duty not to put you at risk.

I wish I could post a picture of my sister, who has been living with HIV/AIDS for the last 20 years. It speaks a thousand words.

9. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you tried suggesting to him that he gets a home tests and does it at home? Maybe his issue is partly the privacy factor.

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is very concerning. He should be concerned about his own safety as well as yours. I personally see this as a major red flag. I would not do anything sexual with him until he gets tested, because like you have said, you do not want to have anything.

11. Boyfriends

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    He refuses to get tested because he hates doctors offices and the like. I told him our health clinic is relaxed and not like that but he won't go. He also admitted that he's a afraid that maybe he DID catch something.

Getting fucked is awful for me as it is, and it causes a host of negative emotions. Possibly getting HIV from it would absolutely devestate me but I essentially called off all sex anyway so at this point it's a waiting game. I have my appointment already set up but I just wanted to calm my mind for the time being.

And if I get it so be it. I did it to myself, even though I know I'll always resent him for being so pushy about unprotected sex with me as the bottom (as I always made it clear that O hated doing it).

12. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can relate to the hating doctors offices part of this. I've never been a fan of doctors, and the only reason I go now is to keep access to my T.

He needs to understand that this is something that could kill him. A simple visit to the doctors office will not kill him. It will also free him from uncertainty of not knowing if he is positive or not.

13. Benway

Benway Guest

I gotta echo that, too. The first and only time I had sex (I was with a woman) I didn't wear a condom and although I tested negative for all 'normal' STDs I did get a nasty UTI which took about a week and a half of antibiotics to shake, and an additional month to fully recover. I also had gotten a bad case of thrush, which was why I got myself tested for HIV, but that was actually something else unrelated.

As for HIV, the chances of contracting are fairly low from what I understand but that doesn't justify unprotected sex with someone who you think may be or know is HIV+. My cousin's partner dropped dead at the ripe old age of 34 about a year ago and he (my cousin) had a big HIV scare-- while he didn't contract it himself, his partner had died from it, but because there was no palimony his partner's family wouldn't even let him go to the funeral. It's a terrible disease and it varies from person to person.

14. Boyfriends

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    After the stress I've put myself through wondering if I have it, that regardless I'm going to start using condoms with him. We just don't have sex for the time being.

I just want some piece of mind until my next test! since he won't get tested, I'll probably always feel like there's a chance I'll get it.

15. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Have you communicated your concerns with him? If not, I would suggest having a serious conversation with him about this. Part of a relationship is respecting each others concerns, and this is something that he seems to not be doing here.

16. Boyfriends

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    But at this point what does it matter to discuss to with him? We stopped having unprotected sex at this point, so if he had something I either got it or I didn't. Yes I should have communicated the importance earlier on, but I didn't, and that's my fault. We essentially won't be having any high-risk behaviour anymore. Sure it'd be ideal for him to know for sure but if he isn't going to get checked then I can't make him.

If I get tested and it's negative, he doesn't feel the pressure to do something he doesn't wanna do (get tested). If it's positive, I speak for him and tell him he's positive too.

I knew the consequences. I still did it. Am I upset that he potentially infected me with something? Absolutely, because of his own stupidity. But my own stupidity led me to doing what I did as well.

I'd love to know his status because then I could know whether or not I need to 'worry' about the future but for now he has no interest in getting checked.

But again, this is all assuming he even has HIV. He might be clean but I know HIV is a very real thing, so I want to be continue on safely by assuming he MIGHT have it.

(I realize it sounds like I'm essentially turning down your response but I'm not. I'm just a bit stressed about it.)

17. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    HIV is a virus that literally inserts itself into your cell's DNA. It becomes a part of you, just like cancer, which is why it's so dangerous. That's why only one person (ONE PERSON!!!) has so far been scientifically proven (which is not the same as 100% proven) to be cured of HIV infection.

When I first told my mom I was gay (over the phone during a stressful situation), she told me her first thoughts were "AIDS" and "death". I can understand why because she worked in a company that had some openly gay workers, even her supervisor. She was shocked to find out one of them had died from AIDS. My dad, too, knew some coworker who died. The only population in the US that is having higher rates of HIV infections are gay men.

---------- Post added 13th Oct 2014 at 11:12 PM ----------

I liked this article about HIV+ people in Gawker.
    Please Don't Infect Me, I'm Sorry

---------- Post added 13th Oct 2014 at 11:12 PM ----------

I liked this article about HIV+ people in Gawker.
    Please Don't Infect Me, I'm Sorry

18. Boyfriends

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the link, resu. That was a really interesting read. If anything it kind of calmed me down regarding if I potentially get HIV. I have my test a week today so I'm prepared for the longest week of my life.

19. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's always like the clock is moving as slow as molasses when waiting for any medical test result.

The situation is that you should not accept exposure to HIV if it means doing something to please another person and just keep on going at it because you haven't gotten a positive test. The fact that you are negative is a good thing so do what you can to keep it that way. Also, what was going on with him at the time that he was being promiscuous and doing it without protection? In fact, it continued with you, as well. Information on protection is readily available so there's no excuse.

It sounds like you have two decisions to make. The first is how you will approach safe sex to protect YOU. The second is if this is the right person for YOU. We don't have all the information. Best of luck.

20. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, I would have serious reservations staying in a relationship with someone who is so self centered he refuses to get tested AND insists on barebacking. For that matter, someone who cares so little about his own health and well being that he won't get tested... Would be a red flag as well.