1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to feel confident in the gym

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by ricky 999, Oct 13, 2014.

1. ricky 999

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I really need to go to the gym as I keep on gradually putting on weight. I always feel like getting a membership but I keep on delaying this till 'tomorrow'. This happens because I am self conscious and have no self confidence.

I am overweight and have no strength or endurance whatsoever.

I don't want to be made fun of by all the 'body builders' and other really fit guys that go there.

Besides that, there's the fact of me not being straight.

How do you guys do it?

2. shinji

shinji Guest

You don't go to the gym to "lose weight", you go there to gain muscle mass.

Losing weight happens via adjusting your calorie intake based on your BMI.

As for your "self conscious" problem. Blast some nice music via some cheap (since sweat will quickly ruin them unless they are resistant) earbuds. Remind yourself that other people there are thinking the same thing you are "hmm, what is he thinking of me, omg i'm ugly".

Also, turn it into a game... try and see, how many of said bodybuilders might be gay, look at them, analyze them! It's fun!

3. SLguys

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to go to the gym to use the treadmills while my friend did weight training. I'd put on my headphones and mostly stare out the window while treading. Of course, if someone cute happened to be there, I'd sneak some "eye candy" peaks.

I now walk the mall for exercise. Forget about those around and just do it. It's about you, not them. You'll be just another crazy mall walker. Endurance will come with time. Start slow and work your way up. I've been at it a few months and now do 3.5-4.0 miles per hour.

Use something like Lose It! to track calories. Set realistic goals and give it your best efforts.

For the record, I'm down about 56 pounds with another 128 to go. Hey, if I can do it, so can you. Make it work for you. It's not easy, but it is doable if you set your mind to it.

4. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    a lot of people in the gym are in just the same boat as you - that's why they are there

so you just go.. and cut out any thoughts of other people

and headphones help !!

5. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are always going to be some people at the gym that are just there to maintain their perfect bodies--they're fun to look at! But almost any gym also has a lot of people who are there because they actually need to be there. I've never witnessed anything like people making fun of people for not being fit--everyone there is doing more than most people to stay fit, after all. As for the gay thing, every gym I've ever belonged to was at least half gay. Depending on where you live that may not be the case but I feel pretty confident you won't be the only one--statistically I'm pretty sure gay guys work out at a gym at a higher incidence than most demographics. Go, bring some tunes, have fun!

6. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

There's actually a few number of people who make fun of others, most people there mind their own business with earphones in, they're too focused in their training. Besides the ones who do are always on the weights.

What you want is the cardio equipment.

7. 143kc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I do not go to the gym, but I am an avid runner and frequently lift in my school's weightroom. Whenever I see an overweight person working out, I do not make fun of them, but rather encourage them and admire them. Other than the stigma of working out while overweight, they are also most likely feeling like total poop at that moment. When you are first getting in shape it is really hard, but once you already are like me, it doesn't hurt much anymore. Go to the gym, you have nothing to lose!

8. buffboys69

go to the gym with a stupid hat you will learn to not care what others think