1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about getting tested

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by josh9623, Oct 13, 2014.

1. josh9623

Now that I have made my "sexual debut" how often should I be getting tested, and what for? Also, are there any symptoms that I should look out for that could signal a potential infection?

2. Ridiculous

Rather than looking out for specific symptoms, just make sure you a familiar with your body and if anything changes then you will be able to recognise it. Many STIs don't show immediate symptoms and you may not realise you have them, so regular checkups are definitely a good idea.

How frequently you get checked should depend on:
    - how frequently you have sex; someone who has sex multiples times a week obviously is at far greater risk than someone who has sex a few times a month
    - who you are having sex with; a single person vs multiple different partners, and people you know vs people you don't
    - what you are doing; anal is much riskier than blowjobs, which are much riskier than handjobs etc.
    - whether you are using condoms or not

Typically it's recommended that gay guys get checked every 6 months but if you are taking part in riskier activities - particularly having a lot of different partners or having unprotected sex - then more frequently is a good idea.

On the other hand if you are in a committed, monogamous, long term relationship and you use a condom then you could go less frequently.

They should offer to test for everything you liable to be at risk for without you having to ask for specific tests. Chlamydia, gonnorhea, hepatitis, syphilis, HIV, HPV (warts), herpes, and urinary tract infections are what you should expect to be tested for though. Some of these may not actually be checked if you aren't showing symptoms (e.g. they probably won't check for herpes unless you are showing signs of having it).