1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glandular Fever

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Fairybread, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Fairybread

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, a week or so ago I was diagnosed with glandular fever, and its main symptom for me is making me extraordinarily tired (also headaches and dizziness). If I manage to get up in the morning and go to class, I can only manage a few hours before having to go home and nap for a few hours. The problem is, it's coming up end of year exams for me, and I'm unsure how to balance that around this exhaustion. I'm usually sleeping between 6-10 hours at night, so enough. Does anyone who has had glandular fever before have any advice on how to deal with it during exams? Like, how to study effectively when almost always tired or how to manage the glandular fever more effectively? The exams are the middle two weeks of November, so I'm doubtful I'll be better by then.

Thanks in advance!

2. phony

Oh, I'm sorry, it's true, being tired is one of the symtoms. You have to keep the fever low with antipiretics (aspirin, paracetamol, whatever) cause fever makes you feel bad overall.

You could try using some nervous system activator, I use some pills for my exams. The easy ones are called methylphenidate and a stronger one is called modafinile. You need a doctor's receipt for this nervous system drugs, and I'm not a doctor, I'm just suggesting you, and you CAN NOT take this drugs in a long term.

On the other hand just use coffee or black tea, that will keep you awake.

3. black-cat

Brace yourself, I am going to babble on here, hahaha.

I have had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (sister illness to Fibro and Lupus) since I was 10, and earlier on in the year I had a last-year-of-high-school-exams, as well as continuing education and the yearly tests and such that you get, I know how to survive these things rather well, if I say so myself. I have also had Glandular Fever- you poor little bugger. It sucks hell.

- Be sensible. Don't do anything "big" (yup, even if that is depending on how you are, going to a friend's house or doing classes) before each exam, give yourself a bit of TLC and try to save your energy up.
    - Little things like being organised as to when you have your exam and knowing exactly where you are going can really help, so you aren't wandering around trying to find the right exam hall.
    - If you have a buddy that you trust and is....in tune with the exam you can ask them for help, sharing notes or giving bullet points for when you miss a class or whatever in the upcoming days.
    - Little and often, when it comes to revision. Just little bursts- if that is 10 minutes or 3 hours depending on your health, then rest, and try again. Cramming doesn't work when you are sick, you just exhaust yourself.
    - I am probably going to sound like your Grandma, but have a decent meal before the exam- again, depending on your health and the time of the exam, you will want to have a decent meal the night before so you aren't fumbling around making toast (or worse, skipping it) on the day of the exam, ofcourse this will be difficult if you are vomiting a lot, but thats kinda the point, ahah.
    - Listen to your body. It is cleverer than you are. Be sensible, take things an hour at a time and try not to worry too much, it will be fine!

*hugs* I hope you are feeling better very soon, and you have a speedy recovery, oh, and good luck for the exams. :slight_smile:

4. black-cat

I have had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (sister illness to Fibro and Lupus) since I was 10, and earlier on in the year I had a last-year-of-high-school-exams, as well as continuing education and the yearly tests and such that you get, I know how to survive these things rather well, if I say so myself. I have also had Glandular Fever- you poor little bugger. It sucks hell.

- Be sensible. Don't do anything "big" (yup, even if that is depending on how you are, going to a friend's house or doing classes) before each exam, give yourself a bit of TLC and try to save your energy up.
    - Little things like being organised as to when you have your exam and knowing exactly where you are going can really help, so you aren't wandering around trying to find the right exam hall.
    - If you have a buddy that you trust and is....in tune with the exam you can ask them for help, sharing notes or giving bullet points for when you miss a class or whatever in the upcoming days.
    - Little and often, when it comes to revision. Just little bursts- if that is 10 minutes or 3 hours depending on your health, then rest, and try again. Cramming doesn't work when you are sick, you just exhaust yourself.
    - I am probably going to sound like your Grandma, but have a decent meal before the exam- again, depending on your health and the time of the exam, you will want to have a decent meal the night before so you aren't fumbling around making toast (or worse, skipping it) on the day of the exam, ofcourse this will be difficult if you are vomiting a lot, but thats kinda the point, ahah.
    - Listen to your body. It is cleverer than you are. Be sensible, take things an hour at a time and try not to worry too much, it will be fine!

*hugs* I hope you are feeling better very soon, and you have a speedy recovery, oh, and good luck for the exams. :slight_smile:

5. black-cat

6. Fairybread

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hiya! Thanks for the response. Fortunately I haven't got too much of a fever most of the time! When it does go up I do take paracetamol for it, which usually helps.

I am a little wary of new pills, as I'm allergic to a fair few, and am actually having difficulty taking any anyway (I've had so many pills lately - for tonsillitis - I can't stand swallowing them)

I would use coffee/black tea, but they don't agree with me all too well :/

---------- Post added 19th Oct 2014 at 04:41 PM ----------

Those are really good tips, thanks! I'll definitely try keep them in mind. I've already had one lot of exams, with rather chronic tonsillitis (though I suspect glandular fever was underlying that too) and somehow managed to pass most of them, with breakdowns before each one. I'll try to have a decent meal the night before, though that can be difficult on a student budget, so I may ask my parents to help out. Fortunately I seem to have missed out on the vomiting symptom, which I'm glad for!

(*hug*) thanks for the reply and well wishes :slight_smile:

7. Blossom85

I only had glandular fever when I was 4 so I can't help out with what your asking, I just wanted to extend my thoughts and best wishes to you for a speedy recovery.

8. Fairybread

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks Blossom - I sure hope it's speedy!